Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage x 4.6 rtr

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Krazy Chicken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage x 4.6 rtr

what are some pros and cons of the savage x 4.6 rtr

thank you
Old 01-14-2008, 01:01 PM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: savage x 4.6 rtr

ORIGINAL: Stampede Killer

what are some pros and cons of the savage x 4.6 rtr

thank you

The only down-side I can say about the Savage trucks in general is that they are not designed/intended to be racers. Now with some upgrades they sure can be made into a racer, but that's not what it was meant for.

There are, honestly, too many positives to mention. It really is an all-around great truck that just takes some extreme abuse and keeps on going.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:16 PM
f150dan
My Feedback: (18)

The only thing I would change straight out of the box is put a nice pipe on it (don't even thing about the HPI ribbed pipe, I said a nice one). And then replace the spring on the brake linkage with fuel tubing. Then if you want to, you can install washers at all the rod ends to prevent them from popping off and install a stronger steering servo and move the stock steering servo to the brakes.

It really is an awesome truck man.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:37 PM
hmott3

Here is my list, after putting 1.5 gallons through it anyway.

CON:
Its an rc car so stuff is going to break and you are going to have to work on it.
Not as fast as some of the others (Revo 3.3, LST2, Etc)
Not as good a racer as Revo3.3 or LST2
heavier than most
Not great radio/servo's out of the box (but most don't)
Costs a fortune to turn it into a real racer
Known for tossing dog bones and stripping spur gears (dogbones can be dealt with, spurs are a good cheap weak link).

PROS:
Its an rc car and you get to work on it
Big block engine torque
cheaper than many of the others initially
cheaper replacment parts then many of the others
Replacement and upgrade parts are easy to get so it can become whatever you want as you go
3 speed available
Stronger than most, the savage reputation is built on the fact its the strongest out there.
Good community of help available when/as needed
Only a few upgrades needed to make it a bullet proof basher, as much as any RC MT can be anyway.
Most of the stuff that needs upgraded its stuff most people upgrade as they "grow" into the hobby anyway. They also don't need done immediately.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:43 PM
nofords

Spur Gear is the most annoying thing in the world. My truck eats them, altho i'm pretty hard on it. I now use metal gears.
Another thing is that the diffs are twin spider and it's a good idea to change to a four spider setup when you run larger tires or adding power hop-ups.

Other than that, my friend and I bash on a regular basis and we inadvertently play demo derbies and they keep on ticking...
Old 01-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Krazy Chicken

ok, so what do you recomend for the dog bones, and spur?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:18 PM
hmott3

Dog bones, get FLM dog bones, much thicker then stock or HD HPI dog bones. You can find them on smfstore.com, and others I'm sure. For the spur gear, it just takes getting it setup correctly. You can go with metal but I'm afraid of making the trans gears the week point so replacing a $4 every couple of gallons is ok with me.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:33 AM
savaged_dude

For the Spur gear you just need to get your mesh correct. I have used the same SPur gear for over 12 gallons or more. Snapped 2 dogbones in that period of time. That was under axial .28, sts .30RB modded, and LRP .28. It has alot to due with knowing and controling your R/C. Some to do wit hthe set up.