Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

New Savage Build Process

Old 02-06-2008, 05:40 AM
DiscoStu666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Savage Build Process

Hi

I have just picked up a new Savage X rolling chassis, I have had a couple of Savages, mostly from my mates so this is going to be my first true run-out with a brand new box and straight into upgrades. I have put a list below of the stuff I have already got just looking for some input on the missing parts particularly the engine.
List of parts I have picked up:
1) Savage X rolling chassis (obviously!)
2) 3Speed transmission
3) LCG Chassis
4) HPI Threaded Shocks
5) ProLine Mamba Wheels x 3
6) ProLine Road Pattern Tyres x 3
7) 2Ch Radio Set
8) 6 Bodyshells (All HPI(Various Patterns))
Bits I need advice on
1) Engine?
2) Steering Servo?
3) Reciever?
4) Other Hop Ups needed?

What I am trying to create is not just a show piece but something that will go very very fast, one of my mates is running a 3speed X with a Nosram .28 and the other a Picco P3 .28 in his 3 speed. I certainly don't want to be outpaced by them!! I have a good size budget so I am not so worried about the costs, just want to race my mates and then be able to put on show after. (Thus the lots of shells and wheel/tyres)

Thanks very much for your help.

Stu
Old 02-06-2008, 07:40 AM
carpenterman23

Default RE: New Savage Build Process

for the motor i put the ofna .32 in mine and love. i had the o.s. 30 but the ofna motor the rips. steering servo i would use the hs-645 mg. make sure you get a hump pack for the truck.if you watch ebay they come up in pair with a charger for around 20. as far as radio gear i would go with a fm system. anything from hitec to futaba is always a good choice. i would do the ofna brake mod ad upgrade the brakes to the savage ss brake system. as for hop ups if you want to beat your buddies dont use alot of aluminium parts. just adds more wieght. the plastic on the new savages is alot stronger than the other trucks. plus cheap to replace. the only thing i would upgrade would be dog bone, cups and the spur gear(steel). the bones and cups come from the ss kit. if you need anything let me know. i own about 5 savages now and know them pretty well. i hope this all helps.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Parputt537

Motor: LRP Spec 3 or Picco
Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Vigilante212

I agree with parputt I loved my LRP motor and I hear great things about the picco motors. Another motor you might want to check out is a go tech .28.

As for the servos you want one with 200 oz of torque for steering at least. I use a hitech 5955tg servo and I love it. For throttle you want one with probably around 100 oz or more no more then 200 oz of torque the faster the response time the better. Jr makes the j9000s its a bit pricy though another great one is the ace 1015 its probably the fastest servo I have seen. Im sticking one in my new buggy. It would work for steering also.

For the controller I recommend anything that uses 2.4 ghz this way you have less chance of glitching to to interferance. I prefer spektrum. Alot of people say the futaba faast system is better it probably is compared to the older spektrum ones. Although the new spektrum is supposed to be better then any of the others. If your on a bit more of a budget look at the Jr xs3 radios they are synthisized which means no crystals, but it still utilizes 75mhz radio.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Coxwaan

Ive got the same nosram as your mate has, and basically its the same engine as the LRP. they come out of the same factory. as well as the SH .28

From what ive read, not my own experince, the Picco P3 just tops it on power. but as i say, thats just what ive read....

Ive just put the STS inline pipe set on my nosram, and its definately betterthan the HPI polished (no ribbed)

http://www.jespares.com/radio-contro...-pipe-set.html

i run 17/47 gearing and it wheelies whenever, and hammers every savage ive come across. (os 30's sts 28's etc)

you have mentioned the chassis, i went for the innovative rc chassis. 6mm extended at the front. its well worth checking out the website, and chatting to rob, hes got some awesome products. and i just couldnt get over the difference in handling once id changed the chassis over!

innovative-rc.co.uk
Old 02-06-2008, 01:53 PM
DiscoStu666

Hi,

Yeah I am holding back on the pipe until I am settled on the engine, question over the pipe are the rear exit pipes better, worse or the same as the side ones??

I have ordered a Spektrum, I have heard really good things about the Hi-Tect servo's and I am just waiting for some prices on them. I was warned by one of my mates not to have to Metal Geared servos as than can promote interference is this true??

I will have a look at the web-site, problem is I already have bought the LCG chassis, I was given two options but I went for the more expensive HPI version as I was told the other one which I have forgotten the name is a pain in the backside to fit!! lol

Thanks for your input

Stuart

Old 02-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Vigilante212

With the spektrum you shouldnt have any radio interferance. I have never experienced it with my spektrum and hitech servo.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:03 AM
Coxwaan

if you want performance, forget the rear exhausts, they are just for bling factor. and when you get a good engine that will pull wheelies, you dont wanna grind your exhaust alng the floor. the general consensus on rear exit exhausts, is that they are a waste of time.

the point of the spektrum radio gear is that they dont use FM or AM i think. therefore regardless of sservo, metal geared or not, there will be no interferance.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:40 AM
DiscoStu666

Hi

That is great news I would like to Metal Geared servo's as I really dont like the plastic ones, they have always failed on me and it tends to be when I have gone out for a long play, usually quite away from home too!! lol

I dont like the rear exit pipes just wondered if they offered better performance than the side exits. I really quite like the look of that LRP Spec 3 .28, anyone have any opinions on that??

