Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Smack the Hobby Shop Guy

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:55 PM
P71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smack the Hobby Shop Guy

So I got a used Savage from my buddy who put in a just broke in 4.6 for me. I was having trouble starting it so he suggested a new glow plug. So I go down to my Local Hobbyshop and the guy there pulls it out and says "You're missing the washer. You'll have all kinds of problems if you don't have that washer."
So he puts in a new glow plug with a new washer and I take it home. The next week I'm trying to tune it and it keeps stalling and eventually won't start at all. So I figure maybe it ran to rich and I fouled the plug. So I take it back to the Hobbyshop and the guy takes the plug out (same guy) and goes "Here's you're problem. You have two washers in here. You can't do that. It'll never run right".
I could've killed him.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:57 PM
SavageXF4.1

Default RE: Smack the Hobby Shop Guy

Dont worry p71, we have all had those days when your back and forth. dont you just love it
Old 03-24-2008, 08:57 PM
whipnet

"Real Men of Genius" lol

Old 03-24-2008, 09:08 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you may think its his fault for being a smart @$$, you being the owner of the vehicle should have at least checked it out. Taking your car to the hobby shop every time it doesnt want to work isnt going to get you anywhere.. Only if you are at a complete loss as to what a problem could be, the lhs should be the last resort.. []
Old 03-24-2008, 09:33 PM
P71

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

While you may think its his fault for being a smart @$$, you being the owner of the vehicle should have at least checked it out. Taking your car to the hobby shop every time it doesnt want to work isnt going to get you anywhere.. Only if you are at a complete loss as to what a problem could be, the lhs should be the last resort.. []
I have no previous nitro experience at all. That's why I went to the hobbyshop in the first place. So they could show me what I was doing wrong.
But instead, he screwed something up and then pointed the finger at me.
Say you buy a Ferrari and are having problems with it. You are afraid to screw it up so you take it to the local Ferrari experts to fix you up. They in turn, do something stupid like put the wrong brake pads on it and screw up your car even more. So since you're the owner, it's you're fault cause you should've at least checked it out, right?
This is my first Nitro vehicle, and I haven't been able to get it to run since I got it. So yeah, I am a complete loss as to what the problem could be. The LHS ends up being my first resort.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:13 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: P71

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

I have no previous nitro experience at all. That's why I went to the hobbyshop in the first place. So they could show me what I was doing wrong.
But instead, he screwed something up and then pointed the finger at me.
Say you buy a Ferrari and are having problems with it. You are afraid to screw it up so you take it to the local Ferrari experts to fix you up. They in turn, do something stupid like put the wrong brake pads on it and screw up your car even more. So since you're the owner, it's you're fault cause you should've at least checked it out, right?
This is my first Nitro vehicle, and I haven't been able to get it to run since I got it. So yeah, I am a complete loss as to what the problem could be. The LHS ends up being my first resort.
I guess it depends on the type of person you are. Most folks in the R/C hobby are "do-it-yourself'ers"... which means that although they owned a Ferrari, they would change the brakes on it themselves...

I agree with most, if you're going to own a nitro R/C truck, you should understand the basics. If you have the LHS fix it all the time, you won't be able to understand. THink about it... if you were out somewhere... 100 miles from an LHS... and you had this issue... you'd not be able to enjoy your truck... from something as simple as a crush washer on the glowplug.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:22 PM
[]TEX[]

I typed out four different responses, but deleted them.

Learn to work on the stuff yourself.

This was the nicest one, BTW.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:30 PM
osuwins

your lhs guys are only human,you should always find out what the factory settings are on any engine you get, set them and go from there
Old 03-24-2008, 11:18 PM
newpat

^^^ have to agree... i'm not a mechanic AT ALL, i could easily use a new set of hands (i can barely align a screw with my left hand ) but i've learned so much about this truck in just a month... i still have 10 times more to learn though... do it yourself, you'll screw up sometimes but that's part of it... and don't forget about these forums... read, browse, post and you'll get lots of help!
and the best help i got from the lhs was from... a customer there!!!
good luck!
Old 03-24-2008, 11:32 PM
ForkliftJeff

The local hobby shops should not be your first resort. That's what we in the forums are for. I'm a mechanic and I love sharing my ideas and troubleshooting problems, and there are lots more people here that feel the same way. Any questions, just ask. My LHS guys are usually not too helpful, except for a few of em.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:01 AM
BANKRUPTER

I have to take this post for what it was and not what you did. Yep glow plugs are basic but still I hear ya. Had you took it there and then said whats a glow plug Id scold ya too.

But do ask thats what most of us are here for. Are trucks are fine and we want to help fix yours caz were board stiff.

That story is funny and disturbing. I have 1 LhS guy like that. He owns the shop so he's a shop owner to me. But a few of his guy's have nitro in their blood. I'll wait thru 3 people ignoring him, just to ask one of them to get me the pull start rope from behind the counter. Good restraint but next time slap the ------ out of him.

