Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

WELL I FINALLY GOT IT DONE WHAT DO U ALL THINK?

Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

WELL I FINALLY GOT IT DONE WHAT DO U ALL THINK?

Old 07-04-2007, 10:57 PM
dwc1984

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WELL I FINALLY GOT IT DONE WHAT DO U ALL THINK?

its finally done im gonna start breaking in the motors soon. tell me what u all think of this?

thanks
Derek
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29581.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	716572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10821.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	716573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze84913.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	716574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97557.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	716575  
Old 07-04-2007, 11:20 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: WELL I FINALLY GOT IT DONE WHAT DO U ALL THINK?

I hope that is gonna be a street truck! other wise ur gonna hate ur self later with those alum arms.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:30 PM
ravenlunatic

i think it's a show truck.

it sure looks nice!
Old 07-04-2007, 11:43 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Video.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:47 PM
mdh1979

Yes. Video
Old 07-05-2007, 12:22 AM
-SomeGuy-

Really not crazy about all the aluminum, especially since its purple. BUT im really loving the twing engines. The fact that they are the exact same engine but each its own color is really nice looking IMO. Gives a feel that its nitro and glycerin mixing together for a big BANG!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:34 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: dwc1984

its finally done im gonna start breaking in the motors soon. tell me what u all think of this?

thanks
Derek
Very nice, I like it!

I too am building a road-worthy dual engine Savage. Mine is the New Era Models kit and I spent more than a week turning it into a dual engine mount for my 2 Axial .28 RRs.

Luckily for you, yours is the Hot Bodies Twin-Zilla so you did not have to worry about CB clearance problems.

Now that you posted pics of yours, I have to go take pics of mine so I can post them too!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:50 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Well, just took some pics of my twin green Savage! I hope you guys like mine too! Sorry for the blurry horrible pics, I am in dire need of a much better camera. Maybe Ill go shopping for one soon, that is, if I can get about $300 more dollars. I spent the last $300+ on my twin RRs.

For my New Era chassis, I upgraded everything to X-easy access gear. I slapped on RPM suspension arms.

I had to modify the chassis, New Era Models made this chassis for the 49T and 14T spur/CB combo. I also hate that the New Eral Models chassis is all designed in inches (Imperial measurements). I retapped all the parts for metric. I sure as h3ll do not want to tote around impirial hex sets when all I have is my metric tools. Afterall, HPI is all metric.

I took pics on the left and light side of the truck to show how I had to fabricate braces so I can mount 20T CBs on the Axials. Otherwise, the clearance is horrible and the truck would not even run; the CB teeth would be locked in place by being pressed against the chassis plates.

Name:	Jh17162.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	716603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75369.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	716604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87703.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	716605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk24162.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	716606  
Old 07-05-2007, 01:18 AM
johnwongfat

Brilliant! I'd love to see some video. How do the servos work on a dual engine setup like that? Also, how much would different tunings be a problem for each motor? My concern would be if one motor is putting out more power than the other, could that strip gears or anything like that? I imagine on the Emaxx that sort of thing is handled electronically so the point would be moot. What is the top speed for those beasts?
Old 07-05-2007, 01:24 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Tuning is really not an issue. Both engines that are tune to the right ball park of eachother is al you need.

The throttle linkage actulally pulls to linkages of both carbs at the same time. the tille arm therefore has 2 wires coming out of it, one to each carb.

As for top speed, if I dropped this Savage and get on-road tires for it, I think I can get really close to 60MPH with the 20T/47T spur/CB combo and both engines turning 38000RPM.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:57 AM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Tuning is really not an issue. Both engines that are tune to the right ball park of each other is all you need.

The throttle linkage actulally pulls to linkages of both carbs at the same time. the tille arm therefore has 2 wires coming out of it, one to each carb.

As for top speed, if I dropped this Savage and get on-road tires for it, I think I can get really close to 60MPH with the 20T/47T spur/CB combo and both engines turning 38000RPM.
Well since the clutch bell can free-wheel couldn't you just tune them individually and set them pretty dang close to each other?!

Also, would you guys give more details on the throttle linkage and actual motor mounting. I'd like to know what parts are needed to do a dual-motor upgrade. I've looked and found plenty of trucks with dual-motors, but very little details on the whole thing.

