Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

What did you do to your Savage today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:51 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What did you do to your Savage today?

Barry, make sure you put a screw in that hole that goes through the chassis plate to the transmission case.

Missing screws from that region can cause unwanted flex in the case and cause destruction of SGs and CBs...especially pricey since you have that steel spur
Old 04-13-2009, 09:26 PM
whipnet

I re-added my Blue Groove sway bars after putting the FLM TVP's on the other day.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:33 PM
bigwaltc

Man Brother how much money do you have in that thing? [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 04-13-2009, 10:04 PM
whipnet

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. Sorry kids, no college for you. JK

Old 04-14-2009, 08:42 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So last night, I devoted 3.5 precious hours to giving this truck a quick update and tune up. The front end got a new XL bulkhead with a new diff, the truck got new wheel bearings all around, the brakes had all the spacers taken out and they no longer bind, the OWB was cleaned an degreased. Someone here said spraying WD40 on the OWB stops it from slipping, well I did that and 4 tanks later it was slipping. I'm not sure if it was a bad tip, or if its from the Traxxas Power plus formula- I'll see tomorrow. Here are some pics, I have some questions about the X bulkheads though...

Broken parts:

My wrists new best friend- courtesy of my good uncle back in Poland:

My STS .30 after 2/3rds a gallon of Traxxas power plus:

** Question: Should the upper most holes on the shock tower mounts be empty?

** Question: Should the 2 front skidplate screw holes be empty?

Rebuilt and conditioned:

Tom.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:28 PM
BudBud

They should have screws in them.

I stubbed my toe on my Savage when I went out to check the mail, it is feeling a little rejected since my DM1 came in!

Glen
Old 04-17-2009, 04:25 PM
sharkattack99

well i finally got the parts for mine put them in and DAMN i love that 3 speed tranny, but i can't seem to hear it shift to 3rd or im just not counting right, but i ran it fro about a half hour and wouldn't you know it my glow plug died son of a gun. now i have to order a new glow plug. its always something.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:53 PM
rcnitrohead

Glen, you mean both the skid and the upper holes on the towers should have screws in them? I tried and there are no threads, or my screws from the 25 are not long enough[:@].

Not to mention my SS brakes died on me yesterday with less than a gallon on them
Old 04-17-2009, 06:01 PM
sharkattack99

i believe just the skid plate the two that are missing i do believe are the bottom screws of the diff housing.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:07 PM
rcnitrohead

Ok then, I'll re-check that tonight, thanks.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:52 AM
tizer33

The screws that go in your holes are real long prob 1"- 1 1/4" long.
They are specific to the X diff case.
Hope it helps
Tim.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:25 AM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: sharkattack99

well i finally got the parts for mine put them in and DAMN i love that 3 speed tranny, but i can't seem to hear it shift to 3rd or im just not counting right, but i ran it fro about a half hour and wouldn't you know it my glow plug died son of a gun. now i have to order a new glow plug. its always something.
What is probably happening is that it is either shifting 1-3 or very early from 1-2. They work off of a pawl that applies more pressure as the rpm increases on a small spring. When the pawl over powers the spring, it engages a dog on the gear.

Well looky there.... speaking of the little devil... anyway, that screw that we adjust just changes the amount of pressure or rpm that the pawl has to overcome to engage the next gear. If the 1st shift is high and the second one is low, it will shift to 2nd, then immediately to third. If the 1st shift is too low, it engages so early, you do not hear the shift. This actually is not an all bad situation, depending upon your powerhouse, as it still gives you that low gear launch, yet it does not brutalize the tires quite so harshly through first gear. Glen
Old 04-18-2009, 08:39 AM
rcnitrohead

Thats what I was thinking tizer33, thanks a lot! I'll probably just run the truck without the screws for now (well I already have lol), well I need to get a screw lot off of ebay anyway.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:35 PM
tjnitro

I finally fixed my steering servo problem and got my first session of bashing in today. It was great. My neighbors came out to watch and one of them went and found some boards and a box to jump the truck off of. Man, can that thing take a licking! I lost count of how many times it ended up upside down. I let one of my neighbors drive and he promptly attempted to take out my wife's legs and another neighbor's car. I can't wait to clean it up and go back out again.

All in all, I'm very impressed with the quality of the Savage 25 SS. Unfortunately, it just makes me want to get another truck or dump a ton more money into this one.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:47 PM
sharkattack99

ORIGINAL: BudBud

ORIGINAL: sharkattack99

What is probably happening is that it is either shifting 1-3 or very early from 1-2. They work off of a pawl that applies more pressure as the rpm increases on a small spring. When the pawl over powers the spring, it engages a dog on the gear.

