Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

New parts for my Savage!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:32 PM
speedzy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New parts for my Savage!

Hey im lookin to purchase quite a few parts for my savage over the long winter coming up. So i can have a totally new machine by the next season! These are the parts i am considering on getting, im just lookin for advice and possibly opinions on others i should consider, thanks a bunch.

Arms- FLM extended arms conversion, or RPM
FLM hybrid bulkheads
FLM adjustable shock towers (with LST2 shock conversions)
LST2 shocks
TVP's - Want something black cause i like the look of them. So possible Innovativ RC, Or maybe go with FLM heavy Dutys or LCG plates, opinions on the best plates?
FLM center skid
FLM motor mount
Possibly a new powerplant. Axial .32 or K5.9
all new electronics. still stuck with stock right now. Prob go with Spektrum DX3.0. And new servos as well to work with the bigger tires im gonna be getting
Axial Oversixe 8 spoke blacks mounted with terra-izzers.
Proline Dodge Ram body

So ya there you got it. I know its pretty much like a complete overhaul. It will be a good winter project. Just lookin for suggestions on other parts or parts to better what i have here. Thanks alot
Old 09-24-2008, 07:26 AM
Parputt537

Default RE: New parts for my Savage!

I would go with the Innovative TVP's. He sells sets with the plates, skid and motor plate, or you can just buy the TVP's. FLM makes good stuff, but I have read way to many stories of fitment problems with the FLM. My personal experience with FLM was that they were machined wrong and would not fit. Got the Innovative and they bolted right up. I personally think the Innovative look better anyway. He also makes black anodized which FLM does not.

For the power plant I can not recommend the LRP Spec. 3 .28 enough. It is way more motor than you could ever need. I have mine set up with the 3 speed and 19/46 Robinson Racing steel cb and spur and my truck flies. With the 19/46 combo it does not want to flip on the lid as easy and the top end is just insane. I have not put a radar on her, but I am sure it is doing close to 55mph.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:37 AM
BudBud

Before I bought a 5.9 at their current pricing, I would have to go with the Picco 28. In like trucks, with the same gear, the P3 outruns the 5.9 in a drag race or top end and the Picco has a two speed vs the 5.9's three speed. It also outruns the LRP Spec 3 in the same truck, same gear. The Axial 32 is a fair engine, but the Spec 3 will outrun it, costs the same and will probably last longer.

You are adding a lot of aluminum there, that is going to be a heavy beast. It should also be flashy, kind of cool looking. If you are building a shelf queen instead of a runner, I would have to go with an aftermarket aluminum head on a Picco engine, it makes it beautiful and huge looking! Bud

Picco 26 in the truck, Picco 28 on the work bench....
Old 09-24-2008, 10:21 AM
speedzy

ya im putting alot of aluminum on there. But its not gonna be a shelf queen. I like havin my trucks look real nice. But i also do drive them. But if i bashed it really hard i know i would probably go with RPM stuff. But i dont really. Just wheely around and take some jumps here and there. Hey budbud do you think i could get a link on that Picco? i couldnt find the P3 also wat aftermarket heads will fit it and by what company? Also if i were to go with the picco is there anything else i should upgrade to be able to handle the extra power? thanks and keep the opinions coming!!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:35 PM
racefans26

Hey BudBud instead of letting that beast just sit on the bench, I got the perfect place to store it for ya!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92558.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1040220  
Old 09-24-2008, 02:57 PM
BudBud

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OWVNyOzmo8]Here's a shot of it sitting on the bench....[/link]

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_79/products_id/5098]Picco P3 link...[/link]

[link=http://www.acehardwarehobbies.com/product_info.php?products_id=2714]Picco P3 link....[/link]

[link=http://nitrohouse.com/eng,_ofna_picco.htm]Picco P3....[/link] this is your best Picco parts source that I know of.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMCA4&P=ML]Picco.. I usually buy mine here....[/link] beacuse I am a Tower member and shipping is free, not to mention they give out 30 or 40 dollar coupons for purchases over 200 dollars once in a while.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJlITTet6vE&feature=related]Another day on the bench....[/link] [8D] Bud
Old 09-24-2008, 03:15 PM
BudBud

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kxyN807Tdc]Some more bench time for that truck.[/link] To be fair, I should add that to get your Picco to perform properly, you really should buy a higher rpm pipe to go with it. This [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ_QuBQ68TE]Picco[/link] is stock and [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExDPpRdj_Vg&feature=related]so is this one.[/link] Bud
Old 09-24-2008, 03:25 PM
racefans26

[8D]very nice!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 06:55 PM
speedzy

ya i was thinkin that i forgot to add a pipe to that list. Wat pipe do you recomment to compliment the Picco .28? also ive seen somewhere in the HPI forum some black LST2 shocks. I really wanna find those somewhere as i really am going for a black/chrome color scheme, but mostly black. Also is there anything else i should get to make my savage strong enough to handle the extra power? or is it pretty much good enough stock (as far as drivetrain) for the picco? thanks, and budbud thanks for the links
Old 09-24-2008, 07:07 PM
trainrobber

Your gonna want the OFNA 086,for the XL.As far as those lst shocks go the ones your explaining are the aftershock shocks.They have weaker springs and thinner oil in them,makes for a really soft setup.Check out Sportsfans"Weekend work"thread,he explains how he firmed up those shocks.Those aftershock shocks go for about thirty for a set of four,on ebay.Then you have to look at the conversion kits for those shocks,FLM,IRC and someone else makes one i just cant think of their name.Sport and i have the IRC setup,i personally think the FLM looks better(much cleaner),but i think costs a little more.Hope this helps.....
Old 09-24-2008, 07:24 PM
speedzy

oh thanks alot man. ya thats the forum i was lookin for. And i have been lookin all over the place for black LST shocks lol. But as far as 086 thats what i was thinking too as i have heard Budbud rave about the picco/086 combo a few times. And also is that pipe a bolt on for the p3? and im not lookin to go XL. Just stick with the size it is now. thanks
Old 09-24-2008, 07:50 PM
BudBud

The pipe to use for a standard chassis is the Dynamite 086, I used the Tsais header because they were a stand alone header from RCHUB. They are currently out of stock, but I sent them an e-mail and they lan to have more in soon.

