Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Gyro's....

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:44 AM
legine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyro's....

Hey guys, my other rc hobby is helicopters and i had a spare gyro sitting around so i put it in my savy......Its a simple rate gyro, nothing fancy.

Has anyone else tried this?......if so, how did it go?

Thanks, Daniel
Old 01-21-2009, 07:09 AM
eivgro

Default RE: Gyro's....

What is a gyro, and what good will it do in a car?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:50 AM
yaris

I think its a kind of free wheel that rotate at high speed to keep the heli stable, like if you take a bicycle wheel and make it turn in your hand it will be harder to move, I think he want to keep his truck more stable, in theory it should work but I'm not sure if it will have any signifiant effects
Old 01-21-2009, 07:53 AM
legine

a gyro is use to control the tail of a heli....it senses side to side movement and adjusts the position of the servo to keep the gyro from moving......think of it like this, if wind pushes the tail of a heli to the left, the gyro will sense that movement and change the servo position which in turn changes the angle of the tail blades which fights the wind to keep the tail straight.
Putting one in a car will instead of adjusting tail blades adjust the steering, for example, if your on a slippery surface ie. gravel, dirt and you hit the throttle and give no steering input the car will probably slide around like its on ice, the gyro will adjust the steering for you to keep it in a straight line.....I heard of some ppl with baja5b's having trouble keeping their car straight under acceleration so they put a gyro on and that solved their problem, they also said it was much nicer around corners and really easy to drift.....they just liked driving the car much more. This was on a helicopter forum with an "Anything RC" section where this was posted, then more people spoke about how they tried a gyro and it worked great. I just wanted to see if i could get anymore feedback here.

Thanks, Daniel
Old 01-21-2009, 10:19 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

So it's just a little electronic sensor type of thing that you connect in between the servo and the receiver?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:25 AM
wingedwheel-0420
Banned

wow,sound pretty cool .post a vid if you do that.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Sugafree

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=igGA2GV69fo
Old 01-21-2009, 11:25 AM
dakamat

Want one for my Ofna DM-1 1/7 scale on road nitro[X(]
Old 01-21-2009, 12:28 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

Isn't that only for electrics?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:47 PM
dakamat

No, this thing drive the stering servo. And i've seen somes guys put it on a Baja SS
Old 01-21-2009, 03:52 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

aha, gotcha. How reliable is the thing?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:03 PM
legine

The d-box is 100% a gyro.....its a re-branded futaba G190, its very similar to the one i put on my truck, just better quality........might do some testing today but only on tarmac just to get the gain set properly but the gyro wont do much on the tarmac, will have to wait until sunday till i can get some off-road run times to see how it goes.
I have mounted it on the bottom of the throttle/brake servo with double-sided foam tape so you cant tell that its there......i just hope it stays there.

Thanks, Daniel
Old 01-21-2009, 10:18 PM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does it hook up to the steering servo?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:33 PM
legine

its very simple, as the video demonstrates (thanks Sugafree) you plug the steering servo into the gyro and plug the gyro into the receiver where the steering servo was initiailly plugged in....its as simple as that. Then all you have to do is adjust the gain.....too much gain and the wheels will shake around like crazy, too little and it wont really do anything...the aim is to get as much gain as possible without having too much.
The annoying thing about the servo im using (its a cheap dodgy one) is when i turn it on the car has to stand perfectly still for 16 seconds for the gyro to initialize (get its bearings).....better gyro's like the D-box only take a few seconds, if not less. Oh and for all gyro's.....when it turns on the car needs to be flat, not on its side or on a steep slope etc.

Thanks, Daniel
Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 PM
legine

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

aha, gotcha. How reliable is the thing?
Gyro's are generally reliable, it all depends on how much your willing to pay....gyro's can range from $20 to like $400.....mines worth about $25
I dont know how it will cope with the extreme conditions of being on a monster truck though.
You get what you pay for, expensive ones will perform extremely well whilst cheaper ones not as good, on helicopters cheap gyro's will not keep the tail very straight. but as for cars, the gyro will have an easier job than being on a heli so i dont think there would be a need for really expensive ones.

Thanks, Daniel
Old 01-21-2009, 10:46 PM
MadManAndrew

theres already a pretty [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8368848/tm.htm]drawn out thread[/link] about this...

I'm gonna get one when I build my race Savage, from what i'v heard from guys at the track, they work pretty well...

P.S. For some idiots out there, not naming names, you could not put a giro on your throttle servo, things like going up hill and hitiiing bumps would make the throttle decrease...also, if you floored it and it didn't go straight up, the gyro would freak thinking something has gone wrong...
Old 01-21-2009, 11:26 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

hmm interesting.

MMA-post a thread regarding details and feelings towards the DBox once you get it installed.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:02 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: MadManAndrew

theres already a pretty [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8368848/tm.htm]drawn out thread[/link] about this...

I'm gonna get one when I build my race Savage, from what i'v heard from guys at the track, they work pretty well...

P.S. For some idiots out there, not naming names, you could not put a giro on your throttle servo, things like going up hill and hitiiing bumps would make the throttle decrease...also, if you floored it and it didn't go straight up, the gyro would freak thinking something has gone wrong...
Actually it could theoretically make you a super pro at landing on all 4s every time.

No need to be calling people idiots just because they're trying to comprehend something that they've never heard of...
Old 01-22-2009, 12:55 AM
legine

Thanks for the thread link.

Thanks, Daniel