Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

os 30 VG ES

Old 02-15-2009, 08:28 PM
nonyabiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os 30 VG ES

I was wondering if anyone has anything good or bad to say about the OS 30 VG ES engine?
Old 02-15-2009, 08:44 PM
twomanytoys

Default RE: os 30 VG ES

You dont want the os 30 vg engine. Its very underpowered, overpriced and it wont last long. There are alot of 28 sized engines that will kill teh vg engine.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:46 PM
nonyabiz

Thanks thats why i asked i was wondering why i couldnt find any info on here about them
Old 02-16-2009, 02:02 AM
Fastsavage

I have had an OS 30VG for years with no trouble - This forum is very bias again them for some reason, everyone is entitled to their opinion but don't just listen to the opinions of those on this forum.

Cheers
Old 02-16-2009, 07:05 AM
Argess

I like mine. So far, no troubles. But I've only got about 2 gallons through it, so a little early to tell about longevity.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:12 AM
BudBud

I had one, started nice, easy to tune, made great low end power, idled really nice..... did not have much top end power though. I really am kind of an odd duck and like the wailing engines. Looking back, I wish I had tried some different pipes or a taller gear ratio maybe. At any rate, I had a guy see it run, wanted it, and I sold it to him hot off my truck, literally, brought it in and pulled the engine right there at the lot. Wanted to catch him while he was in the buying mood. OS builds some killer stuff, I have several OS engines and prior to the 30 was never disappointed. Like I said, I may not have given it a fair shake either. Glen
Old 02-16-2009, 12:26 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I do not like the fact they use ABL piston and sleeve! I stick to the proven and long life ABC! Some get good service out of them and others do not. If ABL is so good how come OS does not use it on there high end engines and why do other manufacturers not use it? For the most part I like OS engines but not there VG series do to the ABL. I not only race Savages but all so buggies and many have had the same experience with the VG 21 which all so has ABL. With ABL they use nickle just like they use to with the ABN which is know for its short life. There are a lot better engines out there for the money.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Argess

I finally got a "real" pipe for my 30VG. THS pipe. Fixed up the top end very nice, though it's still not a screamer like many engines.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:53 PM
nonyabiz

ORIGINAL: 46u

I do not like the fact they use ABL piston and sleeve! I stick to the proven and long life ABC! Some get good service out of them and others do not. If ABL is so good how come OS does not use it on there high end engines and why do other manufacturers not use it? For the most part I like OS engines but not there VG series do to the ABL. I not only race Savages but all so buggies and many have had the same experience with the VG 21 which all so has ABL. With ABL they use nickle just like they use to with the ABN which is know for its short life. There are a lot better engines out there for the money.

Sorry you lost me with ABL and ABC please explain

I am kind of still up in the air about what i want too do either but a new engine for my savage along with a bunch of other things or buy a truggie. I am thinking i am going too buy a truggie for speed and just have the savage for straight up bashing
Old 02-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Sugafree

Theres a Lot of Better/more Powerful Engines out there..... for less Money
Old 02-16-2009, 10:17 PM
nonyabiz

ORIGINAL: Sugafree

Theres a Lot of Better/more Powerful Engines out there..... for less Money

Yea i know i just hear that os stuff is just sick i was shopping around and was wondering why i really have not seen anything on here about that engine
Old 02-16-2009, 10:19 PM
jsflagstad

I have the 30 VG in my Savage and I have been happy with it. It felt like my backyard got smaller when I installed that engine.

The only issue I am having is the rotostart seems to be slipping. Is there a replacement consumable clutch on that mechanism or does a guy have to buy the whole assembly?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:41 AM
-SomeGuy-

My buddy has the 30vg and it really rips. If I dont get him off the snap then I cant close the gap. We both run the same gearing and pipe so that doesnt explain it, maybe my tune was off and his was perfect, I dunno. His break in was easy and he has had little to no trouble with it. The only bad thing I could say about it is the same as 46u and that is the ABL rather than the ABC, I just dont get why OS went with that when they are known for their quality.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Argess

jsflagstad: My OS OWB fell apart shortly after I got the engine. IT was slipping, and when I went to clean it, needles fell out. I replaced it with an HPI type (or OFNA type), or whatever....the ones made in Germany, and no troubles now.

