Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Uh Oh! I think I n00bed it.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:01 PM
ChaseMe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh Oh! I think I n00bed it.

So I recently picked up a used XL and took it for the first run yesterday. Tried and tried to get it started but wouldn't turn over. Turned out to be the Roto battery cause I charged it a few more min and it started no prob. So anyway, I ran about 1/2 a tank and started to see some issues. I had a wheel acting strangely, etc. So I figured I'd run out the tank and take it home. Ended up rolling it over and the engine stopped. Once I flipped the truck over I could see a loose gear in the chassis, along with a plate of some sort.

Now that I'm home and spent time looking around I see the roto start area of the engine is missing or something! As well a pin seems to have disappeared for the drive train to the wheel (dog bone?). I've taken some pics so if you guys don't mind, what do you think of all this? What can I do?!

Keep in mind until this XL I've never touched a RC anything. Man I feel like a n00b right now...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18343.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1038950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86385.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1038951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17853.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1038952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72430.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1038953  
Old 09-22-2008, 08:47 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Uh Oh! I think I n00bed it.

I would have lost my backing plate TWICE if I hadn't put lock tight on the bolts holding it.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 PM
02R6420

Your going to have to loctite all of the screws/bolts that go into metal if you want them to stay in. Go over the entire truck, and even after you do this you will still have to check all the screws/bolts every so often to keep them tight. I find the ones that go into plastic dont usually fall out but they do loosen off a tiny bit from the truck flexing and vibrating.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:07 PM
ChaseMe

Ok thanks on the Loctite tip, was going to get to that eventually! Besides that though, it looks like parts are missing no? The shot of the engine is all I have, then the gear and plate are the only loose parts I have. Seems to be a lot missing...
Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 PM
racefans26

I am no expert on the 5.9 but yeah you are missing a few pieces for your backing plate assembly. and to mee looks like the oneway bearing is made into the backing plate. But you are also missing the shaft that goes into it. so from what i see. but like i said i dont know much about the 5.9 but you are missing the shaft backing plate cover and the little gear that your startedr goes into. And plus the pin out of that dogbone... but im sure you will get an answer from someone that is positive..
Old 09-22-2008, 11:06 PM
-SomeGuy-

From what I see your missing the grub screw that goes in the knuckle of the CVD dogbone, maybe the pin that goes in there as well, the small gear from the roto as well as the other half of the roto casing and most importantly the one way shaft that goes in your engine. I suggest you go back to where you used it and try to find as many parts as possible, especially the one way shaft.

Let us know what you find if you go.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:27 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

If it makes you feel any better about making n00b mistakes

I've been playing with RC cars since the mid 90s...and i fried two differentials in my XXXNT AD2 today...by not checking the ball diff. Something even n00bs get hammered into their head.

Hope that helps
Old 09-23-2008, 08:18 AM
ChaseMe

The chances of me finding any parts are slim. Can anyone suggest what I need to buy to get this thing back together?
Old 09-23-2008, 01:21 PM
-SomeGuy-

Wait a minute, I just noticed your from MTL, where did you go?
Old 09-23-2008, 01:25 PM
ChaseMe

This was a train station parking lot near my house (Ile Perrot). I've found the parts for the roto start assembly, and seem to be ok there. I'm hoping I can get the parts for the dogbone from a local shop. I'm going to see if I can remove it and take it around locally.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:35 PM
-SomeGuy-

I have the parts you need for the dogbone rebuild. I have the same set on one of my trucks and replaced all the pins with nails cut down to lenght. Go to udisco and get them to order the one way shaft www.udisco.com . If you havent been there its the largest hobby store in Canada and they have TONS of stuff, no so much for nitro but what they dont have they can most likely order. I dont see a problem with them getting that shaft, just get the part #. If you need any help just PM me, maybe we can also get together for some bashing sooner or later.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:52 PM
ChaseMe

So I was able to repair the dogbone. The truck I bought came with a mountain of parts, so it was an easy fix. Looks like the screw backed out enough to allow the pin to slip.

As for the starter parts, I ordered them from GreatHobbies. Grabbed the roto start assembly, shaft, and pull start as backup. I've been to Udisco once years ago and will check it out. I just hear too much about the attitude of the sales people there though.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:31 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless your perfect that won't be the first time you noobed it. Welcome to the wild world of nitro rc, where mistakes are part of learning.

I understand about the attitudes with hobby shops, thats why i mail order all of my parts!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 03:51 AM
-SomeGuy-

Yeah theres a couple guys in there that unless you have the exact part # and brand they wont take you seriously. I try to avoid them unless I have the part # lol. The rest of the people there are pretty nice. The main reason I go there is for the slightly cheaper prices on the nitro.