Did you call him out on this? How is the truck now? Do you need any help? Just holla were here...
Old 03-25-2008, 07:10 AM
The Hedgehog

I would think it can still start easily even with the extra washer?

This is the age of RTR's, people buying their trucks and knowing nothing about how to repair it.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, the Hobby Shop guy made a mistake. Most people do at one time or another. Maybe he's my age and his eyesight is starting to go.

RTRs are great for people new to this hobby. Get's them going with instant gratification and peaks thier interest quickly. Then as things break or wear out, they learn. Or they want more power, speed or better handling......they learn. And that means reading, asking questions, etc. If they don't want to learn, they most likely will drop the hobby.

The part of this hobby I don't like is that once some of these people learn, they look down on others who havn't learnt yet. Havn't seen it happen in the Hobby Shops much.....mostly just here on the net.

Have a great day everyone!!! I'm going to, even though I just shot my mouth off........LOLOLOL.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Vigilante212

I was a complete nitro noob in september of 2006. Now people ask me what to do sometimes. I picked up all I know by reading the forums, checking out tuning videos and any assembly video i can find. Searching around on the internet and from the other Locals in my area. It takes time, but unless your willing to learn you wont be able to fix the simple things that go wrong with your truck.

For example right now my truck is in pieces(almost like when i bought it). I can put it back together without looking at the manual once now
Old 03-25-2008, 10:41 AM
whipnet

P71 - These things can be a little intimidating, but one thing I have learned with every project and fix I have done on these is that it's always easier than I think its going to be. Try the repair yourself, you'll be surprised.

We are all here to help too.. just ask.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:10 PM
FirestormBasher

I don't care, I still think its funny that the owner was a idiot.

P.S. Remember guys you were new to this once too, give him a little slack.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:46 PM
DamageIncorporated

LMAO!!
Old 03-25-2008, 02:58 PM
beer=food
Banned

Time to learn mate, the car is your responsibility, a glow plug is about as easy as it gets and you needed help, twice ! Learn it dude or get an electric RC, or you will end up hating nitro and it'll be u r own fault.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:26 PM
eastcoast_basher

ORIGINAL: beer=food

Time to learn mate, the car is your responsibility, a glow plug is about as easy as it gets and you needed help, twice ! Learn it dude or get an electric RC, or you will end up hating nitro and it'll be u r own fault.
THATS IT IN A NUT SHELL! I too was a complete nitro noob in 2005 now i work everyone elses. good quote from Vigilante212 as well.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Longhair

ORIGINAL: []TEX[]

I typed out four different responses, but deleted them.

Learn to work on the stuff yourself.

This was the nicest one, BTW.
That goes for pretty much everything - cars, computers, motorcycles...

Why pay someone to mess it up when you can do it for half the cost?
Old 03-25-2008, 03:47 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: eastcoast_basher

THATS IT IN A NUT SHELL! I too was a complete nitro noob in 2005 now i work everyone elses. good quote from Vigilante212 as well.
I think all of us were nitro noobs at one point in time. When I got my Revo.. I had NO idea about nitro engines (of course, I had a good idea of how internal combustion engines worked)... but, the Revo was fairly intimidating... I dug into it... and now I can take it apart and put it together... underwater... blindfolded.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:39 PM
azzman

ORIGINAL: RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: eastcoast_basher

I think all of us were nitro noobs at one point in time. When I got my Revo.. I had NO idea about nitro engines (of course, I had a good idea of how internal combustion engines worked)... but, the Revo was fairly intimidating... I dug into it... and now I can take it apart and put it together... underwater... blindfolded.
Is that with SCUBA gear or holding your breath...

Back to the topic tho...this story just cracked me up...[:-]
I do feel for you...it would have really cheesed me off too if it had happened to me...
Hey if going to your hobby shop for little problems at the start helps you learn then thats ok, just because there is this forum doesnt mean its got to be the first place you go, different strokes for different folks...BUT as long as your willing to learn and not go to the LHS every five mins then your ok by me, just dont be one of those guys that doesnt even try...it will just make you poorer and the LHS richer!

I have done a bit of work at my LHS and there are some real funny things that happen...like the guy who rang up after buying a rechargeable glow ignitor (with wall charger) and asked how he charged it...[X(] ...some people just arent cut out for nitro RC...

And another guy who bought in his truck...it wouldnt run...(he had put a new piston and sleeve in it)...and after a few goes at tuning it we found he had put the sleeve back in not lining up with the ports, it was about 90 degrees off!! [&:]
Old 03-25-2008, 05:17 PM
rcnitrohead

Reminds me of someone on these forums who was ready to ship his warhead out to me so I can fix it[&:]
Old 03-25-2008, 06:40 PM
FirestormBasher

Is there a sticky about how these enigines work for the new folks? Some people only know; turn key put in gear and drive. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:22 PM
rcnitrohead

Theres the sticky about everything you should do before firing up your Savage, otherwise there are tons of threads on engine tuning and several vids.... Even a noob should know how to replace a glow plug, if you dont know that, then that worries me[&:]

If you want to find out how they work, go to the RC engines forum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.