Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

LRP Engines - Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:37 PM
mjs4p

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LRP Engines - Any thoughts?

I'm thinking about an LRP ZR.30 Spec.2 which I think is supposed to be released in the next 2 weeks. I've had nothing but trouble with my K4.6 since I built my X SS kit, and I'm thinking about this as a replacement (given the user-friendliness of LRP engines). A few questions for anyone who may know (or have educated guesses or an LRP 28 since the 30 it isn't out yet):

1. Will it fit in a Savage X SS ok, or would I be better with a .28?

2. What glow plugs do people run in their LRP engines (.28s)?

3. Can I run the HPI aluminum tuned pipe and header (from the X SS kit) with an LRP, or do I need something else? If something else, what do you recommend?

Is there anything else I would need to get it up and running?

Thanks in advance. I've been struggling with my K4.6 engine for a few months now and just want to get something in there where once I get it broken in and tuned I can let it rip and not worry about it too terribly much. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:40 AM
mjs4p

Default RE: LRP Engines - Any thoughts?

Anyone run an LRP in a Savage that could at least let me know what you think of the engine and what pipe and glow plugs you run? Thanks.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:29 PM
yoster

I hate to be so blunt, but there are COUNTLESS threads on this board that involves people with savages using LRP engines in their Savages.

The answer is "Yes" and "It's a very good choice."
Old 03-20-2009, 05:09 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

the ofna 053 pipe or the losi ht pipe is what most people like with that engine. it will make your k4.6 look like a traxxas engine[sm=lol.gif]

(traxxas engines are good for their size, but imagine one in a savage. it would be slooooow)

the LRP is very user friendly and people rarely have problems with it.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:07 PM
mjs4p

Thanks for the response scarlet. As for the other comment about countless threads, I apologize for rehashing an old topic, which was not my intent. I have likely read most of those posts, hence the knowledge that LRP engines are so dependable. The reason for a new post was more to see if anyone knew anything about the new LRP .30, and to ask about pipes, glow plugs, etc. I view these forums as conversational and informative, and enjoy them for that reason (hence why I check them basically everyday). If someone feels like my posts are wasting your time, just don't respond, and I'm sorry if my post bothered anyone.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:30 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the guys jumped on you a bit quickly there. Usually these threads do become very repetitive, but in your case you are referring to the LRP .30. I don't even think anyone here has one yet- but don't take my word for it.

Tom.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:20 PM
yoster

Admittedly, I only read the universal reference to "LRP Engines" in the subject line and your second post in this thread.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Brent Davis

BUT IMO, if you have to spend the money anyways, why not get the tried and true Picco P3 UNLESS you just wanna be different and not follow the crowd sorta speak?

The Picco for what I have seen and witnessed is the absolute best bang for the buck engine out there PERIOD when it comes to Monster truck engines. I have heard great things about the OS .28 XZ as well lately but it will cost you another $100 over a Picco P3 for the same power gains.

Good luck on your choice even if you get a LRP .30 because I am sure it is a good running engine too.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:37 AM
mjs4p

Having read a bunch of the threads, I know all the reasons I should just buy a Picco .28. I think the main reason I'm torn is b/c I've had so many problems with my K4.6 that I don't want another engine that may have air leak or other related issues. It sounds like the most recent Piccos seem to have this issue less, and I now know how to seal it if necessary though. That said, I've heard how easy to handle LRP engines are, and I figured maybe the .30 would approach the power of the Picco .28. Who knows....I'm still on the fence!
Old 03-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Brent Davis

well to be honest man, the Picco IS NOT that hard of an issue what-so-ever after you seal the carb. It took me all of about 15 minutes to seal mine and never had a problem from the start since the engine was new. I'd get off that fence and into the Picco line if I were you. Seriously, there's a TON of guys here that would be willing to help you with your Picco or even your LRP for that matter if you needed it. I wouldn't hesitate one bit to just get the Picco and enjoy an animal out of the box and watch out for some serious oats if you put it in the hands of supertib(Neal). He is the man when it comes to modding these engines and knows the induction timings and sleeve timing profiles that is needed to get the RPM's up and make lots of power.

Again, good luck with your choice and keep us posted.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:15 AM
supertib

well I am sure the LRP 30 is a nice engine, however it is still made in Taiwan..the Picco is made in Italy...look at the sleeve design and its very easy to see the Picco is a more advanced design...chances are the Picco is still going to be the stronger engine. however with that being said I am still eager to try my hand on a LRP 30....
Old 03-21-2009, 09:53 AM
BudBud

I am as Picco 28 as they come, but I am going to buy an LRP 30. I had two LRP 28s and they were really nice engines, they did not have the power and rpm that I was used to and I never ran them much after putting a couple of gallons through them... I sold one in an XL truck and one outright. I think this LRP or Nosram 30 has the most promise for a new engine owner of anything that has been introduced for some time. I really do not expect it to outrun a stock Picco 28, but I want to know for sure. The only way to know is to buy one and try it! If I do not like it, I will give the engine and an XL to my son and he can run it at college next year. [8D] I expect that it will be a trouble free and easy engine to tune, I just hope they did nothing silly like OS did with their 30. Glen
Old 03-21-2009, 11:24 AM
mjs4p

Yeah, I may just be patient and see what people think of the LRP .30 before I do anything, and then decide between that and a Picco. I'd still like to get my K4.6 working right, even if I know I'll ultimately replace it. It's become a battle for pride at this point! As for the Picco, if sealing the carb is all it needs, I feel pretty confident I can handle that after sealing the carb, the backplate, and now dealing with front bearing issues on my K4.6! Anything has to be better than what I have!
Old 03-21-2009, 05:10 PM
twomanytoys

There are some videos of the lrp 30 on youtube that make the lrp look sick! I think its going to be a monster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfZY8YcP898
Old 03-21-2009, 06:44 PM
fabrimacator21

Hard to tell unitl we see it in a monster though.