Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

CEN Shocks on Savage

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 10:06 PM
DahlELama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEN Shocks on Savage

I posted this over in the general Monster Truck forum... but thought maybe someone here may have an answer or idea...

I bought a set of 8 Cen Genesis shocks on eBay the other day and they fit great. Aside from putting a lighter weight oil in them and drilling an extra hole in the piston (1/16 inch). I need to find some softer springs for these shocks as they are waaaayyy too stiff. Anyone know of springs that would fit them?

Here are some pics.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Bane9900

Default RE: CEN Shocks on Savage

can you truck still stand all the way up??? I was thinking about trying some..
Old 07-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Bane9900

other thaen the stiff ness are they smooth?? easy to fill with oil??
Old 07-27-2006, 07:27 AM
bam.bam

Looks good!

How's the truck height compared to the savage shocks?
Old 07-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Chronic

You might want to go hit up the guys in the buggy forum and see if any of them would measure a set of CEN Matrix rear springs. You might get lucky and find they are the same diameter and close enough in height to work. The buggy spring tension would be more inline with what you need for the Savage unless you are hitting some serious jumps.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Might be worth posting in the CEN forum, seeing what the Nemesis racers are using. With the shocks being extra thick etc, would you not get away with running only one on each corner?
Old 07-28-2006, 01:49 AM
DahlELama

Yup.. I hooked up with a set of 8 Matrix rear springs. That should be the ticket to smooth it out.

I don't want to run just one shock on each corner however that would probably be the right way to use these shocks. I like my monster truck to look as tough as it runs. Just personal preference. I save the high speed handling stuff for my Mayhem.

With the Genesis shocks the Savage loses about a 1/2" of static ride height (thats just weight on wheels). Also, you lose almost an inch of full suspension travel. If you look at the HB shock side by side with the Genesis shock, the actual shaft length to the bump stop is only 1/2" difference.

As soon as my springs show up I will let you know how it handles. I'm thinking it should be much more stable at speed and still soak up the big stuff.

I do like the HB shocks that I have now as they work pretty well with the triple rate Raven springs. But they do seem to leak a bit especially the shock closest to the exhaust. I'm probably boiling the fluid in that one during long runtimes.

e.