Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Clutch shoes

Old 09-22-2007, 12:14 AM
aleco greko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch shoes

hey guys,

how do i know when i need to change clutch shoes?? is it when they scratch or dint, could you give me some details??

if i was to get new clutch shoes which ones are durable and reliable??

Also if i was to upgrade to after market shoes and springs what differences in performance would i see??

thanks for the help

AlEx
Old 09-22-2007, 01:05 AM
smalltownsavage

Default RE: Clutch shoes

Besides visable wear on the clutch, when it starts to wear down you'll probly notice less performance and torque. It'll seem like you have to give the engine more gas to move the truck. Sometimes the clutch bell will get grimy or oily causing less grip. What I do in that case is clean the bell and shoes with carb and choke cleaner, or a degreaser. It makes a difference.[sm=regular_smile.gif]
Old 09-22-2007, 05:14 AM
carldav

If the groove of the shoes where the spring hooks up is already thin and it binds the walls of the clutch bell then it is time to replace the shoes.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:01 PM
RLMHPI

I run mugen aluminum shoes and 1mm springs I periodically cut the excess metal shavings off the clutch shoes and i lightly scuff the inside of the clutch bell which helps out a lot with engagement. Clutch shopping can be difficult depending on your application in the Savage world most people either run stock plastic or aluminum shoes. The clutch spring thickness also makes a big difference they range from around .9mm-1mm-1.1mm ect the thinner the spring .9mm the earlier the clutch will engage the thicker the spring the later the clutch will engage like revving a car up and releasing the clutch. I prefer aluminum shoes either Nova shoes or Mugen shoes!!