Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

pull or roto?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 06:21 AM
kd7oir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pull or roto?

I'm braking in a Hot bodies .46 and was wondering if I should be using the pull starter rather than the roto starter? I've stripped two 1 ways, killed a roto spergear, took all the teath off a roto pinion gear, and destroyed a brand new Tiger Drive. This motor hasn't run 5 min. and I want to play. I'm going to try to press the bearing from the Tiger Drive into one of the bad 1 way bearing nuts and try the pull starter as that is the only thing I haven't tried and the last of my starter parts. Please help, because I want to get this broke in so I can go play!!!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:39 AM
DaveG55

Default RE: pull or roto?

Wow, how are you going about the break-in? Are you preheating the block? Backing the glow plug off a bit? Starting off from BDC? Maybe putting a small drop of ARO in the cylinder?
A new engine is extremely tight and break in is really hard on starter parts and it kinda sounds like you're getting impatient and forcing things that don't want to be forced.
If you're having that much trouble with the roto start a pull start is not going to be any easier. There's still the owb to give problems, a spring to break out and a string to snap and if the engines set real reach (as it should be) it won't be easy to start anyway.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Vigilante212

If you broke all that stuff I would check to make sure you didnt damage anything inside the engine first. If it all looks good make sure you preheat the engine head with a heat gun or hair dryer to at least 150 degrees. Stick the glow plug igniter on and it should start up fine. Check to make sure the plug is good by taking it off and putting it on the end of the igniter and if it glows orange its good if not check your igniter to see if its charged fully and check again. If it still doesn't glow you need a new glow plug. Put the new one in and heat the head and try again.

Another thing to note make sure to set your piston at bottom dead center when its cooling off and for starting this way you can get it moving a bit before compression kicks in.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:44 AM
kd7oir

Oh, I have had this thing running. The broken parts happened after I tried to restart it when it died. It's smoking plenty, so I know I have it rich enough. I'm not forcing anything. The only thing I can think of is, it might be a little to rich, so when it dies it fluds. So when I try to start it again it hidrolocks. I doesn't even get the chance to get up to temp before it dies (partly throttle controle, my first car motor not first nitro motor)so I'm going try to eather back it off a little(turn in the HSN) or when it dies, clamp the lines, pull the plug and spin it over to make sure it's not fludded before I try to start it again. Also I don't have a rotostart starter, I'm using a drill (a Dewalt 18v w/3speed on HI) could this be part of my proublem?
Old 03-03-2007, 04:40 PM
kd7oir

Up date. I think I found the proublem. The shaft that the 1way fits on is wore out. Found another 1way and loostened the glow plug, fired it up, and while it was running I tightened the glow plug. Well it ran for the first heat cycle and when I went to fire it up for the second time, I did the same thing. I loostened the glow plug, the motor spun around twice, tryed to fire and then nothing. Bad 1way again. Where would I get the shaft for the hot bodies .46 is the next question? For now I'm going to put the ofna motor in so I can play atleast.