Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage x conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 05:16 AM
cranedoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage x conversion

I have a savage x and want to convert it to a xl.What parts do i need to do this?Also have stock shocks,what should i upgrade to?
Old 07-20-2008, 06:14 AM
twomanytoys

Default RE: savage x conversion

You can buy the whole XL upgrade kit from HIP. It has everything in the kit.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:35 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can swing it, just buying a whole XL, then selling off the parts from your X that you wouldn't need as backups might be an option.. Just an idea..
Old 07-20-2008, 07:32 AM
cranedoc

Does anybody have the part number for the upgrade kit, and also any ideas on shock upgrades?
Old 07-20-2008, 04:12 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7&I=LXUCP3&P=K
shocks

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7&I=LXUWK6&P=K
XL plates, you'll need new diff outputs, axles and hubs to go along with all that, and spacers... if you want true xl dementions

the lug
Old 07-20-2008, 04:23 PM
BudBud

That conversion kit just gets you the additional length. If you want the width as well, that comes at a much higher price! The extended axles and spacers, then you need the dog bones as the extended cups are much larger than the previous models, if it is a bigger dog bone on the outside, it is on the inside, so you have to buy XL out drives or differentials. The out drives are some where around 18 dollars and if you keep at it, you can buy a complete differential for under 25. Those extended axles are bringing a premium, I am betting there are a lot of disappointed buyers out there when their new axles are not getting driven by their old dog bones. I know I was, I expected to use the 4.6 differentials and just buy the extended axles and spacers, it did not work that way. BB
Old 07-20-2008, 04:34 PM
trainrobber

Dont mean to butt in or hijack,BB if you had to put a figure on just the width conversion?I had the 1" nova wheel extensions,but they have worn out and there a little sloppy to start with.I learned how to drive this truck w/the extensions(makes for some long wheelies)now its a whole new ball game.Also i just ordered the uv jointed dog bones w/17mm conversion(go figure)Thanks for any input BB.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:12 PM
BudBud

I think I figured out right at 140 dollars per truck is what it cost me with freight. I did three of them and will probably do a fourth. I bought my 15 year old a new 4.6 RTR for his birthday. I got in a hurry for some of the parts though and ran them up too high.

At least I have killer dogbones and new differentials in all of them now. I really like the added stability. I did roll one twice today on blacktop. 8-)

It is 101 outside, I must be an idiot to stay out long enough for the consumption of two quarts of fuel.

Even my dogs are smarter than that. BB