Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Noobie Tuning question

Old 08-16-2008, 02:07 PM
emidyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noobie Tuning question

Hi All,
Just picked up the Savage XL for my son and I.
After some messing around finally got it to start and ran 4 tanks so ready to go full out.

The problem we are having is throttle related. We used the trim to adjust the throttle out so not to starve the engine(which was why we couldn't start it at first).
However when we brake the engine shuts off obviously because the throttle gets pushed back closed.
Now how do I get the throttle to idle at a point where the engine doesn't starve off when we brake? The manual is not much help and find that the 1mm setting is too tight.
Do I need to adjust the idle screw setting?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Henry and Dylan
Old 08-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Revomad1

Default RE: Noobie Tuning question

Yes, adjust the idle screw setting. Your low-speed needle setting may be a bit rich also. If you can't let the truck idle for an extended period of time without it stalling, you need to lean it out. Here is a great nitro engine tuning guide: http://www.*********.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm . Read it several times to commit the info to memory. Then you won't be a noob anymore! lol
Old 08-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Revomad1

Hey! I just noticed that you only live about an hour away from me! Welcome to the RC Universe forums from a fellow Canadian!
Old 08-16-2008, 11:02 PM
emidyl

Thanks for the tip and welcome Revo.

Made some adjustments tonight and will see how it goes when we can fire it up again.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:52 PM
BudBud

Mine came very rich on fuel and would barely pull itself, you will need some more idle gap until it gets broken in, then you will find yourself adjusting it back down as you start tuning. It is an excellent engine to work with, I am really enjoying mine. Do not be afraid to adjust the high speed needle shortly, mine would barely run 110 degrees as set from the factory and that is much too cold. Bud

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNoRg]A great video[/link] that is well worth watching from our friends at Hpi.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:51 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: emidyl

Hi All,
Just picked up the Savage XL for my son and I.
After some messing around finally got it to start and ran 4 tanks so ready to go full out.

The problem we are having is throttle related. We used the trim to adjust the throttle out so not to starve the engine(which was why we couldn't start it at first).
However when we brake the engine shuts off obviously because the throttle gets pushed back closed.
Now how do I get the throttle to idle at a point where the engine doesn't starve off when we brake? The manual is not much help and find that the 1mm setting is too tight.
Do I need to adjust the idle screw setting?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Henry and Dylan
HPI still doesn't include tuning DVDs with their trucks? Do what BudBud said and you will be good to go.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:12 PM
emidyl

Thanks for the additional info.
We were able to run on a track today and had it going pretty good for his first ever run and did allow a bit more idle gap and as it warmed up and kept some decent revs and blips it no longer shut down. Now if I can only keep him ON the track for longer than 30sec.
We're at about 9 tanks and seems to being getting better as we go and will go again tomorrow for more dialing in perhaps with the low speed.
The video link was great info.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:53 AM
azzman

Yea it will keep getting better for quite a few more tanks yet...after a few more tanks dial it in properly on the HSN then dial in your LSN.