Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Axial 28 Spec 1S vs. Axial 28RR

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:05 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Axial 28 Spec 1S vs. Axial 28RR

I was just out breaking in my new LRP Spec 3 in my Muggy.. Yesterday I spent hours swapping engines(most of that time was spend cussing at clutches...), including the Axial 28 Spec 1S out of the Savage, and the Axial 28RR in..

Anyway, took the Sav with me today to see how the RR would run.. And this is my opinion:

Performance-wise, there is NO difference. Same pipe, same plug, same fuel.

I LOVE and always have loved my Spec 1S - GREAT basher engine. Starts right up, breaks in easy, tunes easier, good quality pullstart, etc etc... Just a great basic .28 engine..

The 28RR is also a good basher engine, and has all the same characteristics as the Spec 1S - EXCEPT the easy break-in... But, it idles nicely, tunes well, same pullstart, etc..

Both are very good, easy-to-use engines, and well worth having, especially for people getting their first 28 who maybe aren't all that experienced tuning yet, etc...

The 28RR however, based on what I have seen, has NO noticeable power advantage.

And that's my take....

Will try to get some vid to show the RR running...

ps On a side note, I took the Mugen alu clutch shoes off the Spec 1S and just slapped them on the RR. Going great.. A defo A1+++ RC product - Mugel alu clutch shoes and 1.0 springs...
Old 09-22-2007, 10:25 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Axial 28 Spec 1S vs. Axial 28RR

that is good to know Patrick I'm going to get a new engine for the savage soon. I have the LRP spec 3 .28 in an mgt and that is one bad ass engine and I'm not full tune yet. does the axial come close to the LRP in speed and power? My LRP has a lot more then my mach 427.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:35 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RR has less torque than the 1S if I remember correctly.................and you will notice that with a heavy Savage. This is why you don't see any performance increase.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:16 AM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

that is good to know Patrick I'm going to get a new engine for the savage soon. I have the LRP spec 3 .28 in an mgt and that is one bad ass engine and I'm not full tune yet. does the axial come close to the LRP in speed and power? My LRP has a lot more then my mach 427.

I can tell you this much - I just put tank 6 through the LRP in the Mug, and still running rich and not really laying into it like I want, it SMOKES the Axial RR..

From cheap to more expensive, I would buy in this order:

1.) Axial Spec 1s
2.) Mach 427
3.) LRP Spec 3
4.) Picco 28(don't have that yet, but just ordered it..)

From the first three, from what I've seen, for power I would buy..:

The Mach or the LRP, then the Axial.. The LRP has more power than the Mach, but the Mach is just an awesome engine.. My LST2 weights a ton, and the Mach throws it around easily.. It HAULS on top end too...

A stock 8T with 16T CB and the stock engine, pipe, etc.. hit 48mph...

The Mach is no joke...

Only having 6 tanks through the LRP though, I can't really say yet how powerful it is.. So far so good though..
Old 09-22-2007, 11:33 AM
rcnitrohead

Patrick, the LRP is awesome, but just for kicks. Take a ten foot pole (<<your quote) and come closer to an STS, and youll see true power Just saying, you need to try it![8D]
Old 09-22-2007, 12:23 PM
HerrSavage

I admit, I've seen some impressive vids - especially of 28's in Savages.. But I had enough hassle last night just getting the clutch to fit.. And living in Germany, I don't want an engine which I may well have to send back - across the Atlantic - because of some low-quality-related defect...

I like power and speed fa'sho... But not extra stress and hassles.. If I lived in the US maybe..

But seriously, how many people have bought an STS, broke it in, and got two gallons through it all with no hassles??? Not trying to (or interested in..) get into YET another STS vs. Axial discussion.. Was asking that in an open good-natured way....

But the Axials I know, and the STS's I've heard about. And what I've heard hasn't been very good.

