Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

1/2 offset

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Super Mud
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2 offset

Anybody got pics of their savages with 1/2 offset wheels? Preferably maximizers but it dosn't matter. Thinking if I should get the 1/2 offset maximizer faceplates to replace my 0 offset ones. Also does anybody do anything special to stop their fuel tank from breaking?
Old 07-07-2008, 11:11 AM
drivefastgto

Default RE: 1/2 offset

I have Maximizers in 1/2" offset and I like them a lot...They're really strong, although they're a bit heavy.

Best way to protect the tank IMO...is to move it up front! [8D]

Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Super Mud

Yea they are a bit heavy compared to regular wheels. But untill I get my truck a little more stable and better handling thats probobly a good thing since it will help keep the wheels on the ground.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:29 AM
drivefastgto

Actually, heavy wheels do the opposite...they're harder for the springs/shocks to keep on the ground over bumps, due to the increased inertia. You won't have a problem though, they're not crazy heavy or anything.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Super Mud

Yea I kno I have a set right now, but good explanation.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Super Mud

bump
Old 07-07-2008, 07:34 PM
SAVAGEBANE

man your truck is ....is , i dont know how to describe. i was debating my next set of bash wheels and i was stuck between zombiemax and moab 40s . i am now stuck on the zmax.
nice truck
Old 07-07-2008, 08:55 PM
BigGrump

Your truck simply looks great. In some of the pictures it is just sitting there looking so much like a dragster. Totally cool, clean and balanced looking.

Dennis
Old 07-07-2008, 09:07 PM
twomanytoys

I have a set of 1/2 offset maximizers and love them.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Snake_Eyes

Can someone explain to me what all this offset business is all about? I have an idea in my head of what it is, but I wouldn't mind a real explanation to clear some things up.

Nice truck BTW.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:11 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow drivefastgto - nice ride.. For whatever reason, offset wheels(the hubs are more centered in the wheel, instead of out on the edge, making the truck wider...) have given me nothing but grief on my XSS.. Doesn't flip over as easily, but lots of broken plastic.. I've had Dirt Bonz on Ofna offset dish rims, then Badlands, and now Zombies.. I don't know why, but I had the most breakage problems with the Badlands - maybe cuz they're so tall and thin??????? Broke stuff with the Bonz too.. So far so good with the Zombies.. But one more dumb broken part (I'm talking broken hubs from landing a two foot jump, etc..) and I'm done with offset for good...
Old 07-08-2008, 01:11 AM
BudBud

By broken hubs are you talking about the wheel hub.... the new uprights seem pretty tough. I bounced my Truckzilla off my pickup tire pretty hard Sunday and could find no damage to the chassis. I did break the center hex on the wheel though. A 15 mph impact with a truck tire is a lot more energy that you are going to get out of a short jump. BB
Old 07-08-2008, 06:53 AM
HerrSavage

The C hub.. I know people don't like to hear it, but one of mine broke while "landing a wheelie".... Not making that up... Another off a 2-foot jump, and another..., I don't know, for no reason.. 2 of those were with Badlands and Proline Velocity offset rims, and one with Dirt Bonz and the same rims..
Old 07-08-2008, 07:20 AM
BudBud

You broke that part on a two foot jump or setting down after a wheelie?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:46 AM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: drivefastgto

I have Maximizers in 1/2" offset and I like them a lot...They're really strong, although they're a bit heavy.

Could you retake that top photo? Get a little clearer shot of the background in it? Is that a 66 or 67 Malibu wagon =====>>>>>> I mean your truck would look great with that wagon as a back drop.... [8D] Sweet.... twice... BB
Old 07-08-2008, 08:19 AM
HerrSavage

Quote - "You broke that part on a two foot jump or setting down after a wheelie?"

Exactly... Why would I make it up??..
Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 AM
BudBud

I was not accusing you of making it up, I have no idea why you would make it up.

I am just really surprised that one would break that easily. I snagged a clotheline pole running in the snow last winter with an off set wheel and it ripped the hinge pin out of the arm, but did not break the upright. I have smacked curbs hard enough to break the wheel, ran into my pickup tire, tumbled at speed, even hit a rock running way too fast and sent the truck into a long cartwheel and never broke one. I have only damaged the one A arm and bent the one hinge pin. I cannot tell you how many times I have bounced of the curb doing wheelies. It just surprises me it would break that easy for you.

Not trying to start anything or call you out, it is just that part has amazed me at how how much abuse it will take. BB
Old 07-08-2008, 09:56 AM
drivefastgto

ORIGINAL: BudBud

Could you retake that top photo? Get a little clearer shot of the background in it? Is that a 66 or 67 Malibu wagon =====>>>>>> I mean your truck would look great with that wagon as a back drop.... [8D] Sweet.... twice... BB
My ol' wagon? Good guess, but it's actually a '66 Buick Special wagon. It has a few things in common with my Savage...I have under $1500 in it, it has a 2-speed, and the wheels on it cost me around $50 for the set.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Super Mud

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEBANE

man your truck is ....is , i dont know how to describe. i was debating my next set of bash wheels and i was stuck between zombiemax and moab 40s . i am now stuck on the zmax.
nice truck
Forget about the Moab 40's, (unless you get the moab xl's) But their the heaviest tires you can get that are 40 series, even heavier than the big joes. But they might not be a problem with a savage though. My friend had them on a t-maxx and the truck was so heavy and slugish. and he broke driveline stuff all the time. Lol along with the 2ft jump thing, his truck rolled off a trampoline once and broke the skid plate tie rod and I think an A-arm from about a 3ft height.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:13 AM
HerrSavage

I was not accusing you of making it up, I have no idea why you would make it up.

I am just really surprised that one would break that easily. I snagged a clotheline pole running in the snow last winter with an off set wheel and it ripped the hinge pin out of the arm, but did not break the upright. I have smacked curbs hard enough to break the wheel, ran into my pickup tire, tumbled at speed, even hit a rock running way too fast and sent the truck into a long cartwheel and never broke one. I have only damaged the one A arm and bent the one hinge pin. I cannot tell you how many times I have bounced of the curb doing wheelies. It just surprises me it would break that easy for you.

Not trying to start anything or call you out, it is just that part has amazed me at how how much abuse it will take. BB
My experiences with my Savage 25RTR were pretty much the same.. Just not with the X SS unfortunately.. And, as I've mentioned before, for whatever reason the plastic seems tougher in colder weather.. All my dumb breakages have been in warmer weather, whereas in winter it's held up much better... Anyway, maybe I just got a lemmon. But because I've had these issues with my X SS, I'm switching back from offset to non-offset.. Not saying anybody else should - just that I've had these issues and I suspect in my case anyway offset seems to be a factor..
Old 07-08-2008, 11:33 AM
rclugnut10

i havn't boroken any of the plastics just the heavy duty steel, not jokeing and i've crashed from 7 ft up moving at 30 onto hard dirt done cartwheels and it's been fine
but some parts break at wierd times... just the way life be

rclugnut10
Old 07-08-2008, 03:57 PM
BudBud

My ol' wagon? Good guess, but it's actually a '66 Buick Special wagon. It has a few things in common with my Savage...I have under $1500 in it, it has a 2-speed, and the wheels on it cost me around $50 for the set.
Sweet! If I cold have seen those fake Buick ports in the fender, I would have known exactly what it was. I always had a sweet spot for those 64 to 67 mid-size GM wagons. Maybe one day, I will be in the right spot at the right time. Then the Savages will not have to ride out in the sun in that ugly old red Dodge.... and I do mean ugly! I love the Cummins 12 valve engine, I just wish they wrapped it in a nicer looking package. Nice find! BB