Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage xl finally arrived!

Old 05-05-2008, 04:55 PM
mmduc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage xl finally arrived!

its big, alot lighter than i expected, really looks awesome. its raining here so i wont beable to break it in till sat as i work alot. ill keep you posted. i love this thing!
Old 05-05-2008, 06:26 PM
experimental_pilot

Default RE: savage xl finally arrived!

No pics?
Old 05-05-2008, 07:22 PM
mmduc

pics to come...........
Old 05-05-2008, 08:15 PM
under pressure

im jealous still wating for mine
Old 05-05-2008, 08:45 PM
mmduc

your gonna love it, ill report when i break in the engine, let me know what body color you get..... i got the blue.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:09 PM
SavageXF4.1

Pics,Pics,Pics, Videos,Videos,Videos!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 PM
mmduc

lol, i cant take any vids till the weekend, as im working all week, and wont have time to break it in til sat......
Old 05-06-2008, 03:51 PM
SavageXF4.1

well then get pics pics pics!!
Old 05-07-2008, 03:09 PM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

The body isn't nearly as ugly in person. I like the body and overall layout of the truck...which is really no different than a regular Savage. There is a HUGE gaping hole behind the engine with enough room for a massive fuel tank. [8D]

The sidewalls on the tires are much bigger than I'm used to seeing, but not bad really. Helps on landing big jumps I'd imagine.

Now honestly speaking this truck is just a culmination of all previous HPI upgrades from all previous models including a few extra's like engine, steering servo, TVP's, 3rd gear, etc. HPI can't rest on just compiling upgrades though. They can't leave all their innovation to 1 model in the Baja. That's proven to be one of the most innovative R/C's to come out of HPI or most other model manufacturers in a long time.

As far as models go the current Savage line is getting *very* long in the tooth and I'm surprised the line has survived as long as it has people being as finicky as they are.

The XL is a cool truck and I'd own one if I had the money and didn't already have (2) Savages with nearly exactly the same upgrades. I'd get it either way 'cause it's a cool truck for sure.

Having said that, a company that doesn't innovate doesn't survive. I'd like to see the next new thing from HPI personally.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:23 PM
savageman1208
Banned

PUIC PIC PIC PICSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO.....today PLEASE lol
Old 05-10-2008, 01:32 PM
FRENCHBLUE72

Pics????today maybe...
Old 05-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Medrivfast

Forget pics.... How's it run?
Old 05-10-2008, 04:50 PM
under pressure

i think hes pullin our chain...
Old 05-11-2008, 02:30 PM
SavageXF4.1

Yea! c'mon get something of the truck up by now! like hurry up! 6 days that you've had the truck and no pics?
Old 05-11-2008, 02:32 PM
mmduc

pullin your chain? lol thats funny. anyway, here is the update. i was able to run about 6 tanks thru it yesterdeay & today. im running byrons gen 2 30%, so the temps are on the low side. its has a ton of torque. i had to adjust the idle screw as it was way too low. it starts fairly easy, i followed the break in as per hpi manual. i think its gonna take about 1/2 gallon before it really starts to wake up. the pinch is really tight. first few tanks i just ran at 1/4-1/2 throttle. i started to lean it out after tank 3. it really started to come alive. for a big truck, i think it handles really well. on tank 4, i started to go to 3/4 throttle and got a 1-2 shift. it pulls really hard from down low. i know im not close to the potential of this engine, but i want to take my time with the break in. after leaning the hsn more, i got a 1-2-3 shift. i can say the top speeed not fully tuned is in the low 40 mph range. i think mid 40's will be no problem after break in and tuning. i had to adjust the lsn some what as it was very rich. the one problem i had was the radio seemed to cun in and out, i found the rx chrystal had come loose. i ran it a lil while longer and the same thing, so i taped the rx chrystal in for now until i set it up on my jr fm radio. all in all this thig is a beast, handles really well, and good response from the k5.9. it starts easy and seems to hold a tune really well. ill report again after i run a few more tanks thru it and fine tune the engine. ill keep everyone posted. i work alot so my time with it is limited. but i can say that this has truck is gonna be awesome in all all aspects. for the person who thinks im yanking your chain, maybe you can elighten me on what you own or have and what your feedback is.......... more to come later[8D]
Old 05-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Medrivfast

I'm glad to hear this reveiw. Makes me want to go out and get it even more now.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:37 PM
SavageXF4.1

4 tanks of gas and still no piccs or videos? come on! I wanna see some pics or vdieos! HURRRY UP!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:31 PM
under pressure