In any event, I only posted this cuz these two engines come up a lot in Savage forums.. I LIKE the RR - I just don't think - FOR A SAVAGE - it makes any sense to spend more for it over and above the Spec 1S.. I would even buy another Spec 1S - or Mach 427(quite possible actually..), but not the RR.. I just don't really see the point in that engine. It's most definitely NOT a rival to the LRP or Picco, but costs almost as much. I hope Axial comes out with a .32 RR or something, or recognizes that the RR is kind of a dud, and comes out with a Spec 2 RR or something...
Old 09-22-2007, 12:47 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I've already burnt at least 2 gallons though each of my Rs, and they have held up so far. I really didnt experiance too many problems with them; only a couple of hydro locks I had to clear during break-in.

As compared to my K4.6's, the RRs out perform them easily, but the timing profile of the RRs are unfortunately not as agressive as the STS engines. Therefore, the racing tricks thrown into them are not realized. When I rebuild my RRs, I will mak certain to buy all brand new innards and ceramic bearings, and mod the h3ll out of everything. I will definietly give the crank a serious 20-25degree advance. The induction profile is exacltly the same as teh K4.6 induction timing profile, which I understand is alo exaactly the same profile in the Spec1S engines.

As for STS engines, yes they are a serious pain because of the terrible tolerance mahining practices of the Chinese. The engines themselves are great, but the Chinese machining practices put into the carbs are horrible. So, you could get a great running STS engine, or your could wind up with a lemon that runs away and burns itself up. That is how critical the carb maching is.

From my personal experience, my D28M had a poorly machined carb and leaked massive amounts of air through the LSN. I had to get a proper carb for it to see its true bashing potential. My D30M on the other hand came with a perfect carb. My D30M runs great and I experienced no problms whatsoever even during the very fist time I started it for break-in.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:19 PM
supertib

the power difference from a modded STS 30 to a LRP Spec 3 is like vcomparing an Axial 28 to a Stock HPI Savage .25.......... i am not talling people to buy a STS, simply stating if you think the LRP is strong just wait till one day you see a fully prepped and tuned STS 30...hell even a stock 30 properly tuned kills a spec 3..
Old 09-22-2007, 07:04 PM
[email protected]

I was on you tube and I don't think the sts is all that, http://youtube.com/watch?v=MY58E9lbjwA http://youtube.com/watch?v=4GGKx7dJpD8 the first is a savage with the LRP and the scond is the sts 30
Old 09-22-2007, 07:25 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

In any event, I only posted this cuz these two engines come up a lot in Savage forums.. I LIKE the RR - I just don't think - FOR A SAVAGE - it makes any sense to spend more for it over and above the Spec 1S.. I would even buy another Spec 1S - or Mach 427(quite possible actually..), but not the RR.. I just don't really see the point in that engine. It's most definitely NOT a rival to the LRP or Picco, but costs almost as much. I hope Axial comes out with a .32 RR or something, or recognizes that the RR is kind of a dud, and comes out with a Spec 2 RR or something...
The RR was never intended to be a monster truck engine. It was made for buggies and truggies.....which are significantly lighter and much more aerodynamic than your typical Savage. The statement, "the right tool for the job" comes to mind right about now............................................... .......[8D]
Old 09-22-2007, 07:33 PM
rcnitrohead

Comerford, you can think all you want, but you wont know until you own one... My Savage is pretty light, and my STS .30 pushes it around like a 1/10 toy... It insanely fast, I havent tried winding it up on the street cause I know I will hit something going close to 50mph, and I dont want my neighbors holding a grudge. I seriously need to make a vid of my car, so you guys can see the .30's potential. Its not even shimmed yet and running on 20% and its blowing me away! I can wait till I remove the shims, and buy a dremel to mod it already, its gonna SCREAM[>:] Digger was right, the RR isnt practical for a Savage, that tiny bit of extra RPM wont be noticed at all[]
Old 09-22-2007, 07:59 PM
[email protected]

I was just looking at vids and that 30 was a moded engine. It could be a great engine and your right I don't own one. If you watch the guy driving it seems a lot less controlable then the LRP so all that power and no control is pointless. You'r right about going 50 mph in a savage is a death wish for your truck cuz it won't stop. The savage has the worst brakes.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Vigilante212

Patrick I dont know about you, but my savage seems to scoot alot better with my axial RR then it did with the LRP. How many tanks do you have through it what plug are you running fuel % etc play a big roll. I can triple a jump thats set about 20 feet apart with ease with the RR I dont remember when I could last do that with the LRP
Old 09-22-2007, 09:29 PM
rcnitrohead

