Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

What's your dream MT track??

Old 08-11-2006, 07:57 PM
SpeedAddict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your dream MT track??

Sorry if this is a repeat. I used the search and couldn't find any like this. I'm just trying to find out how you would design an MT track if you could.

Mine would have at least one steep hill for climbing, gravel, grass, sand, mud, dirt, asphalt, and boulders (for climbing). I think that this would truly test the potential of MTs and drivers. You wouldn't be able to run one of the low stance MTs, because IMO they weren't meant to be driven like that. MTs were meant to go over anything and everything. Let me know what you think![:-]

RACE THEM HIGH!!!!!
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2006, 10:37 AM
SpeedAddict

Default RE: What's your dream MT track??

I won't be posting for the next 4 days unless I get a chance. I'm going to go visit family for about 4 days.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Chronic

It would be stupid to build a clay track just for unsanctioned MT racing, but I would like to see one geared more for the big trucks. Namely the jumps. A little curve to the faces of the jumps for one, and more pitch to launch the trucks higher. The local tracks available to me have shorter straight jumps that launch the truck really far, but with minimal height. The needed in-air correction of the average MT would benefit from higher launches and it would add to the race.

A minimum 100' x 100' footprint with at least one full length flat straight down the backside, then a heavy techinical section with plenty of off camber action, but not too many whoops just to keep the higher MTs moving along. A couple of loooong tabletops to force a topside landing and keep the strong guys from just clearing it with a blip of the throttle. Triples and doubles everwhere. I think a MT track should have lots of elevation changes, but with smoother transitions to keep from upsetting the chassis so much. A racetrack that any basher could love... almost similar to your average backyard dirt track, but much bigger and on a proper racing surface.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:47 PM
pulse213

It would be stupid to build a clay track just for unsanctioned MT racing, but I would like to see one geared more for the big trucks.
Nah not stupid,you just can't do it for the money. I'm building one for the MT's with much of what you mention Chronic. The drivers stand will need to be 8'-10' tall to see over some of the tall walls,jumps,and berms. I've cut a few wide ditches in between to add to the elevation changes. Some of the berms and jumps have a steep 10' plus length to them. If you loose your momentum,you'll have a hard time climbing one or two of them.The table top also has a steep hooked approach,and is about 5'-6' tall and 25' across (not long enough). One of our guys tested the jump with his savvy,and got over 10' of air and cleared to tabletop. LOL

Track is an odd trapezoid shape,like 180' x 150' x 80' x 200'. Even with the size there will only be around 900'-1000' of drive line. Lanes will be 12'-18' wide depending on the distance from the stand. It's really stretched out compared to the buggy/truggy track,so the MT's aren't always flipping over in hair pin turns. So far I don't have lots of jumps. Because of the size of the jumps I do have,the 20' in elevation changes,and the overall size of the track,it would take an army of corner marshals to hold a race. Still trying to figure out the layout,to be more corner marshal friendly. It's ready for drain tile when I do figure it out. I'm waiting on some rain right now to tighten up the walls,and still need to raise the drivers stand.

Also for the MT's we've built a sand drag strip. Wizz and I will be testing that out in the morning,with our new paddle tires and stretched frames.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:51 PM
HerrSavage

When I first saw the title to this thread my answer was going to be "who needs tracks for MT's??..", but hey you guys make it sound pretty cool...
Old 08-12-2006, 03:59 PM
PillowPants

A track where it was for Strictly MT's. Where high GC was a good thing. Big jumps, maybe a section where you run through a tiny bit of water, river rock, etc..
Old 08-12-2006, 04:09 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

i'd like a track that people didn't ***** about a huge double
Old 08-12-2006, 04:15 PM
HerrSavage

A big section of a like, tilled, dried farm-field.. (like in one of the Farm-Bash vids from slapmafro..)
Old 08-12-2006, 04:22 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

i'd like a track that people didn't ***** about a huge double
oh please dude. A double you never even attempted, to know that it was poorly placed and barely clearable...
Old 08-12-2006, 04:27 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

I know, but it doesn't stop me from having fun giving you crap lol
Old 08-12-2006, 04:29 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

I know, but it doesn't stop me from having fun giving you crap lol
lol it stopped me from having fun when i hit the lightpost they had positioned the the left of the landing got intimiate with my LST's chassis plate![:@]
Old 08-12-2006, 04:37 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

...and now your LST looks like my 2nd Thunderbird
Old 08-12-2006, 05:34 PM
PillowPants

lol, pretty much!
Old 08-12-2006, 08:13 PM
pulse213

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

A big section of a like, tilled, dried farm-field.. (like in one of the Farm-Bash vids from slapmafro..)
Every where we look around here there's farm ground. I get tired of bouncing and look forward to something smooth like a track to drive on. LOL The 4 sides of the track property are against a feild,a pasture,a small draw (which is part of the MT track),and a creek lined with timber.

I'm going to mount the X-cam in an RC plane and do a fly over when I'm finished. Maybe if I can sweet talk him into buzzing the tabletop,we can jump him with a savvy.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:20 AM
HerrSavage

THAT would be cool..

Seems all I can ever find to drive on is grass or pavement... Just meant it would be good to have a mix-up.. Just like a bit of smooth straight, then a 20 yard-patch or so of rough stuff, then smooth again..

DO that Savage jump thing though with the plane..
Old 08-13-2006, 01:47 AM
46u

I am just glade we have a local track for the first time in YEARS! I was just about to get out of all my RC stuff do to being so bored with just bashing. Yes I would love to have a personal track as I would be at it all the time and would not care how it was set up. There is no short supply of clay hear in Georgia.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:54 PM
SpeedAddict

The only track I know of by me is about 1 hr. away in Stockton. Ripon used to have one, but I think it's closed. I just wanted to know if I was the only one who thought that MT's with low ground clearance for racing is stupid. It's not an MT then!!!!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:58 PM
SavageGoZoom

I race at my indoor track with my savage... But also skate parts are the best... Expecialy BMX tracks... great for MT's
Old 08-21-2006, 01:46 PM
jas11151990

im covered since i have a mini motocross track that i ride on that is perfect for my X
Old 08-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Akhor

Mine would have Playboy bunnies fetching me booze.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:57 PM
jas11151990

yes that would be nice but i think sarcasim isnt needed jk
Old 08-21-2006, 05:01 PM
McFlyss

Well i am lucky enough to have me own club. We are still babies at the mo :-) so the track is still being built, just put the fly over in the other day
www.srcoffroad.co.uk
No pics on there yet, have a look at our forum, feel free to join and help us out :-)
Old 08-21-2006, 06:39 PM
black mamba

I'm more into bashing than racing at a track, so my dream track would be a scaled down version of a real Monster Jam track. Just like what was in the last issue of RC Driver magazine. I'd add a mud pit and sand bar for a little bit more driving fun.