Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Can it be too cold to start the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:47 PM
kelly_and_brian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can it be too cold to start the engine?

I am new to all of this, just finished tank 3 of the break in and loaded up tank 4. I had to take a quick break between tank 3 and tank 4 and when I got back I couldn't get the engine started. The meter on the glow igniter was green and I verified that I had primed the engine but not flooded it. (I have a lot of experience flooding the engine and can recognize it now). Right before the engine stopped because it ran out of fuel. The only thing I can think of is that it was cold outside (around 40 degrees), and when I checked the temp on the engine it had cooled down.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:01 PM
DaveG55

Default RE: Can it be too cold to start the engine?

Engines can be real picky when being broken in. If it stays hard to start you can heat it with a hair dryer - a good idea in any case. Or maybe tweak the hsn & lsn a tiny bit (1/8 turn on hsn, 1/16 turn on lsn) and see if that helps some. And anytime you leave it to cool be sure the piston is at bdc.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:24 PM
kelly_and_brian

Thanks! It was easy to pull, not tough like when I flooded it. I'll give it a try again tomorrow. It was getting dark and it is tough to see the truck so I probably should have called it a night anyhow.

I verified the piston was down when I put it away tonight. Probably too late though. I wasn't expecting it to cool down that fast.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:55 PM
madmouse

if the motor is real cold it wount start ( found this out at a bash that i drove for over a hour to get too lol, but thats y i have a heater in my 1.1 lol )

try to heat it up with a hair dryer next time u want to start her and u will see a big diff ( i only do that for break in )