Comerford, IMO the Savage DD's are the BEST. But I have converted to 2wd to drop rotating mass/weight. The brakes lock up at the tiniest push of the trigger and when they lock, you are skidding like crazy. I would say it takes about 30-40 feet to stop from WOT with 2wd, thats why you have no room for mistakes[&:]
Old 09-22-2007, 11:25 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

Patrick I dont know about you, but my savage seems to scoot alot better with my axial RR then it did with the LRP. How many tanks do you have through it what plug are you running fuel % etc play a big roll. I can triple a jump thats set about 20 feet apart with ease with the RR I dont remember when I could last do that with the LRP
Wow. You say the RR is BETTER than the LRP? This is getting weird now.[&:]
Old 09-23-2007, 01:13 AM
HerrSavage

Yeah, something is not right if you think the LRP is weaker than the RR.. As I said before, on tank 6 the LRP is VASTLY more powerful than the RR after 2 gallons(including a very boring and careful one gallon break-in..) - that's all with the same pipe(JP-2), plug(OS A5), and fuel(Sidewinder %25).. I've never run the LRP in my Savage, but if anything I don't think I would, as the LRP is probably just TOO powerful for a Savage...

Savages IMHO are not good platforms for expensive engines.. Wasted power, and shredded drivetrains...

I already know for sure what engine is going in my Savage next - Mach 427... Most Savages don't need more than that anyway, and the Mach - like the Axials - is just so user friendly.. They wind up higher though, and I'd bet quite a bit that a Sav with Mach 427 would smoke a Sav with ANY Axial...

Nothing against the Spec 1S though. I still think it's a GREAT Savage engine, and is very much worth having. I just felt that I'd reached a definitive conclusion, that the RR, for Savage owners, is NOT worth having. It's not bad, but you're no better off than with the cheaper Spec 1S.

I also personally don't believe the difference would be that great in a lighter truggy either.. OK, I've been running a slightly heavier bashing Muggy with MT wheels and so on, but still.. Take any truggy you want, and I don't think the RR would "smoke" the Spec 1S even in that application...

I recently saw some MT and truggy races, and there were a few truggies with Spec 1S Axials, and they were getting around pretty d.amn well...

Torque is a good thing..
Old 09-23-2007, 11:33 AM
black mamba

Well put. Torque is king when you are dealing with 15lbs of dead weight!
Old 09-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Vigilante212

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

Wow. You say the RR is BETTER than the LRP? This is getting weird now.[&:]

Im saying I think it is. I cant really verify this because I dont have a working LRP anymore. They are both really good engines for the price, the LRP being eisier to tune and break in though.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:10 PM
HerrSavage

Dudes!!

Met some people through a forum who have a track about 90 minutes from here.. Took all three trucks today.. First real time ever on a track.. Took the Savage first cuz I didn't really care if it broke.. Savage was going great with full offset rims on Max Mulcher tires.. WHAT amazing tires..

Then the tranny blew up (I think..) Stupid GD 3-speed.. I NEVER liked that thing...

Anyway..., so suddenly, with only six tanks and maybe 10-12 heat cylces through the LRP, it was time to throw the Mug on the track...

THE LRP FREAKIN' RIPS!!! I LOVE IT... Front tires all pizza'ed out - XL-style!!! Was a blast.. Was just a fun race with buggies, etc.., but I was leading for several laps(and driving OVER those buggies - literally, on several occasions..) til my bloody stupid servo arm stripped out(again.. Fixed it though and was back at it.. Mug took some big hits too... - unseen bumps leading to huge high-speed cartwheels, etc..) The Muggy was awesome for this track - lots of long straights.. Several guys there said they were quite impressed.. Of course I left the stupid memory stick for our camera in the computer - so no pics or vid!...

Whatever - that engine is fantastic.. The Axial RR is a mouse-fart compared to the LRP's huge pile of steaming elephant dung.... The Muggy - running rich to try to avoid high temps - hit 250 or so - and this on tank 8... - was a freakin ballistic missile compared to everything else out there... Huge fun.. If the LRP delivers just two gallons of this and then blows up I think I'll be happy...

