Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Truck vs. Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Pimpnitaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck vs. Car

I've got a question and I'm hoping that a bunch of you guys can help me out. I'm relatively new the the RC scene and I was curious to see which car you guys (for those who do in fact have multiple cars or a long history of rc cars in general) would choose to have based on fun, dependaibility, upgrade options, parts, price, etc. If you had a choice between the HPI On-Road Nitro 18ss+ kit or the new Savage X - which would you in fact choose? Yes, I understand I'm the Savage forum, but since I'm relatively new to this - I figured it would be a good idea to get a broad scope of opinions. Originially I was gonna choose the car version 18ss+ kit, but day after day I keep checking the forums and I'm kind of stuck in the middle. I think pricing for the 18ss+ kit was getting up there for me and that was including just the basics of things (good radio, tires, a few gears here and there, batteries, charger, etc) and before too long I was looking at $500 easily. Now trust me, I'm not oppossed to that, but from a fun stand point - I want good, fast, dependable fun! I noticed that the new Savage X also comes with the RTR version and the kit version. Yes, I've read some of the posts about the differences they have, but at the end of the day - Tower has each for $429 and one you build the other you don't. Is the stock radio that you get with the RTR version dependable? Meaning, would it be worth it to save the money you wouldn't have to fork over for the radio and stuff and spend it on upgrades? I'm assuming you can still add upgrades to the RTR version (new pipe, roll cage, etc). And another thing, besides the obvious (new engines, tires, shocks, etc) for the Savage X users - what was the first upgraded parts you purchased and did you notice a different. Anyways, if you guys could help - it would definitely be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:00 PM
bb942

Default RE: Truck vs. Car

Well first u need to decide on road of off.Personally I think off read is mych more fun so I say get the savage. I have the savage X and its a great truck. The X SS is great to but you will need to buy some other things and build it. There is also the x 4.6 RTR. My first upgrade was a tuned pipe never even used the stock one.A lot of ppl say that the x ss diff's are good but i havent needed them.still using the stock ones. I also have the dual dick brakes and there great.I recently got some alum cluct shoes and new springs and there great along with a new CB. I really like my savage x. Its verrrry durable and parts are pretty easy to get.I all said and done I suggest getting a savage. Any kind will be good the X RTR,X 4.6 RTR or X SS.No matter what you pick u will be happy.good luck
Old 06-08-2007, 04:06 PM
3spdsavage

IMO....offroad turcks are way better than onroad..in terms of fun factor. I have a nitro tc3 and spent money on it. Unless you raced it, which id idnt....it was pointless. I got so tired of looking for empty parking lots with smooth surface to run it. i ended up selling my onroad. Just wasnt worrth it for me. Now Offroad, I have a Savage LE, Traxxas revo, team losi LST and got my Savage x ss in teh mail today. Off road trucks are really fun. You can go to a parking lot and run it if you choose to onroad or you can do what most people do....find the most effed up terrain and see what your truck is made of.[>:] With the trucks you will get the durability you are looking for as well as the fun factor. jumping over piles of dirt and ramps is incredibily satisfying. My choice would be hands down Offroad trucks. Now choosing an offroad truck is something many have a hard time doing. TO be honest ...you really cant go wrong with any of the popular monster trucks out there. i personally prefer the savage, thats y i have two. lol. i love the fact that i can run into all things and walk away w/o broken parts. Plus the newer savages are becoming faster and stronger. HPI is prob one of the tougher trucks out now and the best part is...you can change the truck to fit you style of driving. Plus the after market support is great and fidning HPI parts in hobby shops is very easy. I have not been to a hobby shop where i havent seen HPI parts. As for the LST ...i havent gotten mine runnign yet...so i cant comment...but from what i hear and what ive seen....seems to be a truck that put together well. also a good option. My revo....well.....ive had some issues with it. but lately it has been running pretty good. That truck is sweet on the track. Runs great. But bashing...is where IMO it lacks....for some reason i bash it and i broke parts on it very often. not saying all revos are bad...so people relax...but my revo sucked at bashing. You can also find revo parts in decent amouiht of hobby shops. after market support on the revo is also great. If you want to race on a track this truck would be good for you, but again...the savage can also be turned into a racer. thats y i choose the savvy to be my fav truck. As for upgrades. I changed too many things...but the things that made huge differences....lets say on track.....1. servos 2. motor. 3. tires 4 shock set up and so on. but those 4 will be the ones that are noticeable. if you bash....def a stronger motor everything else you can upgrade as you break.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:13 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it all really depends on your commitment to the hobby,I run my trucks,buggys,and boats every chance I get, 1 radio.....spectrum.....as far as car,truck,or buggy,each animal has it's own habitat,you don't want to run your carpet racer on dirt????or expect your savage to run circles on the carpet,....decide where your gonna spend your time at,and go from there,for all-around fun I would suggest a truggy,best of both worlds and options are unlimited,someone else will chime in that could better suggest one for you,or just read the forums to see which have satisfied the most people.....good luck
Old 06-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Pimpnitaz

Alright, but from a newbie standpoint - would it make sense for me to buy the RTR version as opposed to the kit version? Again, with the thought process that the RTR version already comes equip with the radio I could take that money I saved there (since I would have to buy a radio with the kit) and spend it on upgraded parts? Assuming you can do that with an RTR version - upgrades that is. Make sense?
Old 06-08-2007, 05:30 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The radio is very basic, buying your own better stuff in the beginning is better since you will definitely be thinking of upgrading the stock radio/ steering servo anyway. Trust me, getting the kit version saves you many hassles and much money in the future, even though the up front cost may look steep. It is very much worth it and I regret I didnt get the SS form when I bought my Savage 25 instead. It was my second nitro and I was intimidated by building one from scratch[&o] Tom.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:36 AM
Fantastic R!

ORIGINAL: bb942

I also have the dual dick brakes and there great.
i know its a typo but
Old 06-09-2007, 02:17 PM
savycharlie

Are the dual disk brakes worth it? And if so how much r they?
Old 06-09-2007, 03:55 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: savycharlie

Are the dual disk brakes worth it? And if so how much r they?
They stop the truck great, but no, I dont think they are worth it. The pads wear down way too quickly. I suggest you get a quality aftermarket braking disc and pads for your Savage.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:57 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I do say that off road is the way to go with RC, especially if you are new to the hobby. You will have way more fun doing off road bashing any day. As you get more into the hobby, you might consider an on-road car, but chances are unless you race (on-road that is), you will not have any fun just running up and down the street.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:58 PM
SpikeX

I reviewed the Dual Disc Brakes on my website.

http://www.pxpracing.com/hpidualdiscbrakeset.htm

Old 06-09-2007, 04:05 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I wish I could get 4 months out of my dual disc brakes. Maybe I have my brake linkages set to tightly; on a fresh set of pads, I can get about a week or two of daily bashing. But I do admit, when I say daily bashing, I mean just that. I take my Savage out every day ad bash for a minimum of 1 hour. I guess I should consider whant everyone else does and only bash during the weekends. Maybe my neighbors would not be so pissed off at me .