Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

How to fix stripped plastic screw holes?

Old 02-28-2009, 06:55 PM
IvanG
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix stripped plastic screw holes?

How to fix stripped plastic screw holes?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Montana Mike

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How to fix stripped plastic screw holes?

I have put a few drops of CA glue on a tooth pick and rubbed the toothpick on the inside of the stripped hole. wait a few hours and do it again.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:04 PM
DaveG55

I usually shave a small length of plastic about the size of a tooth pick and superglue it into the hole. Others have filled the hole with stuff like JB Weld and redrilled the holes after it dries. Still others just apply superglue to the screw, tighten it as much as possible (works best if the hole is not completely stripped out) and let it dry in place.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:05 PM
stussman

Use slightly larger screws
Old 02-28-2009, 08:02 PM
IvanG

I did the larger screw, but it only worked one time. And now they are stripped again
Old 02-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Sugafree

Plastic parts are Cheap.......Swap them out with New ones......(Then Try not to Over tighten the Screws that go into Plastic next time)
Old 02-28-2009, 08:30 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: IvanG

I did the larger screw, but it only worked one time. And now they are stripped again
All have a myriad of fixes for refurbishing the scre hole in the plastic. These are okay, but they are alot of the times not like the original. The best remedy I have hear is to simply replace the piece altogether.

If you must insist on keeping the piece, if room ermits, you can dispense with the wood-like screws (like the Z569) and go with a nut and bolt instead. Just put the bolt in and screw in the nut behind it, loc tite that, and as the Frecnh say, voila!
Old 02-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Savage_mt2_Attack

Put a length of zip tie in the hole and then just tighten the screw is as you normally would. I have done this on multiple holes, in fact 3 out of the 4 lower transmission mount holes are fixed by this on my truck
Old 02-28-2009, 10:04 PM
IvanG

hah thats the kind of fix i was looking for, on the fly! thank you !
Old 11-05-2013, 12:02 PM
turtleator

Originally Posted by Savage_mt2_Attack
Put a length of zip tie in the hole and then just tighten the screw is as you normally would. I have done this on multiple holes, in fact 3 out of the 4 lower transmission mount holes are fixed by this on my truck
I have no idea what this site is all about but I found this via google and registered just to reply to this post. I have a pool valve with stripped screw holes from a too heavy valve actuator that are causing a leak. To "Replace the plastic part" would be a huge undertaking given the location and the configuration of the PVC plumbing. I have searched high and low for a simple solution that would work in this difficult environment and then I saw this. I had just cut a zip tie that was holding excess control line to my valve so everything that I needed for this fix was already staring me in the face, and so far, it works like a champ! THANKS!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:20 PM
helicub81

DUDEEEEEE thank you so much for this tip; i was about to fill the holes with JB weld and redrill them but this was sooooo much easier.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:03 AM
pcarluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used to save the plastic "tree's" from the parts that came in kits. If you stripped a hole, you'd cut a length of the tree off, drill a bigger hole, glue or epoxy it in, drill new screw hole. It worked very well because you were using the same plastic the part was made from.
The following users liked this post:
muscleflex (09-10-2023)
Old 06-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Team GxG

Originally Posted by pcarluvr
We used to save the plastic "tree's" from the parts that came in kits. If you stripped a hole, you'd cut a length of the tree off, drill a bigger hole, glue or epoxy it in, drill new screw hole. It worked very well because you were using the same plastic the part was made from.
Huh. I like that.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:33 PM
Igpajo

Dude, Thanks so much for the idea. Solved my problem. I actually found this post searching for a way to fix some stripped out holes in a freezer door handle. Would have cost me $50-75 for a new handle if I could find one in stock. A few cable tie clippings in the hole held fast, at least for now. Again...thanks!
Old 09-03-2019, 07:03 AM
FrozenPlasma

Thumbs up

Put a length of zip tie in the hole and then just tighten the screw is as you normally would. I have done this on multiple holes, in fact 3 out of the 4 lower transmission mount holes are fixed by this on my truck :)
I’ve been trying to figure out a solution all weekend. Savage, this worked perfectly! Thank you so much!!
Old 09-05-2019, 06:18 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

A drop or two of CA glue on the screw and seating the screw works pretty well too. Wait a day or two before snugging the screw the rest of the way.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:41 PM
stevens4x

Fast way, like I do on airplanes. For plastic squirt denatured alcohol first and try to clean. Then scratch up inside with xacto knife or something. Couple drops of CA. Squirt kicker in and thread screw in then out. Repeat 5 or 10 times real quick.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:34 PM
-SomeGuy-

The zip tie trick is the only one you need in a pinch. Works on pretty much anything.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:30 AM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

From all the methods I've seen mentioned here, the screw hole problem should be successfully fixed many times over, but just in case there is still a craving for another way to do it...
Fill the screw hole with baking soda, add a drop of thin CA to saturate the powder and you're instantly ready to drill a new pilot hole for the screw.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:46 AM
Brandy2424

Originally Posted by turtleator
I have no idea what this site is all about but I found this via google and registered just to reply to this post. I have a pool valve with stripped screw holes from a too heavy valve actuator that are causing a leak. To "Replace the plastic part" would be a huge undertaking given the location and the configuration of the PVC plumbing. I have searched high and low for a simple solution that would work in this difficult environment and then I saw this. I had just cut a zip tie that was holding excess control line to my valve so everything that I needed for this fix was already staring me in the face, and so far, it works like a champ! THANKS!
I had to replace a Hayward Multiport valve assembly with handle for the top of my Hayward Sand filter on my pool. It was basically the cheapest way to get a new gasket replacement since it was already glued to the entire assembly. To reattach this assembly, of which you may be familiar, was to screw 6 screws back into the main portion of the top of the sand filter. The very last screw I put back, I found the hole was stripped. I tried different screws in the same hole and nothing worked. In the process of picking the old part back up, a piece of black plastic fell out of that original hole. This told me the hole had been stripped out at the factory and reinforced with this piece of plastic, as I had never had this part off of the Hayward sand filter. Since this is a part of the pool equipment where a lot air pressure is involved, will the idea of the "zip tie" work to reinforce that one hole and still create the proper air pressure that I will need to operate the pool filter efficiently? I had hunted everywhere for a slightly larger machine screw, but could never find one. This fix appeals to me if I can still maintain the proper air pressure that is required to operate the pool without leaks. Counting on your opinion as an experienced pool owner and one who has used the zip tie fix....LOL.....Thanks!

Last edited by Brandy2424; 06-21-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:54 PM
Basx

I was going to use heat shrink on the screw but im going to do this instead. Thx
Old 06-29-2022, 06:23 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

You can put a drop of CA glue on the screw too. With the glue wet, screw the screw in close to where it would be tight and let set overnight. Lightly tighten the screw the next day and you should be good.