What a blast.. Love it..
Old 09-23-2007, 01:15 PM
rcnitrohead

Damn mouse farts
Old 09-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Rambler45

PatrickBW

Would you still think that LRP is not correct engine for the Savage ?
Old 09-23-2007, 06:31 PM
supertib

Dudes!!

Met some people through a forum who have a track about 90 minutes from here.. Took all three trucks today.. First real time ever on a track.. Took the Savage first cuz I didn't really care if it broke.. Savage was going great with full offset rims on Max Mulcher tires.. WHAT amazing tires..

Then the tranny blew up (I think..) Stupid GD 3-speed.. I NEVER liked that thing...

Anyway..., so suddenly, with only six tanks and maybe 10-12 heat cylces through the LRP, it was time to throw the Mug on the track...

THE LRP FREAKIN' RIPS!!! I LOVE IT... Front tires all pizza'ed out - XL-style!!! Was a blast.. Was just a fun race with buggies, etc.., but I was leading for several laps(and driving OVER those buggies - literally, on several occasions..) til my bloody stupid servo arm stripped out(again.. Fixed it though and was back at it.. Mug took some big hits too... - unseen bumps leading to huge high-speed cartwheels, etc..) The Muggy was awesome for this track - lots of long straights.. Several guys there said they were quite impressed.. Of course I left the stupid memory stick for our camera in the computer - so no pics or vid!...

Whatever - that engine is fantastic.. The Axial RR is a mouse-fart compared to the LRP's huge pile of steaming elephant dung.... The Muggy - running rich to try to avoid high temps - hit 250 or so - and this on tank 8... - was a freakin ballistic missile compared to everything else out there... Huge fun.. If the LRP delivers just two gallons of this and then blows up I think I'll be happy...

What a blast.. Love it..

Now are you seeing why I was not a fan of Axials ? now do you see why iu recomend people buy more performance oriented motors ??? I bet you had no idea how much more power was avaialble for the same type of money....
Old 09-23-2007, 06:45 PM
SAVAGEJIM

*Falling out of chair laughing very hard...cant hardly breathe*

Wow! Now I want to ty to get a pair of LRPs for my dual engine Savage just to see what happens!

Yes, fo your Muggy, the LRP is a perfect match. The high revs of the LRP on the Muggy's drive train make it really go, and this is just from me mentally thinking it out.

By all measn, the next time you go to the track, dont forget your camera! I want to see it in motion on the track!
Old 09-23-2007, 07:02 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: supertib

Dudes!!

What a blast.. Love it..

Now are you seeing why I was not a fan of Axials ? now do you see why iu recomend people buy more performance oriented motors ??? I bet you had no idea how much more power was avaialble for the same type of money....
[8D]
I'll have fun pulling wheelies all day long with my "mouse fart" Axial. I have the poor boy 1S version too.....I guess that would make mine a "white trash hillbilly mouse fart" then wouldn't it?[&:]
Old 09-24-2007, 12:02 AM
HerrSavage

I still love my Spec 1S in the Savage.. The whole mouse fart thing... is just the comparison between the Axial RR and the LRP in a Muggy/truggy set-up...

The RR goes fairly well in the Savage too - just not better than the Spec 1S...

See for yourself - the RR is OK, but nothing spectacular.. From Saturday - first few tanks with the RR.. Performance basically identical to Spec 1S....

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...avyAxialRR.flv

My main point all along is that - for MT's and even truggies IMO - the RR makes no sense to buy...

The Spec 1S though IMHO is a great engine... - for a Savage... That engine has been so good to me, that I just feel loyal to it, like I do to my old Savage 25(RIP..), which, BTW, is why I'll always have a Savage, regardless of how much faster the truggies are...

(also saw a race recently where several race truggies had Spec 1S Axial 28's, and they were doing OK...)

ps And Savagejim, I know, I can't friggin believe I left the stupid memory stick in the computer(cuz I was putting the boring vid of LRP break-in tanks from Sat in...) How 'bout a vid of your Double-RR Sav??

If you try a Double-LRP version, you better get NASA to design you a drivetrain to deal with it.. ONE LRP would probably RAPE a stock Savage inside out..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.