Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

pipe ?

Old 06-03-2008, 05:29 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pipe ?

i got the X SS and was wondering if the ribbed tuned pipe will give me better bottom end or if i should get a different pipe?

rclugnut10
Old 06-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Parputt537

Default RE: pipe ?

The ribbed is for bottom end, but most people just go with the HPI Polished. Better all around pipe and they are cheap.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Wisconsin Nitro

I have the ribbed on my axial .28 and its great

real loud and lots of power coming from it

I say go for it dude
Old 06-03-2008, 08:09 PM
BudBud

I say go for a 053 or 086 Dynamite with a Tsais header and ditch the leaky silicone coupling. When you get ready to upgrade your engine, you will already have some quality exhaust to run it with. BB

Old 06-03-2008, 08:57 PM
MTboy

Budbud what performance do you get with that pipe? I like the looks and am thinking about a new pipe. Thinking the Buku but it's spendy.. How much do those run?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:11 AM
yoster

I would love to see some dyno-charts to compare these pipes. I honestly think they're one of the most over rated items in RC.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Parputt537

ORIGINAL: yoster

I would love to see some dyno-charts to compare these pipes. I honestly think they're one of the most over rated items in RC.
I agree. Sure there is some difference in length, chamber number, but overall a pretty small performance difference between them for the every day basher.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:14 AM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Parputt537
I agree. Sure there is some difference in length, chamber number, but overall a pretty small performance difference between them for the every day basher.
From my experience...I can't agree. There is a significant difference in performance from the ribbed HPI to the smooth polished HPI pipe. Install an insert into the polished pipe lessening the diameter of the stinger and you get an even *more* drastic difference. The ID of that stinger is 10mm whereas my Dynamite pipe is slightly under 8mm. Can I prove that on a dyno? Man how many of us can really do that anyway?!

Having grown up around 2-stroke and racing...a pipe has a *dramatic* effect on performance. I gained 15mph on my SeaDoo XP with a pipe change. BudBud proved this stuff with his STS engine.

Huge gains can be had in the pipe.

I saw this first-hand when my dad had an engine dyno...a simple set of collector pipes (1ft extension) netted some huge gains on our race SBC 350. Not the same as a chambered pipe, but the idea is the same.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:21 PM
yoster

There's more to it than that. You're comparing engines with a separate fuel pump system, AND with far more initial power. A pipe will increase power by a percentage, not a flat number. Your 10% on a 350 will net more than 10% on a SeaDoo which will be more than 10% on your rc. That said, most rc pipes function better in their consistency to provide pressure into the fuel tank. The fact that it is a 2-stroke has nothing to do with it.

I TOTALLY agree with you in that there is extra power to be had, but that wasn't really my point, it was how much they are over-rated and priced. You can't tell me that a $100 pipe is more effective than putting that money in a better engine. Again, this only applies to RC really. That same $100 basic flowmaster on a car with a stock restrictive exhaust could possible yield much more.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:04 PM
SaVaGe MaN SS

im running a jp-2 on my savy xl but i really should of bought a buku
Old 06-04-2008, 07:01 PM
BudBud

SuperTib posted dyno charts with various pipes on the Picco engines as well as the Axial engines and the difference is huge all across the power band. I do not have a dyno, but it does not take very long to see and hear the difference, it has to be the biggest boost for the buck in engine performance. What I do not understand is why Hpi does not come out with a better pipe. Maybe their pipe is a built in rpm limiter. ???? Dunno.... I posted video of my STS and I can tell you a Picco 28 on an Hpi pipe is a turd compared to what it will do on an 086.

To answer the question of what pipe combination that truck has, it is a Tsais header with a Dynamite 086 pipe. The performance gains on that Picco is huge. It makes a big difference on the K4.6 as well, but nothing like you see with the Picco. Go-to got me started on the Dynamite pipes. I had already seen the light with the Ofna pipe on my Truckzilla.

