Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

XL break in, prepared to be bored!

Old 07-05-2008, 07:57 PM
BudBud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XL break in, prepared to be bored!

I think today was the first time I ever burned over two quarts of fuel and never had the tires leave the ground, none of them!

I started at home with the truck on a cardboard box, tires hanging. I started it and was trying to get it to reach 250. It was 95 degrees here today and there was a mild wind. I kept leaning it out, checking the temps, leaning it out, checking the temps, I did not think it was ever going to hit 250! I ran the first tank through and just barely got it over 200. By the end of the second tank, I had been to 250 twice. I returned the settings to stock and put the truck on the ground. I had to trim the throttle up some to keep it running. I drove through the first tank and when I brought it in for a temperature check, 113 degrees. I have no idea how it could even run at that temperature.

[link=http://youtube.com/watch?v=QoVP89y_3d0]tank one 113 degrees[/link]

I turned the hsn 1/4 turn and ran through the second tank, wow! 115 degrees....

[link=http://youtube.com/watch?v=gbECxtk95XU&feature=user]Tank two 115 degrees...[/link]

So.. another 1/4 turn in and run the truck, a whopping 133 degrees, these videos are painfully boring to watch...

[link=http://youtube.com/watch?v=gbECxtk95XU&feature=user]Tank 3 133 degrees..[/link]

I cranked it in another full 1/4 turn and it was much better, but after running the bulk of the tank out, it was only at 180 degrees.

[link=http://youtube.com/watch?v=H83jNiQjZRA&feature=user]Tank four .... 180 degrees[/link]

There are a couple more videos loading now, it gets better, so far this thing runs super cool. This series gets my vote as some of the most boring RC videos I ever watched... BB

Old 07-05-2008, 08:26 PM
BudBud

Default RE: XL break in, prepared to be bored!

The video from tank five is taking forever to load. This was towards the end of the day's second quart. It is making pretty decent power, is way too rich still, but is slipping the slipper clutch. I quit before I fried it. If I get time tomorrow, I will try to get some power out of it. So far, it has been very cool running. That is Byron's Gen 2 30 percent race fuel. BB

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Iv2ubFloM&feature=user]End of the second quart for the day.[/link]

Editing to add a link to tank five, a whole 198 degrees.... getting closer!

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDUmrQZm8H0&feature=user]Tank Five 198 degrees...[/link]

Old 07-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Sparco

Lookin good! 113 deg! wow! Ive never seen an engine run cooler. Hopefully all works out well for you and that XL!
Old 07-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Revomad1

Mine ran really cool during break-in also. Once I started actually driving it hard, the temps got hot in a hurry. I think if I drop my gearing a bit, it will run cooler. 17/47 is too steep for Big Joe's I think. Once you start doing full-throttle runs, it will get pretty hot.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:40 PM
BudBud

I did get it all the way up to 230 degrees! I will set the idle back up too. Right now I have it idling on the radio trim, so if I hit the brakes, it kills the engine. I like to do that rather than trying to pinch the fuel line while breaking one in. Just a personal preference thing. It looks like it is going to be a pretty fast truck, I am hoping anyway. BB
Old 07-05-2008, 09:44 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

XL videos=XtraLame! HA!

i need to occupy myself with something so i stop wanting an XL
Old 07-05-2008, 09:46 PM
BudBud

I hate to admit it, but it drives better than my Truckzilla. I have a long ways to go to match the Picco snap though. [8D] BB
Old 07-05-2008, 10:04 PM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

need a ramp/jumps something.
i keep eyeing the xl at the lhs and you got the colour i want RED.
some reason the lhs only got one red all the rest have been blue.[:@]
Old 07-05-2008, 10:50 PM
BudBud

I have both colors..... when I found out the body is a perfect fit for my Truckzilla chassis; I went and bought two blue bodies. I will have a fake XL running around soon. 8-) BB
Old 07-06-2008, 01:02 AM
Medrivfast

While breaking mine in with 90 degree weather the XL would temp around 147 degrees. That was on the first tank. Than it would gradually get higher temps every tank there after without even touching the needles.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:06 AM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: Medrivfast

While breaking mine in with 90 degree weather the XL would temp around 147 degrees. That was on the first tank. Than it would gradually get higher temps every tank there after without even touching the needles.
Souunds like a progressive air leak!
Old 07-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Medrivfast

ORIGINAL: BudBud

ORIGINAL: Medrivfast

Souunds like a progressive air leak!
More like the engine comming alive. I have about 3/4 gallon of fuel through her and she is running strong....
Old 07-06-2008, 06:15 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i temped my k4.6 at like 120-200 thru breakin i to keep the ingnitor on it for most of the first and second tank, but i didn't tough the needles i was still scared of over leaning it and destroying it now i'm more comforable to touch the needles during breakin and i know how to tune (kind of)

rclugnut10
Old 07-06-2008, 06:21 PM
BudBud

I found 278 degrees today, it is 97 outside and I was pulling some pretty deep grass. I gave it a little more fuel after that. It was pulling great though and wheelies were no problem, well, they were a problem, no wheelie bar yet. It really stands tall when it gets up there on those tall tires and long chassis. That is kind of cool to watch.