I'd be fine with dual S-25's man. You guys with dual high-HP motors are CRAZY! haha [8D]
Old 07-05-2007, 04:58 PM
osuwins

nice work fellas[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbup.gif], must get video
Old 07-07-2007, 11:35 AM
ashburg

WOW. Thass all I gotta say. That's a very cool ride bro. Agreed, keep it on the street and blow away some revos for me
Old 07-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Jatohulk

Well, just took some pics of my twin green Savage! I hope you guys like mine too! Sorry for the blurry horrible pics, I am in dire need of a much better camera. Maybe Ill go shopping for one soon, that is, if I can get about $300 more dollars. I spent the last $300+ on my twin RRs.

For my New Era chassis, I upgraded everything to X-easy access gear. I slapped on RPM suspension arms.

I had to modify the chassis, New Era Models made this chassis for the 49T and 14T spur/CB combo. I also hate that the New Eral Models chassis is all designed in inches (Imperial measurements). I retapped all the parts for metric. I sure as h3ll do not want to tote around impirial hex sets when all I have is my metric tools. Afterall, HPI is all metric.

I took pics on the left and light side of the truck to show how I had to fabricate braces so I can mount 20T CBs on the Axials. Otherwise, the clearance is horrible and the truck would not even run; the CB teeth would be locked in place by being pressed against the chassis plates.
SAVAGE JIM love the truck man but invest in a better camara bro...
Old 07-07-2007, 11:46 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I know... I would buy one, but I just dropped my last $320 on the two Axial RRs

I'm waiting for the rain to pass right now, I want to begin to break at least one engine in today; I intened to do that ON THE FOURTH OF JULY!!!!![:@][:@][:@][:@]
But the RAIN TOTALLY RUINED IT FOR ME!!!!![:@][:@][:@]

Sorry, the rain really is driving me nuts. I wanted the 4th to be a day of RC fun, but the rain really has put a serious damper on me for the PASSED TWO WEEKS!

I'm going to the store to try to find a decent vid-cam right now, I'm so mad at the weather. I guess I'll go another $350 into debt; Curses on you rain!
Old 07-07-2007, 11:50 AM
ashburg

Jim, I seriously want some video of that badd boy...especially torquing those engines mid air for a flip
Old 07-07-2007, 01:47 PM
azzman

ORIGINAL: Jatohulk

SAVAGE JIM love the truck man but invest in a better camara bro...
Is it the camera or the fact that hes taking the pics in the dark?? [:-][X(]
Old 07-07-2007, 07:00 PM
defiant11

Only in the USA....
Looks cool, love the twin engine thing going on there.
Love to hear that running to.

Carl
Old 07-07-2007, 08:38 PM
SAVAGEJIM

No, the camera is that bad. It is a cheap-o $20 camera.

I finally fired up the starboard engine to break it in, about 2 tanks worth of heat cycling, then it started to storm again!!!! [:@][:@][:@].

Anyways, during the rain, I went to the store and bought me a decent camera, about $250, got a memorry stick for it, another $30, about $300 in all after tax. It has a vid capability, only clips about 2min I think, I'm still learning how to make it work.

I took this pic with it, sorry if it is so large, that is how RCU uploaded it with the "Upload images and files" function.

Name:	Tr51273.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	717983  
Old 07-07-2007, 08:44 PM
rcnitrohead

Wait, how do you start them with the fuel tank in the way[&:] Nice setup though, I would get a better tank setup though, you must have paid a prety penny for that setup[8D] Cant wait to see how it runs, VIDEO
Old 07-07-2007, 08:57 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Yeay, I actually strapped it in with rubberbands and 2 zip ties. This is the pic before I strapped it in.

For a permanent tank set-up, I am going to mount two Savage tanks back there, 1 tank per engine. I am fabricating a wire frame using RC airplane linkage wires and a hobby pipe bender. Once I have that all fabricated, the wire should look nice and tucked out of the way to minimize the jury rigging appearance.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Kokopelli06

Resized the Image for you

Old 07-08-2007, 12:24 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Thanks, how did you do that? Also, when using the "upload and images file" function, I thought that function would only post a thumbnail that you had to click on to expand. Why it uploaded my pics and not post them as a thumbnail, I dont know. But thanks; I was upset that the pic did not fit the screen properly.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:47 PM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks, how did you do that? Also, when using the "upload and images file" function, I thought that function would only post a thumbnail that you had to click on to expand. Why it uploaded my pics and not post them as a thumbnail, I dont know. But thanks; I was upset that the pic did not fit the screen properly.
He used PhotoBucket man.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:51 PM
-SomeGuy-

Hey jim, just to let you know, the pic you posted is a thumbnail. I've seen these huge thumbnails before but i dont know why it happens, you can still click on it to see the proper size. Cant wait for you to post some vids.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.