Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage In Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 10:07 AM
DiscoStu666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage In Build

Hi Guys.

I have bought a Savage X that was scrap and I have decided to build it up from scrap, save what I can and then upgrade it as I can afford to do so.

The chassis was smashed, two cracks and more bends the a home plumbing system!! So that has been scrapped, I have purchased the LCG chassis set and I have bought a brand new Picco .28 Monster (Got it soooo Cheap((I sold the old X engine) so that is sorted, I have managed to save the main gearboxes and have bought some new gears for the front and rear diffs. I will continue to use the same spur and 2 speed system for the time being, the Spur is the new design fro HPI so is steel.

I need some CVD's all round as the dogbones were on there last legs to say the least, I have replaced all the bearings as these were all very poorly.

I am going to order the CVD's this week, but I have looked on a few forums and they all say not to bother with the Alloy upper and lower arms, Why is this?? If I want to make a very quick truck what is the lighter alternative and where can I find it??

I have salvaged the radio gear and fuel tank plus all the little bits.

Anyone make any suggestions on getting the most out of this truck, this is the second Savage I have had, my first was a 25 that I had everypart allloy and people called it a show car not a go car. I dont want to fall into this trap again.

Stuart
Old 04-16-2007, 10:57 AM
SpikeX

Default RE: Savage In Build

The reason why people say not to get Aluminium parts, is because they bend. Plastic parts will absorb the impact, whilst aluminium will just permanently bend and/or break other, more expensive parts of the truck. Aluminium is also heavier and more expensive than plastic.

The stock Savage Upper and Lower Arms are extremely strong, and will almost never break. And, if you do manage to break one, it will cost a whole lot less than buying a new aluminium one.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Sean C
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to upgrade your A-arms then you can't go wrong with the RPMs

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...Parts.htm#arms
Old 04-16-2007, 11:48 AM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: DiscoStu666

Hi Guys.

I have bought a Savage X that was scrap and I have decided to build it up from scrap, save what I can and then upgrade it as I can afford to do so.

The chassis was smashed, two cracks and more bends the a home plumbing system!! So that has been scrapped, I have purchased the LCG chassis set and I have bought a brand new Picco .28 Monster (Got it soooo Cheap((I sold the old X engine) so that is sorted, I have managed to save the main gearboxes and have bought some new gears for the front and rear diffs. I will continue to use the same spur and 2 speed system for the time being, the Spur is the new design fro HPI so is steel.

I need some CVD's all round as the dogbones were on there last legs to say the least, I have replaced all the bearings as these were all very poorly.

I am going to order the CVD's this week, but I have looked on a few forums and they all say not to bother with the Alloy upper and lower arms, Why is this?? If I want to make a very quick truck what is the lighter alternative and where can I find it??

I have salvaged the radio gear and fuel tank plus all the little bits.

Anyone make any suggestions on getting the most out of this truck, this is the second Savage I have had, my first was a 25 that I had everypart allloy and people called it a show car not a go car. I dont want to fall into this trap again.

Stuart
I'd suggest doing what I did. There's a guy on eBay selling Savage X SS roller kits that you will need to assemble. It's what I did and re-used all of the good parts from my damaged Savage.

Don't buy the aluminum...waste of money unless you're strictly into the bling-bling factor.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:52 PM
DiscoStu666

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your feed back,

What do you mean roller kits???

Cheers

Stuart

Old 04-16-2007, 06:08 PM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: DiscoStu666

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your feed back,

What do you mean roller kits???

Cheers
Stuart
Here... http://cgi.ebay.com/Savage-X-SS-Roll...QQcmdZViewItem

A rolling chassis means typically that it's missing engine, or shocks, or similar pieces. This kit comes nearly 100% complete but as stated is missing the engine and shocks. As you said you should have these pieces from your wrecked truck.