Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage Projects

Old 11-08-2008, 07:54 AM
big J little J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Projects

Hey everyone,

I have had my savage for a while now and i need something new!

I want to start some sort of project, i dont have any ideas so i wanted to
know what projects you guys have done, or think would be cool. I do have a
money budget- around £400-450. Im not that intersested in racing, as there are
no tracks near be to me. the savage at the moment is pretty much stock,
(nothing has broken, so no need to upgrade, IMO). There is a need for it to be
strong, and fast[>:]. If any of you guys know any projecys that fit this, and ideas
would be hugly appriciated.

jonnie
Old 11-08-2008, 02:01 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Savage Projects

Get your self some insurance for the thing: fuel filter, fail-safe, vented clutch bell, aluminum clutch shoes, upgraded steering servo, then swap stock steering servo into throttle, rechargeable hump pack, heat protecting wrap for the fuel tubing. Then there's the more expensive stuff like motor, exhaust and so on.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:59 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Bearing up grade for the steering bell crank. I agree a better steering servo of at least 200oz torque. How much is £400-450 in US dollars?
Old 11-08-2008, 04:09 PM
big J little J

£450 is about 700 dollars, i have the hump pack upgrade and the servos, never heard about the heat protecting stuff before???

Is the LST shock conversion worth it???
Old 11-08-2008, 06:35 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

ORIGINAL: big J little J

£450 is about 700 dollars, i have the hump pack upgrade and the servos, never heard about the heat protecting stuff before???

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMHW7&P=7

Very cheap insurance for your fuel tubing.

I've read that the stock suspension set-up is the best for bashing. Make sure to have it with either 20-30wt. shock fluid. (lower=thinner, higher=thicker.)

[X(] $700 to spend ejjjj...build yourself a XL project like I am right now

3-speed transmission + modded Picco + good exhaust set-up=major profit in power!
Old 11-09-2008, 03:41 AM
azzman

I gotta say well worth it, those shocks are just WAY cool and tough to boot, I wouldnt go back.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:27 PM
big J little J

HHhhmmmmm...... I only really bash so i think ill stick with the stockers, what you doing in your XL
project PrjctStrtFrce???? and is the XL a lot better than the X4.6?????

Jonnie
Old 11-09-2008, 04:41 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

HHhhmmmmm...... I only really bash so i think ill stick with the stockers, what you doing in your XL
project PrjctStrtFrce???? and is the XL a lot better than the X4.6?????

Jonnie
I'm not doing anything crazy in the XL build, just a much better motor than the 5.9, better servos, RPM arms. May change some things up since I have a few months to build, but that's my route for now.

I've had my X4.6 since the beginning of August and decided to build a XL over the winter. If it were to be 100% the same as the one out of the box then it would be a little cheaper if not the same price than the STORE (ebay truck would be even more cheaper) BUT I want the satisfaction of actually building a truck from nothing.

The XL has beefier differential out-drives, thicker dog-bones, thicker and wider axles, and the chassis is longer.

www.hpiracing.com check out the XL page and you will see the side by side comparison of the XL vs. X4.6
Old 11-10-2008, 01:35 AM
ArancioC5

I too am building an XL from "scratch" and I am almost ready to assemble. It is WAY WAY WAY cheaper buying the parts then the assembled kit. I stress WAY. That is because you can source good deals. In my opinion my XL will be better vecause when I upgrade the engine later, I have a meaner, 40 series tire running beast with a custom body that cost me the same amount of money as a used ebay XL (and it will be new). NOW that all depends on the engine you pick.

I WAS going to buy a used XL but figured it is nice to have new parts and learn the truck from the inside out. I say if you are going to spend 450 quid on your Savage you are tossing money away. Spend half of that or atleast get a nice spektrum radio. Maybe get a REALLY nice custom body that is for those light run days when not bashing.

I'd say
1. New motor/pipe
2.XL conversion with X tranny (I hear too much bs about the 3 speeds)
3.Custom body that is from a top painter
4. Wheel/ suspension upgrades.

Stay away from all of the aluminum junk. Most of it is badly cast and the anodised finishes just do not last. Thats my .02 (pence)
Old 11-10-2008, 05:51 AM
nitro-mouse

The stock XL retails for about £400-£450 in UK. I tried to build me a savage X 4.6, but after doing some research and comparing prices, I found it cheaper to buy a RTR. Cost aside, I personaly won't buy RTR again as there is so much more to gain from building it yourself. The 4.6 is my first off-road as I have converted from touring cars(both of which have been self-builds) to MT.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:33 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

Why waste money on a custom painted body if you are going to bash with it?

