Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

what new motor for the savage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:44 PM
zsnow8x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what new motor for the savage?

what is a good motor for the savage thats not incredably expensive?

i looked at my 4.6 today and its just toast. i can pull it over without the truck coming off the ground after my airfilter fell off
Old 07-13-2008, 06:46 PM
twomanytoys

Default RE: what new motor for the savage?

Sportwerks 26v2 or loci mach 427. Best low budget engines you can get for about 130. Or spend a little more and get the LRp spec3 for about 175. DO NOT go with Axial. They are turds!
Old 07-13-2008, 08:37 PM
zsnow8x

are these motors more powerful than my 4.6 motor?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:41 PM
twomanytoys

Yes without a doubt. Expecially the LRP. Did you have the f4.6 or k4.6.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:02 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

Sportwerks 26v2 or loci mach 427. Best low budget engines you can get for about 130. Or spend a little more and get the LRp spec3 for about 175. DO NOT go with Axial. They are turds!
I love my Mach 427. Cheap, reliable, powerful...I'd stick with the stock gearing, and install new aluminum clutch shoes if you haven't already

I've been looking at new mach 427s on fleabay...i THINK the teal head one is supposed to make more power than the orange head? not 100% sure...but you can score them for pretty cheap from eBay chop shops.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:28 PM
BrandonFox28

Stick with the K or F4.6. They are the most reliable and still have more than enough power. They are ideal "get up and go all day long" bashing engines.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:54 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: BrandonFox28

Stick with the K or F4.6. They are the most reliable and still have more than enough power. They are ideal "get up and go all day long" bashing engines.
You have got to be smoking something...aside from pole, we already know about that.

the M427/SW26V2 are superior in power and quality. period.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:37 PM
rex87

Look into the LRP spec 3. Its not too expensive and has a noticeable performance increase over the stock 4.6.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:39 AM
BudBud

The LRP is a very nice smooth and strong engine. If you are that close to Picco P3 money though... it is crazy not to buy one. BB
Old 07-14-2008, 08:55 AM
zsnow8x

out of the motors you guys have said so far, what one really stands out over the others? or are they all kind of equal?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:36 AM
lauderboy

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

they are not all turds
Old 07-14-2008, 09:44 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Axial is a good cheap solid bashing engine. I bet you'd have fun with a .32.. I did with my 28..

The Mach 427 is my favorite engine though. And like TBJ said, you can get them cheap on e-bay.

They are probably the easiest engine to break in and tune(tied with Axial probably..), and have really nice all-around power for nearly every application. Plus, you can probably snag one for $125.. Then just thrash and abuse it for five gallons, then get another one..(if it doesn't last longer, which in all probability it would..)

Actually, here is your answer. Have fun with it...:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7458

(identical to the Mach 427, but with a snazzier carb...)

I love my LRP too, but they don't seem to last as long as the Machs.. I haven't had mine long enough to verify that though.. So far it's shredding it up though - love it.. My two Machs and LRP are all running flawlessly - so flawlessly that I can't be bothered to try anything else... Not when you see what you get for the money..
Old 07-14-2008, 12:19 PM
BudBud

[]

Old 07-14-2008, 05:37 PM
newaddict

Mach 427 is a hundred times better than ANY axial engine out there. They're quite unreliable and don't have a lot of power at all.
The mach can be tuned EXTREMELY easily and it holds a good tune forever. You get great fuel mileage ( I got about 15 min on 1 tank ).
The Orange head mach comes on the Losi Lst2 and is a enough to push that truck around so in a savage it will be even better. The Silver head/Teal mach 427 comes from the Losi muggy and the losi 8ight-t truggy and it is definitely more powerful than the orange head. Here is a comparison between the two engines: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_72...mpage_2/tm.htm

The carb on the teal head mach is way bigger and the head button on the teal is bigger providing more compression.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:28 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: newaddict

Mach 427 is a hundred times better than ANY axial engine out there. They're quite unreliable and don't have a lot of power at all.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:15 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: BudBud

I had to read that line a few times myself

I think he's saying the Axials are "Quite unreliable" and not very powerful. I hope, at least.

oh, and BB, you ARE correct about Picco building the old Werks 26...but we're talking about the SPORTwerks .26 that comes in their truggy and buggies, which the SW engines have always been built by SH, like all of Dynamite/Horizon's current surface engines (including the ancient .12PD and .12SPD...)
Old 07-14-2008, 08:35 PM
BrandonFox28

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: BrandonFox28

You have got to be smoking something...aside from pole, we already know about that.

the M427/SW26V2 are superior in power and quality. period.
Easy SpunkJunkie. It's just R/C and I don't wanna hear about what you have to say so don't quote it to me. If others wanna hear it, fine. But don't quote me and tell me. I honestly don't care. Preach about a Losi motor somewhere else, preferably in a Losi forum. Everyone has their opinion.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:54 PM
BudBud

[]

Old 07-14-2008, 09:58 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

BB, my experiance has been that SH engines are 100% trouble-free from the get-go, regardless of the LRP, XTM, Dynamite Mach, Platinum, or whatever other label they etch into the head or cast into the crankcase. That, IMO, along with the good power the 6 port engines make (XTM 2.47 pro, XTM 4.57, Mach 427, LRP 28 spec 3, et al) that can easily overpower almost any Savage chassis makes them awesome engines. Easy tuning, easy breakin, and my XTM 2.47 pro had about 15-18 gallons through it before the p/s were shot.

I have not run, and have no desire to run any Axial engine. the .32s look like torque monsters, and if I were to get one for free, I'd love to give it a shot. I'd love to see one in action in a Savage (have seen one run in an LST2, wasn't terribly impressed) Now, a Picco on the other hand...I wouldn't kick one out of my truck for any reason...but, I'm so happy with SH-built engines I can easily recommend saving $30 by buying the LRP or XTM 4.57 over a picco. Does that mean I KNOW they're better? No...i'ts just that almost all the engines in this entire thread are EASILY capable of overpowering any Savage chassis, since the Savage is NOT exactly the most efficient putter-downer-of-power there is...as evidenced by all the wheelie videos we love to post

That...and I just have TONS of SH parts laying around, so it's easy in the event that I lose a screw or need an OWB
Old 07-15-2008, 05:21 PM
newaddict

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: BudBud

I had to read that line a few times myself

I think he's saying the Axials are "Quite unreliable" and not very powerful. I hope, at least.

oh, and BB, you ARE correct about Picco building the old Werks 26...but we're talking about the SPORTwerks .26 that comes in their truggy and buggies, which the SW engines have always been built by SH, like all of Dynamite/Horizon's current surface engines (including the ancient .12PD and .12SPD...)
Just to clairfy what I was saying earlier, the mach 427 is way better than the axial since the axials are quite unreliable and don't have anything great in the power department.