Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Which .32 is the one for me?

Old 05-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Wisconsin Nitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which .32 is the one for me?

I've been searchin around the net and here on the forums to determin which engine should go into my Savage X

I preety much just went by which ones are in stock over at the lhs so my choices are...

The Sure Fire .32 and the OFNA Force .32 nitro engine

So... which one is the better

I have done the research and stuff just would like some of the actual owners input on the engine they put in there Savage X
Old 05-30-2007, 06:37 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which .32 is the one for me?

Out of those two, the Surefire... Too bad they don't have anything else. In my lhs all they support is Picco, Nova, and Ofna. Damn italians I got an STS instead, good luck![8D]
Old 05-30-2007, 07:10 PM
arisking

None, don't get a .32. All bottom end is no fun, get a high revving 30 or a good 28.

-Josh-
Old 05-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Kanza

I'd go for the Surefire since, at a basic level, it is related to the Axial engines and the K4.6. Haver had a problem with that line. On the other hand, if you want a seriously off the wall engine, grab a Novarossi 528xr and hang on for the ride.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Rather-B-Huntin

I can't comment on the .32 engine for a Savage, but I will comment on the OFNA Force engines.
In addition to my Savage X, I bought an OFNA Ultra LX One buggy last week to play with.
My Savage was a bit of a pain in the @$$ to begin with, but once I figured out what I was doing, I LOVE it!! The OFNA is a different story. One week later, I still haven't gotten the @#$% thing to stay fired for more than 30 seconds! Granted, I'm not overly experienced with Nitro, but that Force engine has me pulling my hair out!! If the performance of this engine is indicative of the rest of that line, stay the @#$%&* heck away from it!!

P.S. - When the stock 4.1 engine in my Savvy needs rebuilt, I'm going with the Axial .28! By the time it needs rebuilt, my stock engine will have been redone and I'll always have a spare!
Old 05-30-2007, 11:01 PM
cyclesoul

I have owned the Racers Edge .32 for a couple of years now and have about 10litres of fuel through it. It is a great engine, very reliable, good power (revs pretty hard for a big engine, my Picco .26 doesnt rev much harder!), amazing torque (annoying with std wheelbase, too many wheelies! still wheelies alot with 1.5 extended chasssis and 17/47t gearing), easy to tune, easy to start, the lot! I can run down buggies on our local rc track on the straight and my truck is a basher, not a light racer build, mind you it gets eaten in the tight stuff!

I have only had to replace one pullstart so far and that was from overextending the spring, no fault of the motor. Only thing I would suggest is to forget the mid range needle in the carb exists, you dont need it and it will cause you alot of grief!!!

Great motor.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:44 AM
burnchassis3

I have the Collari 32 and the force 32.
The force is better then the collari..all around..starts easier runs smoother both easy to tune.
I REALLY like my Force 32.About 10 gallons through it
CS
Old 05-31-2007, 08:03 AM
cdm121880

I can not comment on the OFNA at all. However, I run a Sure Fire .32 in my Savy and I love it. Strong, bottom to top! Cyclesoul is right about how high they rev. Check the other thread on this forum where a fella asked about the R.E. .32 (Sure Fire) and was then bombarded by guys who acted like he was an idiot for even considering it, even suggesting other engines (some with smaller displacement) to consider in leu of the R.E.! Saying that it is over-priced and is sub-par compared to these "higher revving" .28 engines. Closed minded ignorance. Most replies were from people who had no first hand experience with the engine! The first post was something like: has anyone used a Sure Fire .32 in there savage? How did it run? Those 2 questions should eleminate anyone who has not experienced the engine in their own savage. Sorry to ramble, just a bit frustrating. Do your research and make a purchase based on which one suits YOU better! If that ends up being the Sure Fire, I can say that it will not disappoint, but, likely surprise you with it's very useable powerband. Good luck and have fun!
Old 05-31-2007, 09:23 AM
supertib

dont wast $200 on a SF 32 or Axial 32.... they truly aren't worth the $$$$$ not when for $180.00 you can buy a Picco P3 28...... the Picco has all the low end tourque of the SF 32 and more top end then a Spec 3.... for $200 and under the Picco 28 is by far the best engine... the SF 32/Axial 32 are made by Kingstar engines in Taiwan, Picco is made in Italy... the build quality of the Picco is heads and tails better then the SF, and its also more powerful....
Old 05-31-2007, 09:25 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: Kanza

I'd go for the Surefire since, at a basic level, it is related to the Axial engines and the K4.6. Haver had a problem with that line. On the other hand, if you want a seriously off the wall engine, grab a Novarossi 528xr and hang on for the ride.
the SF 32 is a rebadged Axial 32. they are 100% identical engines......Axial is a sub company of Kingstar engines in Taiwan... they supply RE with thier 32.......they also make the K 4.6
Old 05-31-2007, 10:31 AM
myrcsupply

IMO - the .32's are overrated. i have a .28 that is just as fast, and lighter, with a much higher RPM range...

just my 2-cents...
Old 05-31-2007, 10:38 AM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: arisking

None, don't get a .32. All bottom end is no fun, get a high revving 30 or a good 28.

-Josh-

Stick with road cars if that's the opinon you have.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:39 AM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: Wisconsin Nitro

I've been searchin around the net and here on the forums to determin which engine should go into my Savage X

I preety much just went by which ones are in stock over at the lhs so my choices are...

