Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Brakes!! What brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 04:36 PM
youie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes!! What brakes?

Hi fellow RCU members, I'm sick of these Dual disk and stick brake pad arrangements. So alright maybe I'm at fault for heavy braking and creating heat build up on the pads which loosens the sticky back adhesive and causes the pads to slide off the metal shoe.

Now, does anybody know if the new Fibreglass dual disk setup is a stepup from the original fibre disk or is it a stepup from the stainless steel dual disk arrangement.

Does anybody have any comments on the performance of the new Fibreglass setup, positive or negative. I would like to know in particular whether the stopping power is on par or differs (+/-).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64774.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	847511  
Old 01-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Vigilante212

Default RE: Brakes!! What brakes?

The stopping power is about the same, they will last alot longer then the pads for the SS dual disks though. If you get them you need to run CA clue around the outside edge to keep the pads from fraying.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:16 PM
hmott3

I have the dual fiber setup and it will pull the truck over and onto the hood if you aren't careful with the settings. I"ve never tried the SS but I'm plenty happy with the fiber.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:29 PM
youie

Thats great news guys Thanks to both of you. Oh! Vigilante212 cheers for the TIP about the CA glue over the edge of the pads.
I feared either that they wont last as long as the SS setup or they wont stop it as effectively. Thats all been cleared up and I'll buy the fibreglass setup tomorrow during my lunch BRAKE(break) from work.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:14 AM
Stablock

I've posted this several times. It's a great way to improve the fiber disc brakes on a Savage by 110% that will cost you pennies !!!!!!!!!

I’m sure most will agree that the fiber brakes on a Savage are O.K. at best and fade a great deal. Keeping the disc clean with alcohol helps but they still suck. I’ve done a lot of research on brake topics in tons of forums and talked to a lot of people. They all say that you should do some, most, or all of the following:

1) Get a Hump-pac. (Well, I got it and I didn’t see a little brake improvement.)
2) Get the Dual Brake set up with a Hump-pac. (Most people I talked to say work well at first but they fade and wear out quickly.)
3) Get the Dual Brake set up AND hi-torque servo. (Again, $$$$. But you still will get brake fade and they wear out quickly.)

Ok….the Hump-pac upgrade I agree with. That is good for both throttle/ brakes and steering and seems to be the first thing people buy for their truck. But I’m not convinced that the other two upgrades are worth the money. ESPECIALLY after doing the following:

Take the fiber disc brake off your truck and fill the little vent holes with silicone. That’s right… a good quality, indoor/outdoor, 100% silicone rubber. You probably have some already. You have to pack the holes with it. I stuck the disc to a piece of duct tape and filled the holes with a small putty knife. After it dried, I took the tape off and did the other side. After that side dried I took a razor blade and shaved both faces clean so the only silicone was in the holes.

I didn’t think it would last. I thought it would get all gummed up or fall out. But it worked (works) great. I was very hard on the brakes during testing and I’ve put over 20 tanks of fuel threw the truck and the brakes work the same as the first tank. Yes, it can flip over if you are hard on the breaks, but usually only on the grass or on a dust free road with clean tires. For the most part, it just skids. Don’t get me wrong; the brakes are not ON/OFF like a light switch. You still have complete brake control. Its like having power brakes instead of the old manual ones!

Try it. You will NOT be disappointed!!
Old 01-13-2008, 04:00 PM
youie

I understand from what you have written that you have done alot of research in the field of brakes. I'm not quite sure how people think a hump pack will help because a standard four(4) battery holder accommodates 4xAA batteries which are 1.5 Volts which equates to 6Volts and a Hump pack is also 6Volts.

The main reason for a hump pack apart from being easy to recharge, is that the pack cannot separate on impact otherwise a collapsed battery pack will leave you chasing a runaway car. As far as the information concerning the use of silicone in the vent holes, can I ask you whether you are referring to the FIBRE disk brake that accompanies early stock savages or are you referring the FIBREGLASS twin disc brake as pictured:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95267.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	850238  
Old 01-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Stablock

Early Savage models. But I don't see why it wouldn't work on the dual disc.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:08 PM
youie

I can understand your reason for applying silicone to the old type fibre disc because is performance can only be described as SH*T and thats putting it politely, but from my own knowledge of the dual ss disc and based on information supplied by both 'hmott3 and vigilante212, the Fibreglass dual disc puts the savage on its roof. Therefore, since the Fibreglass discs fulfill there purpose, I dont think they warrant the need for silicone.

Thanks for your input Stablock and I'm sure the silicone method, as you said works effectively. I have already bought the Fibreglass brakes setup, but have yet to fit it. Lets see how it performs. You never know, if it doesn't achieve the purpose it was intended for, then I might even comtemplate trying your method. Cheers!
Old 01-14-2008, 03:01 AM
savaged_dude

If you have'nt already you need to do the Ofna linkage mod. I run stock single stock disc on my savage x. I can do forward flips with it. I have the stock steering servo on my throttle and Blitz 1600 hump pack.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:09 AM
hmott3

Savaged Dude brings up a good point. I could NOT get mine to do "endo's" before the ofna throttle mod was done to it. They where still decent breaks but not the same as they are now. I do however run the stock servo, its not upgraded.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:36 AM
youie

Wow! does the Ofna linkage mod really make sucha difference? I have seen numerous posts in relation to the Ofna linkage but since you recommend it, I might aswell opt for it too.

I'll use it in conjunction with the Fibreglass brake setup and see how things GO (or should that be STOP) .

Thanks for your input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:12 PM
f150dan
My Feedback: (18)

I'm still using the original Savage style brake with the addition of the MGT robo disc and I have got all the brakes I need. It will definately endo and flip over if I grab them too hard. I am also using a JR 590 servo on them along with fuel tubing instead of the spring on the brake linkage.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:19 PM
hmott3

Honestly NO the ofna linkage doesn't make a real difference to the brakes. It makes a HUGE difference in MY ability to get the brakes set so that they would the way I want them to. I'm sure with the right length of fuel tubeing and spring and sorting it all out you could get just as a good of results stock. The problem is I couldn't do it. It took me a while with the ofna mod also, but I got it. I just couldn't do it with the standard linkage, but I'm pretty new to RC. I have no doubt though that someone with enough patients and/or knowledge could get the brakes perfect without the ofna mod. I'm very happy I spent the money on it in the end, and thats what matters.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:25 PM
f150dan
My Feedback: (18)

I actually bought all the stuff to do the ofna linkage mod, but I just never felt the need to install it after I got mine working. You couldn't snap a pic of your Ofna linkage setup could you?
Old 01-14-2008, 01:36 PM
whipnet

ORIGINAL: f150dan
You couldn't snap a pic of your Ofna linkage setup could you?
Wasn't sure who you were talking to, but here's mine.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:43 PM
youie

Yes there are a few more pictures on this recent post:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6838982/tm.htm
Old 01-15-2008, 01:15 AM
quadgod5000

I loved the silicone trick but I took it one step farther and cut small groves in the disk and filled them with silicone as well. It worked great and still works great, thanks for the great tip....
Old 01-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Vigilante212

I used to run dual stainless brakes with the stock throttle mod I did a few endo's, but thats bad for the diffs and tranny so I loosened my brakes, no point for me to do endo's in racing .
Old 01-16-2008, 12:10 AM
savaged_dude

ORIGINAL: whipnet

ORIGINAL: f150dan
You couldn't snap a pic of your Ofna linkage setup could you?
Wasn't sure who you were talking to, but here's mine.

Sharp/clean looking ride man. That is a very clean mod. And I thought mine was clean.