Here is the STS 30 with their pipe, I could not make this engine run any high rpm on the Hpi pipe, it really did not like the 053 either, it did fair on the 086. The video covers 600 feet, I went back and measured it, the truck covers the 600 feet in ten seconds which is a ground speed of really close to 41 mph. Those are Proline Bowties and the big wheelie wheel on the Hpi bar. BB

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMGQq1sd9Jc&feature=related]I forgot to post the link....[/link] what an edit... BB
Old 06-06-2008, 08:33 PM
SAVAGEBANE

right now i just have a stock x4.6. i think i am ready to go with better exhaust(ive been ready since i got the truck and that ugly pipe). anyway i love to lift wheelies and my driving style likes torque and power to get off the line with. with that said which dynamite pipe do i go with? 086 or 052. which is for low end and does the engine have to be retuned. i am eventually going to get a picco p3 later. is one of these pipes better suited for that engine? thanx for any input
Old 06-06-2008, 09:47 PM
BudBud

The 086 is the Picco ticket.... funny that you would ask this today as I just uploaded a video of an Axial 32 with an 086 on it. For an engine that is not supposed to turn any rpm, I think it does [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCdVeHZuyCw]pretty good.[/link] The 053 will give you more mid range power and a little less top end, I have three Piccos on 086 pipes, I will try to get a video up soon. I have one of my [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyWc7ABQ6-k]son[/link] driving my favorite Savage, a Truckzilla with a Picco and 086, but I do not think he ever opened it up. I think he was afraid he would wreck it, which is quite unusual for him. He knows I really like that truck, maybe he thought I would stomp him in the dirt or something. BB
Old 06-06-2008, 10:07 PM
MTboy

I like your video's and think it's good to see you and your son out ripping it up.. That is what I love about this hobby.. Getting out with the son and having a good bash session.. Thanks for the vids on the pipes cause like savagebane I'm looking for a pipe and also plan on the picco some time down the road..
Old 06-07-2008, 12:24 PM
hilifemt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pipes make a huge difference in power and performance. When I slapped on the BUKU power pipe in my truck, it felt like I upgraded my engine. It really made a HUGE difference. some people think spending 100 bucks on a pipe is a waste when you can upgrade the engine....but just remember, pipes don't wear out and last forever(for the most part)....engines needs replacing every 4 to 10 gallons. my 2 pennies.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:16 PM
MTboy

I have been interested in the buku since I heard about it. I think and have heard it makes a huge difference. That it's worth the money.. One of the reasons why I keep putting off buying a pipe...
Old 06-07-2008, 07:58 PM
BudBud

There was a pretty good thread going on here about the Buku, Bankrupter bought one and he seems like a pretty mechanical minded guy to me. He messed with it quite a bit and took it off. He would not sell it though. He said he was keeping it to try out on a future Picco or LRP upgrade. You might search the Hpi Monster Tuck forums here on RCU and see if you can find that thread.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWTOXrYT7tw]Here is another[/link] video of my son running a Picco 28 on an Ofna 086 pipe, this one is in a buggy though, it is wailing. The local highway patrol clocked this buggy at 46 mph when I was breaking it in. That was on a parking lot, it has enough power to pull a taller gear, but I want to modify some mud guards, get some reversed wheels and turn it into sort of a truggy. I would like to know what kind of rpm that thing is turning, especially when he aired the tires out. BB
Old 06-08-2008, 05:17 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Wisconsin Nitro

real loud
Yep, the ribbed pipe is probably the loudest out there.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:19 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

I just bought an 053 for about $20 shipped on fleabay. Impulse buy, anyone?[&:]
Old 06-09-2008, 05:51 AM
BudBud

That was a steal on that pipe! I had pretty good luck with the 053 on several engines. It is rated as a mid range pipe but it will klick hard on the top side. My favorite for most of my applications has been the 086. I just love that high speed buzz.

If you need your money back on that 053 let me know. 8-)

What brand was that pipe anyway? BB
Old 06-09-2008, 09:27 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

hard ano'd Dynamite. it's just the pipe, supposedly a scratch 'n' dent deal. I can't find an identical one on Horizon's website. It'll work with my inline THS header though, so I'm happy

Midrange is what I want with my M427, and I figured "why the hell not!"
I may plug the stinger and do a hole in the pipe, like on an Associated or Losi gas truck pipe...or I may just pull the pipe away from the chassis and be super-lazy like I usually am

What I bought:

Edit:

I meant pressure fitting, not stinger. Plugging the stinger is NOT a good idea[&:]
Old 06-09-2008, 09:37 PM
BudBud

Try it before you change it. That fuel nipple is at a wider angle than on a standard pipe. It should lay nicely along the chassis....

I have since changed to an 086 on that Picco. BB
Old 06-09-2008, 10:00 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Awesome.

I just found an 086 pipe for $214!!! holy moses!

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Vauen-Monte-Carlo-Collection-086-Tobacco-Pipe_W0QQitemZ320252421152QQihZ011QQcategoryZ596QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638 Q2em118Q2el1247]CLICK HERE[/link]
Old 06-09-2008, 11:24 PM
BudBud

I'll bet that baby smokes good too! [8D]