I have done the research and stuff just would like some of the actual owners input on the engine they put in there Savage X
What are you looking to spend?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:07 AM
supertib

The Axial 32 is a much more potent motor then the OFNA 32... The Axial is an excelent MT motor, it has awesome low end, super realible, easy to tune, and a durable as they come.... They dont rev as high as some of the other motors, but that also helps them to last longer, the higher the RPM the more likely for bearings and con rods to fail.... These engine designers know this stuff and have engineered these motors to be as powerful as their internal construction will allow.. And in a Savage with a 3 speed you dont notice the lower RPM of the motor nearly as much as you would in a Truggy... The STS 30 is by contrast an absolute missile on top end, but they dont use any better bearings and materials then Axials, and now we are seeing quite a few STS 30's blowing up..... People always get mad when I point out the Axials dont have much top end, and completely ignore all the good things I say about the motor....When people post a thread asking for the sickest fastest MT engine I wont recomend an Axial, as they are not built to be speed demons..... The Axials are tailor made pretty much for multi speed MT's, where broad RPM range is less important... I own 2 of these 32's and run them quite a bit... They are a great MT 4X4 type motor....They are not a great Truggy race motor...

A buddy of mine has an Axial 28 strapped into a buggy, he has a huge CB on the motor and beats on his buggy all day long... he is able to hold the throttle wide open for days on end, the Axial just keeps on chugging away, staying about 30 000 RPM continualy, never any fear of over revving.. he has been doing this with the Axial for 2 seasons now and the motor never misses a beat.....I will tell ya the Axial 28 is not the fastest motor in a Buggy, but i know of no other motor that can withstand that much wide open running in a buggy, this motor spend its life wide open, most motor would have spit out the con rod by now..... So having the high revving screamers is fun and all, but there is alot to be said about a motor that can sustain a reasonable top RPM indefinitely....
Old 05-31-2007, 11:19 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was out bashing with a dude with a Nova XRP recently, and though it was EXTREMELY impressive - funny even... - on the few occasions when he really got on it AND was able to maintain traction... Mostly though I had the feeling that beyond 1/2 throttle his truck - despite 40 Series Mulchers and A LOT of other mods, was nigh-on uncontrollable..

I on the other hand was able to just start my Axial right up, floor it, and pretty much keep it at WOT for the whole time - which is what I like.. For bashing I don't want to have to be too cautious - OR invest more in the drivetrain than in the engine..

Ultimately I don't think there was THAT big of a difference between me at a controllable WOT and what he was able to do while still staying in control... He was defo faster, but with such a crazy engine it's a bit like sitting on a bomb...

Here's the short clip from that day(not great, but it's the footage I had to work with...).. In the end he busted his casing - and because a new one costs $180 he decided to just sell off the internals - and get an Axial 28...

You can hear me laugh at the beginning just at the sheer ludicrousness of how fast that thing was as it exploded forward after shifting to second - but unfortunately the vid doesn't really give you a sense of the speed...

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...=KiesGrube.flv
Old 05-31-2007, 11:22 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

I was out bashing with a dude with a Nova XRP recently, and though it was EXTREMELY impressive - funny even... - on the few occasions when he really got on it AND was able to maintain traction... Mostly though I had the feeling that beyond 1/2 throttle his truck - despite 40 Series Mulchers and A LOT of other mods, was nigh-on uncontrollable..

I on the other hand was able to just start my Axial right up, floor it, and pretty much keep it at WOT for the whole time - which is what I like.. For bashing I don't want to have to be too cautious - OR invest more in the drivetrain than in the engine..

Ultimately I don't think there was THAT big of a difference between me at a controllable WOT and what he was able to do while still staying in control... He was defo faster, but with such a crazy engine it's a bit like sitting on a bomb...

Here's the short clip from that day(not great, but it's the footage I had to work with...).. In the end he busted his casing - and because a new one costs $180 he decided to just sell off the internals - and get an Axial 28...

You can hear me laugh at the beginning just at the sheer ludicrousness of how fast that thing was as it exploded forward after shifting to second - but unfortunately the vid doesn't really give you a sense of the speed...

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...=KiesGrube.flv

I understand fully... and in a stock chassis Savage even an Axial 28 is over kill......... If you noticed the savage my motors run in is highly modified (Integra's truck) and is stable enough to plant the big HP..To truly use one of these killer engines you need to have either truggy or a highly modded Savage.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:09 PM
Wisconsin Nitro

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

What are you looking to spend?
Price doesent matter
Old 05-31-2007, 07:25 PM
black mamba

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...&pn=RCESF10001

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...rc=ns&pn=AX041

The Sure Fire is $20 more than the Axial-$199 vs $179. My personal preference is the Axial as their parts support is excellent and the power output is far greater than what its price point would dictate, but I don't think you can go wrong with either engine. They both have tons of grunt and do it well for less than $200. The Axial also has a optional turbo button, which is dyno proven to increase hp and torque. If I remember right, the increase was 6%. I love my Axial .28T and my next engine is going to be the Axial .32 with a turbo button, so my opinion is totally biased.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:36 PM
Chronic

Do you have to buy one of those engines? I mean the Surefire is a good engine, but there are better options for the Savage out there, and for less money too. I would avoid the Ofna personally...
Old 05-31-2007, 08:49 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...&pn=RCESF10001

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...rc=ns&pn=AX041

The Sure Fire is $20 more than the Axial-$199 vs $179. My personal preference is the Axial as their parts support is excellent and the power output is far greater than what its price point would dictate, but I don't think you can go wrong with either engine. They both have tons of grunt and do it well for less than $200. The Axial also has a optional turbo button, which is dyno proven to increase hp and torque. If I remember right, the increase was 6%. I love my Axial .28T and my next engine is going to be the Axial .32 with a turbo button, so my opinion is totally biased.
you could put the Axial head button on the SF as well... all the parts will interchange between these motors... The Axial is the better choice since its cheaper and they are identical engines.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:22 PM
Wisconsin Nitro

yeah i suppose I can just have them order an axial for me

I was just over there and it looks like they soled the Sure Fire so either way I'm stuck ordering and engine