Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Mid tank Mod finished + engine head air leak?Pics/videos!

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Mid tank Mod finished + engine head air leak?Pics/videos!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 05:47 AM
naynay12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid tank Mod finished + engine head air leak?Pics/videos!

Hi, here are some pics of th finally complete mid tank mod(i posted some of the inside in other posts).The last run i had before i started the mid tank mod,it keeped stalling,and just outside the glowplug their was oil and bubbles,so i have a leak.Someone a while back told me they had the same problem since they took the glowplug out while the engine was hot,i have done this several times in break in.

1. I was thinking of making a washer that has no play,and covers the whole glowplug space that the oil and air escapes from,would this be ok what problems would i have?

2. Also if i buy a new heat sink,what will i need , would i need just the heatsink ,or do i need another part such as glowplug bedding?

Here is a video of the bubbles if you dont know what i mean. To do this i put some after run oil on the glowplug,and pulled the pullstart.

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=IMGP0665.flv

Pics:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture096.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture097.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture098.jpg
Old 09-16-2007, 06:06 AM
lauderboy

Default RE: Mid tank Mod finished + engine head air leak?Pics/videos!

you might want to try a new underhead. its just a thought
Old 09-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Vigilante212

Yea if you have the glowplug washer on and its still leaking you probably cross threaded the hole or stripped the threads. Youll need a new head button, or if its connected to the heatsink like mine a new heatsink.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:58 AM
carldav

I also happen to have an issue on leaks. I recall after I cleaned the engine head I did not thoroughly tighten one of the screws. While the engine is running, I can see some oil bursting below the engine head and staining the manifold. It stained the manifold with a redish-like color.

After I tighten the screws using the 4-way direction instructed in the Manual, I no longer have leaks.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:56 AM
naynay12

Ok,carldav the liquid and bubbles are leaking from the glowplug washer area.i have the k4.6 ewngine,will i be needig the engine head or button,or does the engine head come with the button?Thanks.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:27 AM
carldav

That I'm not sure...what do you think Vigilante?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:23 PM
doesgo

ORIGINAL: naynay12

Ok,carldav the liquid and bubbles are leaking from the glowplug washer area.i have the k4.6 ewngine,will i be needig the engine head or button,or does the engine head come with the button?Thanks.
Have you tried a new glow plug washer? It could be as simple as that.

I don't recall if the K4.6 has a separate head button, but probably. Most do.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Vigilante212

Quickest way to find out is take the heat sink off make sure its all clean first so you dont chance getting any dirt in the engine.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:53 AM
naynay12

Ok its not the washer or glowplug already tried that.In the k4.6 maula in the rebuild bit ti shows the glow plug bed,and head together,but i just took the heat sink off,put the glowplug in the otherway and tried to pull of the glowplug.I did not want to pull tohard incase it broke.Do you think i should pull hard or use a tap?On ebay i only find k4.6 head,do you think they will come with the button?
Old 09-20-2007, 04:57 PM
naynay12

Ok everyone,i have bought a nova rc cooling head,since it was $5 cheaper then the normal k4.6 head!.
I know that the engine will run cooler ,has anyone had this head,anything to be aware of?Such as not to lean out the engine to much?What type of temperatures can i expect?(ive only tuned a number of times).
Old 09-20-2007, 05:58 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run it and find out......get yourself a temp gun and watch what the engine does-adjust your tune from there.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:50 PM
doesgo

Don't tune by temperature, tune by how it runs while making sure you get good smoke out the exhaust.....THEN check temp to make sure it's not too high or too low.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:32 PM
naynay12

Ok,but has anyone had or have a nova cooling head on their k4.6 savvy,what were the temps arouns(just because i want to know how good these heads are)?What did you discover the pros and cons were? Thanks.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:40 PM
RLMHPI

The Nova cooling heads along with the rest of their products are awesome 7075 aluminum cant be beat I currently have their engine mount and cooling head on my Axial 28RR. I actually sent them my Axial head and they measured it and sent me a cooling head and my original free of charge for using my head as the mold. Their heads definatly work I also ran one on my F4.1 the only con is you can run your engine overly lean due to their amazing cooling ability depending on the weather you run in. I tuned my engine with the stock Axial head on and then switched to the Nova and tweaked the needles just a touch. I also check the engine temperature on the side of the block below the head just for another referance, never tune to temps but its a great indidcation of your running condition just make sure there is always smoke coming out of the exhaust when your on the throttle. But as I said Nova all the way their clutch shoes are good too their machining is off the hook.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:39 AM
naynay12

Ok cool,im pleased i made the dicision.Roughly howmuch heat did the nova head keep off,comparedf to the normal cooling head?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:35 AM
RLMHPI

In my case I was running about 275. With the nova head measuring at the glow plug I am about 220 and the side of the block 250max and it takes awhile to get the temps up. I usually fire it up at half tank and I only run the head when its extremly hot outside or when the terrain is really resistive if you know what I mean!!