3 speed transmission doesn't really have any problems unless there is a huge motor in it and it's geared for the top end, which will cause gears to strip, but other than that there's not much wrong with them. It's slightly a more PITA to adjust shift points because you have to take the transmission out to do so, but I'm sure it'll be easy after you assemble the truck and know what to take out.

I don't know how you are building a "WAY CHEAPER" XL when you have custom painted bodies, much more expensive wheels/tires and so on. I am currently a little over of what a brand new XL would cost, but I will have a few better things in it than stock...and you have quite a few more expensive items. Not calling bs, just curious what kind of deals you got on ebay
Old 11-11-2008, 11:30 PM
ArancioC5

you can raise the BS flag but this is what I bought from the bay:

TVP XL chassis = 15.00
engine mount= 3.99
engine plate=3.99
center dogbones with diff cups=8.00
xl dogbones=5.50
new 2 speed tranny = 15.00 (yes not a 3 speed but honestly I don't want a 3 speed)
new diffs=40.00
front and rear bumpers/skids=6.00
screws=7.50
dual brakes=6.50 great buy
steering assembly=5.45 won that tonight
xl gigante body=orange color 16.75
Hitec 645 mg servo= 12.00
SF-2 servo = 6.00
Venom safe temp fail safe = 25.00 shipped brand new got that on rctech.net
new battery box = 3.99
4.6 ss adjustable arms = 1.99
xl turnbuckles = 1.99
Hellfire shock towers=9.25
Hellfire cooling head=15.75 ripped off on that one but hate purple anodise
Ofna fuel tank = free
Axial 8 spoke 40 series=24.00
Big Joes=40.00
Terrapins with rims=19.00
8 new shocks=12.00 stock ones with springs
2 hump packs 1200 mah = 12.00
Airtronics MX-3 synthesized = 38.00 haha
k 4.6 -free

now I am still waiting on axles and hub carriers. But minus k5.9 and 3 speed which I will replace with LRP .28 or Picco, I spent in total $257.00 minus brand new engine so lets say add $200.00 and that is 457.00. That is RTR +. $138.00 less then average ebay price for an XL and I have way better stuff in a few areas and EXTRAS in my opinion.

With that said, if I would do it again and just buy an XL because the process has been frustrating finding the good deals and snipe bidding. In the end I will have a decent amount into the truck same as stock bought rtr, but hey all of my parts are new or will be, and I will most likely end up with big bores and the hell fire shock setup for $5xx.xx.

To be honest, I love how Savage parts are down right cheap compared to others. I could have kept all of my old parts from the 25 chassis and converted for next to nothing. My tranny was fine and diffs were fine but I just wanted new. Here is the bonus though, I sell my 25 roller for a few bucks and I can't complain. Then I sell my k4.6 for a few bucks and buy a couple gallons of fuel.

In any case, no matter how you buy your XL, enjoy the process

Oh and about why waste money on a custom body.... I'll tell you why. If you arent re using old paint you had and want a decent looking body you will spend around 50-60 for the body and supplies. Spend an extra 10-20 and get one done by a pro because if you mess yours up in the process you lose more $ and you most likely bash topless anyway. Besides when buying $500.00 toy trucks why get cheap with the body?

Danny
Old 11-12-2008, 12:12 AM
-SomeGuy-

Would you consider getting a baja 5b? With 700US to spend your not far away from getting a new one. You might even find some used ones in your area that have lots of $$ in upgrades already done, thats what I just did. Dont get me wrong, savages are great. I just wish I would have stopped at #2 and looked into something different. Now I have 4 with crap loads of spare parts and the baja [&:]

Just my 2 cents...
Old 11-12-2008, 12:36 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

ORIGINAL: ArancioC5

TVP XL chassis = 15.00
engine mount= 3.99
engine plate=3.99
xl dogbones=5.50
new 2 speed tranny = 15.00 (yes not a 3 speed but honestly I don't want a 3 speed)
new diffs=40.00
screws=7.50
SF-2 servo = 6.00
new battery box = 3.99
xl turnbuckles = 1.99
Ofna fuel tank = free
Big Joes=40.00
k 4.6 -free

now I am still waiting on axles and hub carriers. But minus k5.9 and 3 speed which I will replace with LRP .28 or Picco, I spent in total $257.00 minus brand new engine so lets say add $200.00 and that is 457.00. That is RTR +. $138.00 less then average ebay price for an XL and I have way better stuff in a few areas and EXTRAS in my opinion.