Can someone explain to me please, I was reading on other forums about guys putting in .21's?? Surely the bigger the engine, the more power, the faster the truck will go. Is this not the case??

I have also heard that the following engines are great anyone have any opinions on the following : Novarossi N528XSR or RB Concept TM728 or Sirio .28 sti.

The thing I keep finding is there is a huge range of .28's suitable for fitting in the Savage but only a couple of .32's fit or are available. Axial (Which I have heard bad things) OFNA .32 (Good things but cannot seem to get) and a couple of engines with manufacturers I have not heard of.

Thanks guys for your help it is very much appreciated.

Stu

Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 AM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: DiscoStu666

The thing I keep finding is there is a huge range of .28's suitable for fitting in the Savage but only a couple of .32's fit or are available. Axial (Which I have heard bad things) OFNA .32 (Good things but cannot seem to get) and a couple of engines with manufacturers I have not heard of.

Thanks guys for your help it is very much appreciated.

Stu
What exactly have you heard bad about the Axial .32?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:21 AM
Coxwaan

id be suprised if people are putting 21's in savages, the aint got enough grunt to pull em really. 21's are good in truggies and buggies, as they are higher revving should give better acceleration etc. Just like in real cars, the bigger the CC then yes more powerful. But it could all be torque rather than speed if you know what i mean. the axial 32, the force 32, they are gonna be very torque-y but wont rev as high as the lrp or the nosram, therefore probably wont have the top speed.

the lpr spec 3 is the motor of choice at the mo, and as said before, it will perform the same as your mates nosram. They are identicle engines from the same factory. The only difference is when you buy the LRP you get the carb insets to restrict air intake.

The RB engines and Novarossi are real high end engines. I you want the very BEST then yes that is the way to go. but imo you dont need all that in a savvy, my nosram throws my savvy around like it weighs nothing. the picco p3 or lrp will be plenty mate. But then if you want THE fastest, then yeah those engines are the way to go.

if i were buying an engine now, i would go for the picco or the lrp, probbly the picco tho, just to try something different.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:22 AM
DiscoStu666

Hi,

I have heard that for the money the Axial is not as stronger performer as its rivals. plus it can be a real problem to tune unlike the LRP , OFNA & Novarossi.

Thoughts??

Stu
Old 02-08-2008, 06:59 AM
DiscoStu666

Hi Coxwaan

Problem I have, is my mates have a Nosram & Picco P3, I really want to hand them there preverbials as they have been kicking mine for so long now and the ridicule must STOP!!

I have a good budget (Reason I haven't bought before, saving my money for this project)

My LHS is suggesting a TOP Engine at 199 GBP, about $375, I have not heard of them, so I am a little dubious.

What about the OS .30 VG? Do you know anything about those???

Stuart

Old 02-08-2008, 10:48 AM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: DiscoStu666
Hi Coxwaan

Problem I have, is my mates have a Nosram & Picco P3, I really want to hand them there preverbials as they have been kicking mine for so long now and the ridicule must STOP!!

I have a good budget (Reason I haven't bought before, saving my money for this project)

My LHS is suggesting a TOP Engine at 199 GBP, about $375, I have not heard of them, so I am a little dubious.

What about the OS .30 VG? Do you know anything about those???

Stuart
Buy supertib's modded Picco P3. That's about you're only option to go faster than a stock Picco P3.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:50 PM
azzman

I havent heard of anyone sticking in a .21 in thier Savvy...[&:]

The OS .30 wont give you any advantage over a Picco from what I've heard...I have the OS and its nothing special, although Im not running the recommended pipe...
Old 02-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Metallover

servo = hextronik hx12k servo. only 8 bucks with metal gears and bearings that is as good if not better than the hitec's. get it from unitedhobbies.com or ebay. I got mine from unitedhobbies.com and shipping took a long time, but I think it is worth it for 8 bucks.

I'd put a brushless system in it, but idk if you'd want to. Mamba monster max:]
Old 02-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Vigilante212

Just remember dime you get what you pay for $8 isnt going to get you very far. a set of plastic A arms costs more.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:25 AM
DiscoStu666

Hi,

The engine is sorted I have gone for the RB TM728 Concept apparently it is the ultimate for the Savages at the moment, I hope I have made the right choice!! (Nervous laugh!) Now I need a really nice pipe and manifold, I would rather avoid the rubber coupler if I can and the suggested pipe comes with guess what? Yeah a rubber coupler. So any help I can get on this too?

The servo's I have been told these are quite good? ACE DS1015.

Does anyone know anything about the following? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-STEEL-SLIDER...sid=p1638.m122

I really like the look of them but my LHS said they may not be reliable. Thoughts?

Are there better bearings than those standard on the vehicle??

Thanks for your help.

Stuart

Old 02-09-2008, 11:12 AM
jtoothman25

what's wrong with the k4.6?