ORIGINAL: SavageXF4.1

4 tanks of gas and still no piccs or videos? come on! I wanna see some pics or vdieos! HURRRY UP!!!!!!!!!!
i think hes pulllin our chains lol i just want to see the monster...
Old 05-12-2008, 08:49 PM
mmduc

further update, yesterday late after noon, i ran a few more tanks thru it at 1/2-3/4 throttle, the engine is definatley starting to come alive. i still dont have the low end tuned, ad i cant pull a wheelie, but the front is starting to lift up somwhat. it seems to pull really hard from 1/2 throttle, and does a 1-2 shift no problem. i started running it over curbs and in front yards of neighbors, and it handles extremely well. soaks up moderate bumps with ease. again, im not going to full throttle until i have run a few more tanks thru it. it moves very quick for a large truck, and i love the way its sprung. seems to respond very well in bumps ect. i work late most nights, so i wont be running it till this up coming weekend. i really want to dial in the lsn, as i heard from another owner that his wheelies on command. im not at that stage yet. i think ulitimate hobbies has them in stock for $529 plus free shipping which is a steal. i paid $555 from tower with the $35 discount. if you can get one for $529, its a steal ! this truck is awesome, i think i like it better than my losi lst2 ! ill keep you guys posted......
Old 05-12-2008, 08:56 PM
[]TEX[]

Guys, it's a Savage...the same friggin savage from years ago, just longer and a bigger motor. You don't need pics.

Like some one else said, the Savage is old and dusty.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:08 PM
mmduc

yes, its a savage, with a really big motor, and a 3 speed, and yes its longer, and yes you dont need pics. BUT. after owning many r/c trucks, i can say this is probably my favorite. the savage line is what it is because of how durable they are. your right, this is just a larger scale version on a savage x. but then again, if you look at any truck out there, there is no new earth shattering revolution that has come out since the revo. i like my revo alot for what it is, i like my lst 2 for what it is, and i like my baja ss for what it is. but the fact of the matter is that this is hpi's newest creation, and for what it has out of the box, im really impressed. if its just another savage, then why bother responding. i think hpi did a great job, its not like a revo platnuim, same engine, few upgrades, and pump the price up $150 more. the xl is nothing more than a big basher with hudge amounts of torque to boot, and with the 3 speed, its very impresseive for $550. for those of you that want to hear my updates as they happened, stay tuned.
peace.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:11 PM
go-to

ORIGINAL: under pressure
i think hes pulllin our chains lol i just want to see the monster...
It's a good thing you don't know what you're talking about.

Pictures and video's can be seen at the HPI website if you're *THAT* anxious. I've seen Mike's truck...it's not a hoax or anything if that's what you're implying.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:14 PM
go-to

ORIGINAL: mmduc

yes, its a savage, with a really big motor, and a 3 speed, and yes its longer, and yes you dont need pics. BUT. after owning many r/c trucks, i can say this is probably my favorite. the savage line is what it is because of how durable they are. your right, this is just a larger scale version on a savage x. but then again, if you look at any truck out there, there is no new earth shattering revolution that has come out since the revo. i like my revo alot for what it is, i like my lst 2 for what it is, and i like my baja ss for what it is. but the fact of the matter is that this is hpi's newest creation, and for what it has out of the box, im really impressed. if its just another savage, then why bother responding. i think hpi did a great job, its not like a revo platnuim, same engine, few upgrades, and pump the price up $150 more. the xl is nothing more than a big basher with hudge amounts of torque to boot, and with the 3 speed, its very impresseive for $550. for those of you that want to hear my updates as they happened, stay tuned.
peace.
Very well-said Mike. It's a culmination of all previous *upgrades* PLUS some in one package for the price we are used to paying. Can't really beat that!

Maybe when we set up some time to go bashing I'll bring my video camera.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:21 PM
mmduc

thank you chris, and thanks for making me that battery pack. hope we can hook up soon. ill call you this week man. and yes, youll be the 1st to drive the new savage..... ^5 man
Old 05-12-2008, 11:30 PM
go-to

ORIGINAL: mmduc

thank you chris, and thanks for making me that battery pack. hope we can hook up soon. ill call you this week man. and yes, youll be the 1st to drive the new savage..... ^5 man
Dude you're gonna love it...I've got a 200oz-in Airtronics servo in there and I've been driving 2 tanks every day for a week on a single charge!! woo hoo baby! Oh and did I mention that the battery level indicator hasn't moved yet! haha

I'm gonna get some heat-shrink from the LHS before I hand the pack over to you. Looks friggin' factory! I might make some and sell them. hehe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.