With that said, if I would do it again and just buy an XL because the process has been frustrating finding the good deals and snipe bidding. In the end I will have a decent amount into the truck same as stock bought rtr, but hey all of my parts are new or will be, and I will most likely end up with big bores and the hell fire shock setup for $5xx.xx.

To be honest, I love how Savage parts are down right cheap compared to others. I could have kept all of my old parts from the 25 chassis and converted for next to nothing. My tranny was fine and diffs were fine but I just wanted new. Here is the bonus though, I sell my 25 roller for a few bucks and I can't complain. Then I sell my k4.6 for a few bucks and buy a couple gallons of fuel.

Oh and about why waste money on a custom body.... I'll tell you why. If you arent re using old paint you had and want a decent looking body you will spend around 50-60 for the body and supplies. Spend an extra 10-20 and get one done by a pro because if you mess yours up in the process you lose more $ and you most likely bash topless anyway. Besides when buying $500.00 toy trucks why get cheap with the body?

Danny
Well said. You got some things cheaper and some things more expensive than I did, so I guess it evened out. There are quite a few miscellaneous items that would have added some more change to that. I will post a thread once I am close to being done with my purchasing...

*I noticed that those prices did not include shipping, which in that way, yes it is MUCH cheaper, but shipping owns. lol

If I were to be building a shelf queen, then yes, I would spend money on a body, but everything/anything will get scratched/scuffed up with a monster truck that is used for bashing. I thought about converting my entire power plant area into silver anodized to make it stand out very nicely, BUT that would be expensive, I would have scratched/bent some already, and the silver would look like crap after a few runs from the dirtiness

I just want my truck to be tough and keep going and if a little show comes along with a mod, then that's an added bonus. To each his own though.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:03 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

ORIGINAL: ArancioC5

TVP XL chassis = 15.00
engine mount= 3.99
engine plate=3.99
xl dogbones=5.50
new diffs=40.00
screws=7.50
SF-2 servo = 6.00
new battery box = 3.99
xl turnbuckles = 1.99
Ofna fuel tank = free
Big Joes=40.00
k 4.6 -free

Danny
Well said. You got some things cheaper and some things more expensive than I did, so I guess it evened out. There are quite a few miscellaneous items that would have added some more change to that. I will post a thread once I am close to being done with my purchasing...

*I noticed that those prices did not include shipping, which in that way, yes it is MUCH cheaper, but shipping owns. lol

If I were to be building a shelf queen, then yes, I would spend money on a body, but everything/anything will get scratched/scuffed up with a monster truck that is used for bashing. I thought about converting my entire power plant area into silver anodized to make it stand out very nicely, BUT that would be expensive, I would have scratched/bent some already, and the silver would look like crap after a few runs from the dirtiness

I just want my truck to be tough and keep going and if a little show comes along with a mod, then that's an added bonus. To each his own though.

yeah +1 on the body thing mines just a clear GT2 and it's pretty beat up, and it has some color from scraches and dirt so it still looks like a truck...

the lug
Old 11-13-2008, 07:09 AM
ArancioC5

Project street force...

I did'nt include shipping cost because i bought from the same 2 sellers and got deep discounts because they each had $10.50 USD shipping caps on all items besides the big ones. So Actually I believe my shipping was less then what I see quoted for the RTR XL's by about $10 bucks because I did not mention the cost of shipping for that eigther.

I could have got better deals to be honest if I waited out longer and also alot of the bids all ended at the same time so it's impossible to snipe on 8 items when they all end in 20 seconds. I can't ***** though, just think if I walked into a LHS and really wanted an XL without internet knowledge I would have been ass raped for $650-700.00 bucks. Infact being locked in a cage with a gorilla in its sexual prime would describe the rear end violation if I bought "store retail" so .......all is good

You know what kills me....tonight I let a set of 4 muggy shocks go for 22 bucks because I was holding out for hellfire ones...... WHAT A ***** I am right? I am so pissed at myself for that one. Oh well, I have time for another set
Old 11-13-2008, 10:54 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

I ask the sellers to give me a deeper shipping discount once I buy multiple items since I've purchased form them before and I can't get everything in one auction period...and I sure as hell can't/don't want to wait for parts to pile up and then get shipped because what fun would that be? They make too much profit on shipping if you ask me [:@]
Old 11-14-2008, 04:47 AM
ArancioC5

yes they do, but that is their strategy. That is why they part new models in the first place. I just cant wait untill im 100% finished and dont have to do the ebay fiasco anymore
Old 11-14-2008, 08:16 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

+1