Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

RW SPUR GEAR'S

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:34 AM
lauderboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RW SPUR GEAR'S

This is a word of warning to anyone who is thinking of buying a RW spur gear DONT! i got one on friday and when i went out on saturday the brass bushing in the centre lasted for half a tank.
my models stores reply was to put washers in the front and rear of the spur and tighten the spring all the way so i do it and still it just spins like a huge oneway bearing
my model shop dont want it back so i will have to deal with RW direct
IN MY OPINION RW STUFF IS RUBBISH DONT WASTE YOU MONEY FROM NOW ON I WILL STICK TO RRP

Old 09-09-2007, 03:14 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: RW SPUR GEAR'S

That is a terrible design. They should have never put a brass bushing in the center! Robinson Racing does not even dare to waste the effort and materials to do something stupid like that.

Whoever this "RW" is wasted materials and machining motions and therefore money for a brass bushing in a totally useless place of a spur. This is nothing short of stupidity and absolutely poor engineering, that is, if this guy even knows anything about engineeing, metallurgy, production, and manufacturing.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:16 PM
megamaxx

^+1
Old 09-09-2007, 10:11 PM
SAVAGEJIM

None the less, I am not bashing the company or the product just to do so for no reason. I have never heard of this company nor have I had the pleasure (err, displeasure) of owning this spur, but from the design of the spur I KNOW that this product is not worthwhile and I will never buy it. If such a poor design is in something as simple as a spur, I hate to see what some of their other more complex products wold be like. Imangine an RC nitro engine with as little as a dozen engineering faux pas' in them. Such a poorly designed product can be out-right dangerous to the end user. At the very least, the poor dude that bought it would be very mad for a product that broke on him.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:18 PM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

found rw racing in the uk.
here's a pic of the spur they offer for the savage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52928.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	760079  
Old 09-10-2007, 12:55 PM
lauderboy

thats the one [>:] and the model company i bought it off wont refund me and have had no probs with the spur b4 but say they will maybe send me a new one but i have had problems with them before
" modelsport.co.uk " good range poor service and still no reply from the manufacturer
but on a better note i just ordred a nice good quality 18/52 robinson racing spur and bell combo, i have lernt to stick to what i know and trust i just hope it comes for friday
cos' i got a four day weekend
Old 09-13-2007, 01:22 PM
lauderboy

Guess what has happened the main man from rw has blocked my emails after he could not answer my questions
so if any of you want to send him some nice messages feel free [email protected]
have fun i'm sure he will luv it
Old 09-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Neil E

All spur gears offered for the Savage (all brands even Robinson) us bushings. They have been using Bronze and now offer a Metal (they do not spec what metal). [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGV4&P=ML]Here[/link]
is a link to one style by Robinson. Note the items required in the NOTES FROM OUR TECH DEPARTMENT
Old 09-14-2007, 11:27 AM
lauderboy

what you say is true but if you buy a spur with a brass bushing in it would you not expect it to last more than half a tank but hey you go buy one and enjoy you half tank runs [:@]
Old 09-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Vigilante212

ORIGINAL: Neil E

All spur gears offered for the Savage (all brands even Robinson) us bushings. They have been using Bronze and now offer a Metal (they do not spec what metal). [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGV4&P=ML]Here[/link]
is a link to one style by Robinson. Note the items required in the NOTES FROM OUR TECH DEPARTMENT
Thats diffrent. The bushing used in the robinson racing spur is only for the spring assembly to sit on once you tighten that down it engages the spur. From looking at the RW one the bushing is a through bushing meaning it goes all the way through the center bore. The problem with this is as soon as you put pressure on the bushing it will hold fine for awhile, but a little too much torque will strip the press fit bushing and allow the outter spur to spin freely while the bushing remains stationary.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:56 AM
lauderboy

thats what happened but still no refund just abuse from rw