nonyabiz: ABC = chrome plated cylinder ABN = nickel plated cylinder ABL = bimetalic plated cylinder. This last one is an OS exclusive. Most people think it just a marekting ploy to disguise the fact that it is a nickel plated cylinder. Nickel is supposedly softer than chrome and won't last as long. Personaly, I don't know what OS uses for their ABL engines, but I do agree....there other (more expensive) engines are ABC
Old 02-17-2009, 09:15 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: nonyabiz

ORIGINAL: 46u

Sorry you lost me with ABL and ABC please explain

I am kind of still up in the air about what i want too do either but a new engine for my savage along with a bunch of other things or buy a truggie. I am thinking i am going too buy a truggie for speed and just have the savage for straight up bashing
ABL Aluminum piston, brass sleeve, layered nickel plated. ABC Aluminum piston, brass sleeve, chrome plated. Do a search and see what most car truck engines are. They used ABN Aluminum piston, brass sleeve nickel plate quite a bit years ago but was not very durable. OS claims ABL is very good but if this is so how come they do not use it on there high end engines? Is it really better or just cheaper.

PS if you go to OS web site it states with ABL they use nickel. [X(]

With ABL it is a toss of the coin. Some get decent service and others do not. For what the VG cost you can get a MUCH more reliable engine and much stronger. With ABC it is proven and 99% of all engine manufacturers use it. Or least the high end engines.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:30 AM
46u

Cut and past off OS web site.

ABL
Advanced Bimetallic Liner. Specialized form of ABN. Instead of a single-step, single-material plating, the ABL Plating process is based on a layered approach made possible by two OS-developed hard-nickel alloys. The first alloy is used as the bottom (bonding) layer, to fusel the top layer to the brass liner. The second alloy, developed for superior hardness, forms the top layer. Together, they create a barrier that protects the liner against excessive heat and wear.

One good thing the VG series has a 2 year warranty and I know of many that have sent in there engines 4 or 5 times with in that period. [X(]
Old 02-17-2009, 09:13 PM
nonyabiz

Thanks guys I am going too get a truggie and keep the same engine but thanks for explaining the difference in engines
Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Fastsavage

I have had an OS 30VG for years with no trouble - This forum is very bias again them for some reason, everyone is entitled to their opinion but don't just listen to the opinions of those on this forum.

Cheers
Many are biased, yes, but not against OS, OS makes great engines that even we Savage users will swear our lives by. If I could mount the .28 JX with a roto start back-plate, I would definitely put one of those on my Savage.

The reason why so many of us do not like the VG engines (.30VG and .21VG) is beacuse OS really skipped on the timing profile, the chrome sleeve, the knife-edge con-rod, and several other things that other cheaper engines have that spank it. The lack of a good timing profile kills it []
They are okay on low RPM torque, more torque than most .28 big blocks, but at mid to high RPM ranges, they fall flat on their faces.

Additionally, the VG engines are expensive. Yes, you are paying for the OS quality (materials, gauranteed good production, etc.) but unfortunately, all those quality bonuses are wasted because the VG engines run like turds in high RPMs. For a similar price, a Picco .28 engine can be had. And it will run circles around the VGs at mif to higher RPMs.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:28 PM
jsflagstad

So with this 2 year warranty on the VG, would my one way bearing be covered???
Old 02-17-2009, 10:59 PM
SAVAGEJIM

It should, call OS and ask.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:15 AM
Fastsavage

Thanks for your knowledge - sounds like a very good explanation. Since I have only had the standard Savage engine and the OS 30VG I can't really compare. The OS 30VG has suited my bashing around but when it is in need of replacement maybe I'll choose another brand and then will be able to be bias one way or the other.

Cheers

Old 02-21-2009, 08:42 AM
fabrimacator21

[8D] delete.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:27 AM
BudBud

I think they all use plated brass sleeves, nickel alloy plating or chrome plating. It is far different than the nickel alloy castings you are talking about.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:55 AM
fabrimacator21

Your right there... I screwed up and assumed that it wasn't just a plating but an alloy that was machined from a billet or cast. Looks like I need to ninja edit.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:05 AM
BudBud

LOL!! If you can keep all the mechanical ins and outs of big and little engines, you are way ahead of me! I should change my handle to naturally confused...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.