Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

SAVAGE TOP SPEED

Old 09-26-2006, 10:19 AM
magictrev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAVAGE TOP SPEED

It seems that speed is never discussed? I have the x with a 4.1 but how much faster is the 4.7? Im new to this but I would like to know what kind of speed u get from different mods. I mean does a pipe give you an extra 2 miles per hour? Does putting a 3speed in give you an extra 4mph? I would like to know how fast people can make there savage go? I realize at some point you cant control it if it gets too fast, but there just doesn't seem to be any specific measurment for what the add on's do? Any comments?
trev
Old 09-26-2006, 11:12 AM
ViperX

Default RE: SAVAGE TOP SPEED

i plan to get a speedo metre for my trucks in the near future - personally i dont bother much with speed - i use the k4.6 engine and its all the speed i need, infact i dont even bother tuning it for optimum speed - but i m curious myself, i guess after i get the speedo, i will do some experimenting

for now my guess is as good as urs
Old 09-26-2006, 11:14 AM
magictrev

where do you get the speedo? is it digital or needle?
trev
Old 09-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Chronic

Nobody on this board has a Savage that is prepped for top speed, or at least they haven't posted it. Expect to see mid-high thirties out of your average nitro MT, and small gains are possible from there. Most of the top speed talk in this(HPI) forum is just speculation. You could put one on a serious diet, gear it right, drop in a modded .28 engine and see some impressive top speeds but there just isn't anyone here that I know of who has gone full bore with building a top speed Savage.

Really makes no difference. You more than likely won't be launching it off too many ramps at 40mph and you'll never even see top speed on all but a handful of tracks. Running it back and forth in a straight line just to see how fast it goes gets boring real quick.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:24 AM
ViperX

ORIGINAL: Chronic

Running it back and forth in a straight line just to see how fast it goes gets boring real quick.
very true - defeats the point of owning a savage at the first place
Old 09-26-2006, 11:28 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, speed's not everything.. I find - at least in videos I've seen - that acceleration, particularly of the LST2, is much cooler.. Feels cooler driving too(only going by the slightly noticeable difference of trying a 52T SG.. I've yet to experience a big engine..)

In a more general vein though, I'm kind of skeptical of too much modding.. I suspect the further you get away from stock, the further you get away from reliability.... (I'm too inexperienced to say with authority though, but I sense it nevetheless..) With an X or 25, I think all you need is a 3-speed and tuned pipe, and that's plenty fast - without destroying your drive-train every week.. 'Course, then you don't get the bragging rights..

I would however LOVE to hit a ramp at 40 mph..
Old 09-26-2006, 02:58 PM
amwhite2005

most bashers dont have enough room to get to a real top speed anyway... Also, if you bash it is not a good idea to do a huge jump at WOT. Imagine if you didn't land it correctly![]
Old 09-26-2006, 04:26 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Around 280 MPH[X(]

That is scale miles per hour!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:47 PM
tazfxrp

And HOT!!!!!!!!!

Eric
Old 09-26-2006, 05:52 PM
tazfxrp

Miles in an hour is miles in on hour, a mile is still 5280 feet to 1:8th or 1:1.
People say dog years are 7 to 1 human. a year is 365 or 366 days, to a dog or monkey or human.

Eric
Old 09-26-2006, 07:03 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: tazfxrp

Miles in an hour is miles in on hour, a mile is still 5280 feet to 1:8th or 1:1.
People say dog years are 7 to 1 human. a year is 365 or 366 days, to a dog or monkey or human.

Eric

Then they would not call a Savage 1/8 scale and would be the same thing as a 1 to 1 scale. So you say if a 1 to 1 car is 10 foot long that is the same thing as the Savage? I do not thing so.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:34 PM
-whitey-

i think my savvy will do 40mph with the stock .21 i know for a fact that it does 35mph but it wouldent shift to 3rd cause i was on a rough country road
Old 09-26-2006, 07:56 PM
burnchassis3

I hit ramps at 40 mph often, my ramp is a 4x8 sheet of 1/2 plywood set on top of a park bench.
Roughly 45-60 feet of distance,and 10-20 feet high.
the distance/trajectory depends on how i hit the ramp.
isnt that what its all about?
Stay off the gas/brakes upon landing ,and your drivetrain will not suffer.
As far as mods, all alloy core,bulkless bulks alloy shock towers, alloy diffs,and housings, titanium dogs,and pins,steel cups,and steel spur combo.
Most importantly full roll cage,and engine guard.
CS
Old 09-27-2006, 12:30 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Granted, my Sav is a year-old, bone-stock 25, so it's probably only doing 30 mph, but I don't care what anybody says, hitting ramps at WOT is the best part of the whole hobby for me.. I hit this ramp well over 100 times last Saturday, every time at WOT.. I think a bigger engine would have given me more mid-air control, but necessarily launched me higher or further - or at least not THAT much..