Anyway, I ran two more quarts through, so I have burned a little over a gallon in two days. I ordered another case of fuel last night. Four gallons of Byrons Gen 2 RTR 33 percent. They were sold out of 30, the 33 has only 8 percent oil, so I think to be safe, I will dump in a few ounces of caster oil.

I took some video, but I am not sure if I got it as my camera battery was dead when I went to turn off the camera. It was fun! [8D]

There was a couple of guys sitting at a picnic table drinking beer, nothing wrong with that, pretty soon one of them comes over and wants to know how fast it is running. His guess was 60. I told him it was supposed to run around 40, but I did not think mine was getting there yet. He wanted to know where he could buy one, he was pretty excited until the dollars came up. BB
Old 07-06-2008, 06:45 PM
twomanytoys

People think these are cheap toys till they hear how much we pay for them. And thats not with the cost of all the extras you need to get them running. I take some friends out on my boat for the first time and they want to go out and buy one till they hear I paid over 50k for it. Hobbies are not cheap.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:48 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

people just don't get that, but there worth every penny or at least they should be and if they're not you're in the wrong hobby
Old 07-06-2008, 06:56 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

People think these are cheap toys till they hear how much we pay for them. And that's not with the cost of all the extras you need to get them running. I take some friends out on my boat for the first time and they want to go out and buy one till they hear I paid over 50k for it. Hobbies are not cheap.
The thing that always got me when I had a boat was that nobody wanted to help out with expenses. I had my boat paid for when I bought it, an 18' Cajun with a 150 Evinrude on it. I bashed it hard fishing, you have to get where the fish are and if that means sandbars, an occasional rock or log, that is part of the game. You know the routine though, 20 to 40 bucks to tow it to the lake, 20 to 30 bucks for fuel on the lake, boat oil, batteries, fishing tackle, insurance, licenses etc.... They all acted like it was free because the boat was paid for. I did not mind taking a guy fishing, but when they started expecting the free 100 dollar trip twice a week, it got kind of frustrating. RC is much cheaper than keeping up a bass boat!

I cannot believe how easy this 5.9 starts, just a quick bump and it lights every time. I am enjoying that part! I really do not need this big old dual battery roto-starter of mine. BB
Old 07-06-2008, 06:59 PM
twomanytoys

How is the power of teh 5.9 compaired to the picco? I know you werent happy with the LRP.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:13 PM
BudBud

I am not sure, but I think it is suffering from low fuel pressure on the top end. When I lean it down enough to get the rpm up, it goes flat and gets hot like the Picco did. As long as I run it at a fairly high rpm, but not wide open, it does fine. If I add fuel, it is obviously too rich, it is not lean stalling.... but then it is still pretty new. That was wild yesterday, a full tank of fuel in less than three minutes.

It is no Picco P3, I really did not expect it to be, way back when the threads started, I thought the P3 would probably outrun the 5.9 in every way and I still think that is the case. My Truckzilla actually weighs more than the XL.

The LRP is doing great! It is no Picco either, but after about a gallon, it really is coming to life. The last time I ran it, I did some kind of funky flip over the corner of the wheelie bar into a cartwheel and puked a front dog bone. I think the axle cup is pretty badly worn. I have not torn the chassis down yet as I have the XL parts to convert it, everything but the differentials and they are supposed to be on the way. I really like running the LRP, nice and smooth, decent power, easy to start, easy to tune, holds the tune well.

We are really kind of fortunate to have this forum available and a great core group that willingly shares their knowledge and experience. Anyway, my camera has some new footage of the XL on board and I am trying to figure out the Windows Movie Maker, I cannot find the setting screws or the bearings, so I am pretty lost..... [] Give me nuts and bolts, not buttons and what the hell is a digital anyway? BB
Old 07-08-2008, 09:12 AM
BudBud

I finally chopped out some of the video and made a three tank combination video. I stopped it several times to temp it and got the one 278 reading. As you can tell by the video, I was pushing high rpm runs. It shifts first to second almost immediately, which kind of surprised me. Anyway, I added a little fuel after the 278 and almost always it would come in under 260 in this video. I am still rich on the low side, it was hard to keep it from going clear over backwards. I am looking forward to my wheelie bar getting here! [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9WcCUrblJ4]Here is the video[/link] and it is still boring.... BB