Well looky there.... speaking of the little devil... anyway, that screw that we adjust just changes the amount of pressure or rpm that the pawl has to overcome to engage the next gear. If the 1st shift is high and the second one is low, it will shift to 2nd, then immediately to third. If the 1st shift is too low, it engages so early, you do not hear the shift. This actually is not an all bad situation, depending upon your powerhouse, as it still gives you that low gear launch, yet it does not brutalize the tires quite so harshly through first gear. Glen

well yeah thats possible cause i do start it far away from me so i may not be able to hear it shift, there factory set so i will just leave it be for now.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:00 PM
sxviper698

made my own set of swaybars today. used coat hanger material for mockup, will find a better way of mounting them, and different type of material. they seem to work with this mild steel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77667.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1182880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99785.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1182881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25381.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1182882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56170.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1182883  
Old 04-21-2009, 04:19 PM
BudBud

I ordered two Futaba R603FS rxs and a Futaba BLS451 servo for my XL and one of my Mugens. I took out a three speed I have been stealing parts off of and replaced it with a two speed, moved my new Clocked Picco 28 over to that chassis as I cannot keep it tires down in the X. I replaced a broken fuel tank on the XL with the Clocked 5.9 in it. Dug around in the salvage yard and found an axle spacer and a wheel nut for the XL that I robbed the parts off of to keep my 5.9 truck running. Charged up four hump packs, we are hoping to go run three trucks Thursday night. I will take a spare XL and maybe a Mugen along to replace any broken trucks. I stole a couple of orings out of bent shocks in the drum and fixed a leaky shock. I put new brakes on two of them... guess that is about it, unless I forgot something..... [8D]
Old 04-21-2009, 08:48 PM
tylerqew

I ran THE FIRST tank through my XL today. In all, I'm impressed so far.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:57 PM
whipnet

ORIGINAL: tylerqew

I ran THE FIRST tank through my XL today. In all, I'm impressed so far.
Just wait until it's broken in. I hated waiting... running all crappy... lol

Old 04-21-2009, 09:03 PM
tylerqew

Exactly lol... I'm so excited to get it broken in! I've got a whole quart to go before I'm done breaking it in, then it's back to yard-mowing for more fuel.. I'm so impressed with the truck and I haven't even started to actually run it. It handles smooth and is very torque-ey. It's so unlike the Tmaxx I had. I truly love this XL So far, that is.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:52 PM
hwrd442

Put a vertigo locker in my 4.6 rtr today. That thing is crazy. Replaced the flywheel, clutchbell bearings, clutch shoes. I lost all the screws out of my hpi steel spur gear, gotta get new ones. Taking the 4.6 rtr and the 25ss with a 5.9 bashing this coming sunday. Trying to get the wife to get her savage 25 out of the closet. Got to go show the brother-in-law why he needs to get his 4.6 rtr broke in and going. Hell he's had it for a month now. He does have a losi muggy witch is pretty sweet when he don't run in to trees with it.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Parputt537

Ran three more heat cycle tanks threw my new RB Mods LRP Spec. 3. Crazy engine.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:57 PM
SAVAGEBANE

As I type, I am hunched down in my cubicle at work...secretly reassembling my 4.6 motor. I have been bringing it to work for the past week waiting for a pressure spring and starting pin to be delivered. this F 4.6 only has 2 1/2 gallons tops on it, and I am already on my 3rd pressure spring/starting pin. the first 2 got lost and its my own fault, stupid stuff. Anyway, i wanna hear my Savage run this weekend, I havent driven it since the new year[&o] and I need to brush up on things before my picco gets here.
i wish i worked an 8hr day close to home, I would be doing stuff to my savage everyday.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:03 AM
barrydidntknow

What did I do to my Savage today? Nothing. I have the 5.9 with a busted piston that I am shipping tomorrow, my shock towers, steering linkage upgrade are to arrive friday, my 086 pipe I no longer need but backordered long ago arrived today but I have no where to put it. Gosh I cant wait for my Picco from supertib. I couldn't have run the Savvy if it worked anyway cause I had t work, but not having it available sucks. On a good note I did win a factory fresh hyper 9 off ebay for 360.00 shipped on sunday but when I payed with paypal it had my old address. Luckily I talked to the seller today and was able to re route the car to my new address. That should arrive early next week. Now all I gotta do is sell my nitro 4-tech and my slightly in need of parts inferno mp7.5 to make up for the cash I spent on the hyper 9. I would have rebuilt the inferno but the cost to get it to race level is just too much and maybe impossible. Somebody out there wants a project. Maybe I will get a present from the brown santa on friday with both my new parts and my new engine. Then it will be breakin and install day saturday and bash day sunday. Will pray to the rc gods tonight.[&o]
Old 04-23-2009, 04:42 AM
Jem93

Well i just figured out how to put my clutch on me XSS lol! those instructions suck!!![:@]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.