On a standard chassis, you need that tight turn to get around the shock tower.

The top truck is the standard chassis, the bottom truck is a Truckzilla. You can see the difference in how the pipes exit. The Truckzilla is just an inch longer, but it makes a huge difference behind the engine.

Another view

Old 09-24-2008, 08:08 PM
speedzy

alright well ive been doin some research and have looked at sportsfans sick ride and might be getting convinced to going for XL after all! wat do i need to get to go XL? just the TVP's? or is there a kit that includes everything? and wat do you think? XL or not? thanks
Old 09-24-2008, 08:34 PM
BudBud

The XL is fantastic, you need the rear bone and the plates. You might as well buy the engine mount from one of the chop shops, it is a huge improvement over the original. You can groove yours for the rar shaft, but they were prone to break anyway. The width is a lot more expensive, just run off set wheels and you will love it. Bye, bye exhaust woes....
Old 09-24-2008, 10:09 PM
speedzy

k so im convinced lol didnt take much. Im gonna go XL, Picco P3, Ofna 086. LST or warhead shocks, FLM bulkheads, FLM shock towers, DX3.0 system, Axial black 8 spokes on terra izers, Dodge ram body (for me its nothing but the dodge logo gonna be on my shell!!) So thats on my list to order so far. Wat motor mount do you recommend budbud? link? thanks so much for all your help. And i think im gonna save the rest of the "bling" for later on sometime, cause i realized if it looks too nice im not even gonna wanna drive it! and then wats the point? thanks and anything else i should add to my order??
Old 09-24-2008, 10:10 PM
speedzy

oh also one more thing i forgot. Ive seen on sportsfan that hes got his tank located behind the engine? is that the best way to do it on a XL? also wat tank and stuff do i need to get to do that? thanks again
Old 09-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Midget

Highly Recommend FLM...
Heres my savage...So far, hahah

-FLM LSG Extended chassis
-FLM Extended arms Kit
-FLM Adjustable shock towers
-FLM LST Shock conversion Kit
-Proline 23mm Hex Kit
-3 speed
-STS 28

I wouldn't Mind getting the FLM engine mount and center skid plate.
Oh and i'm getting a new Body tonight

Oh and the only "Bad" design, would be the rounded edges on the TVP's.
They do look nice rounded, but when you want a nice tight fit, there designed
a bit poorly...
And the only problem installing the chassis was i had to File away the "Notches"
on the Tranny, Because the Screw holes didn't line up...
But apart from that, Extremely happy.

Sorry for the large images, RCU wont let me upload them...

Old 09-25-2008, 12:00 PM
speedzy

nice work there midget. Love the extended arms. And ya im thinkin of gettin the arms, towers, LST conversion, bulkhead. And not sure yet but probably gonna be getting either the FLM TVPs or the XL one. Havent totally made my mind yet. So ya im goin pretty FLM. But hey midget how are you likin the arms? do you bash? and how are they holdin up? ive heard not to go aluminum as its not very strong and will just bend. But im thinkin there probably pretty strong. Thanks
Old 09-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Midget

Yeah, Im loving them lol...
Going on, i've had the truck with FLM Arms, chassis and shock towers for two years.
I haven't Broken anything, apart from losing a few screws and striping some spur gears...
So either i don't bash it hard enough, Or the FLM gear is Strong lol...
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtn4JwDSjOo]Video...[/link]
Old 09-25-2008, 06:03 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: Midget

Going on, i've had the truck with FLM Arms, chassis and shock towers for two years.
I haven't Broken anything, apart from losing a few screws and striping some spur gears...
Nice video, was that a Toyota LandCruiser truck at 1:45... they are super rare here. How do you resist the wide open passes on that smooth dirt? I would have to go hammer down... Bud
Old 09-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Dman250

if you decide not to go XL, i think the low Cg carbon fiber tvp's for the savage x are pretty nice. They give a nice black look also, but if you get those you will need to buy a special engine plate
Old 09-25-2008, 08:25 PM
speedzy

hey midget lovin the truck man. Def am thinkin of going FLM. Especially since if i dont do the XL thing my trucks gonna be a bit shorter so itll wheelie pretty good (gotta love wheelies), plus be a bit lighter as well. And Dman i have considered the carbon fiber ones as well im just not sure if there as strong as the Aluminum ones, but ya they do look real sweet. are they as strong though?? also are you thinkin of the HPI ones or is there another company that makes them
Old 09-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Midget

For Some reason, My Savage is Actually Lighter than the Stock Savage with all the plastic parts...
Old 09-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Midget

ORIGINAL: BudBud

ORIGINAL: Midget

Nice video, was that a Toyota LandCruiser truck at 1:45... they are super rare here. How do you resist the wide open passes on that smooth dirt? I would have to go hammer down... Bud
Yeah, Thats a Toyota Land-Cruiser. They have heaps ova here in Australia...
Old 09-25-2008, 09:42 PM
BudBud

Wow, find mw an old pickup and ship it over! 8^)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.