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...=Rrrgghhhh.flv

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ent=Crash2.flv (air-control isn't as easy with only RWD.. Blown front diff.. Which reminds me - I think I may be a tad faster than normal, with only RWD..)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48748.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	531087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57705.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	531088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89991.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	531089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qc38792.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	531090  
Old 09-27-2006, 03:31 AM
Coxwaan

thats what ive got a shumacher fusion for. i have a venom speed meter on that, but have no desire to put it on my savage. i think it would just dissapoint me lol....
Old 09-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Chronic

Those aren't exactly the type of ramps I was talking about fellas. You guys are right though, I have a relatively straight launch ramp that I hit pretty hard. I meant you're not going to be hitting a big kicker ramp at 40mph on a regular basis. That would be like a 30 foot vertical drop. You can do it... but I doubt you would be repeating it too many times in one session unless you just didn't care about breakage.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Stablock

Draw two lines 100 feet apart. You'll need room on either side of the lines for braking and to reach your top speed. Do it on a nice level road. Then you'll need a stop watch and someone to time you. Get your truck up to operating temperature and do a run. You want your truck to be at top speed when you hit the first line and continue until you hit the second line. Get that someone to start the timer as soon as your truck starts to cross the first line. That someone will have to stop the timer as soon as your truck starts to cross the second line. Do it a few time. This will allow the time keeper to get some practice on the timing. Then, do it several time in both direction and record each time. Now, with your calculator, take 100 divide by your average time and multiply that by .68 and it will give you your speed in mph.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:51 PM
KILL--ROY

If you want to go fast get a car, savages are for bashing, but the 4.6 is a bit better than the 4.1[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 09-28-2006, 05:50 AM
Weiser

I have a Savage SS 4.6 and last weekend we clocked it with a radar gun hitting 53MPH.
The truck is insane...The best of both worlds really.... Insane power and bashing ability..
Keeping the front wheels on the ground is a challenge... hehe
Old 09-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Chronic

Let's hear the list of mods

Not trying to be a ***** here, but 53mph out of anything that even remotely resembles a stock Savage is hard to believe.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Rex2342

In the last RCCA the Rock Concepts Savage went like 67mph or something close to that. I believe they used off the shelf gearing and a Collari(sp) .30 engine. With the right gears and a diet the Savage can be fast but who wants top speed? The Savage is meant to be abused.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:42 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never run my savage since i bought my collari 32. It has been sittin on a shelf after I put it $300 into it and I have been debating weather or not I should sell it. That last post makes me feel like i want take that motor out of its box and drop it in. Now 67mph with a 3.0 now imagine a 3.2. HeHe... my Savage is heavily modded.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:34 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Top speed in the 50s for a Savage is possible. For sure, you will need the power of a .28ci engine or better (heck, some .26 engines will spank alot of .28s out there!). A 3spd transmission and the highest gear ratios (I use 20T CB & 47T spur) will do the trick. Also, at least 6in diameter tires are needed. On my top speed experiments, I keep mostly a stock Savage SS kit and because of the weight and the high gear ratios, acceleration seriously sufers (it accelerates like a fat old pig); but when the engine hits 35000RPM or more, it really books.

I've had my Savage clocked with a police radar and a cheap-o radar I bought from RadioShack (I love my Bushnell, but it does not have all the neat radar functions that a police radar has). The fastest I hit so far was 52MPH (or was it 55? I cannot remember. I say 52 since I remember for sure seeing 52 as one of my readings). To confirm the speed was not a fluke, I did several passes at full trigger up and down the street and discarded ridiculous numbers such as 80MPH, 75MPH, or even 110MPH! These numbers are from the radar clocking the large surface areas of the wheels! (The Savage cannot even hit those speeds under mathematically calculated speeds with the engine turning 40000RPM!)

I have still yet to convince my friend to pace my savage in a real car. I would like for him to drive while I sit in the back and have my Savage follow us. I really want to do this so as to eliminate any errors of clocking the wheel speeds.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:07 AM
Chronic

I've never speed tested mine, but my last setup was pretty much what you just listed except for an 18T bell. Spec 2 engine, three speed, 6.375" tall tires, all the normal go-fast goodies... it was very fast and I had trouble keeping the tires glued, but I still have a hard time believing 50+ miles per hour was just a clutchbell swap away. I dont' know... maybe.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:25 AM
46u

Sorry to many possibilities of errors with radar guns and that is why anything to be a official recorded it has to been done with a certified speed trap. They have clocked trees running 60 with a radar gun that where planted in the ground.

I do not care about top speed, as I did not buy my Savage for that I just want to get around the track as fast as I can. But if top speed is what you are wanting good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.