Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Rant - Sorry :/

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:34 PM
bzinfinity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rant - Sorry :/

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: usmc_VTOL_mech

BZinfinity
Thanks for the heads up.
I have never bought or sold anything on Ebay or dealt in any way, shape or form with paypal
Now I have another reason not to have anything to do with them
I have bought several hundreds of USD worth of RC stuff from ebay in the past, before this $100 cap limit thingy. Then, this past x-mas, I tried to buy a some hop-ups and they had the gall to tell me that I cannot purchase or pay until I get verified!!!!! The qucikest way for me to gte verified is to sign up for a PayPal credit card with rather outrageous intrest. (I will never use that damn card, I will actually cancel it now since I have not used it since I got it in the mail).

I no longer buy anything from fleabay or ever pay with PayPal anymore. I would much rather pay the extra $20 to like A-main, Tower, or any other repuatable place that directly takes credit card.

BTW, Semper Fi!
If Craigslist in Atlanta had a bigger RC market I would have no need for Ebay.

But I also hate that with Craigslist, people seem to think that the price you put out there is an arbitrary number that is completely negotiable.

I will most likely use the marketplace on RCU from now on to sell RC stuff, or try to do it through local swap meets.

Paypal is treating me like I'm some fly by night operation. I've been an Ebay and PayPal member since the inception of both companies. Never had a negative transaction, but I've only sold/bought like 71 things in the history of my account, so I'm "High Risk."

I'm closing both my accounts, in the future if I am forced to use Ebay, I will have my friend who is a PowerSeller handle my listings so the money can be received instantly.

And for the record - it's been 5 days since delivery of one item, and nothing. Tracking Number info was entered to PayPal the day it shipped.

I still stand by my earlier statement. If the chargeback comes and the buyer keeps the item, I'll be on the plane.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:14 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone notice the new thing they've implemented? In order to buy a shipping label through paypal you need to have a positive account balance AND a credit card. What about for the people like me who don't own a credit card. Never have, Never will. I do everything cash. I have a checking and savings account and that's it. I like the fact that money talks. I'm just about ready to wash my hands of all this too. Just started my accounts 4 months ago and holy cow is this a pain. I've made this far in life without PayPal or Ebay I'm sure I can manage the rest of my life without the stress from my money being held for 3 weeks too.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:49 PM
SAVAGEJIM

You my friend are one of the smart one, not owning a credit card I mean. That is part of what is wrong with our scociety and also part of the reason why our economy is in the dumps (credit being thrown out left and right and all). I therefore aplaud you for saving before buying. And honestly, if more of us had this discipline, we would not have problems like we run into buying on-line, and Ebay also seems to perpetuate this now because Ebay and PayPal just about REQUIRE a credit card to keep the account going.
This sucks, because if I wanted to pay with credit card, I would simply skip the damn PayPal and buy with CC directly.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:08 PM
HJJFFFAA

I was told you couldn't NOT have a credit card. That you NEED credit. If not then all the better because I want nothing to do with CC's. But I suppose buying from the interwebs would be hard without one.[sm=confused_smile.gif]
Old 03-28-2009, 06:10 PM
SAVAGEJIM

That is true; but I guess going with a prepaid CC and refilling it as you have money is a possible solution. Or so long as you are financially disciplined, using a check card. (Just remember, just like in a bounced check, a check card spend over the limit has fees to penalize you).
Old 03-28-2009, 10:23 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

...people need credit cards to build credit...what, are you going to put money down on a house and just get credit without actually having ANY history of credit? Credit cards aren't the reason the economy is where it's at...the dumb****s using them are.

Don't spend more than you can afford.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:30 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put my T-maxx up for sale on ebay, hopefully I don't get ripped in some way...
Old 03-29-2009, 12:05 AM
SAVAGEJIM

And that is what is terrible about our buy buy buy consumer society. A credit rating is paramount to buy a car or home. Terrible really.

If one must build credit and also fullfill the need of having a credit card, I say it is best to have a beginner credit card with a limit of only a few hundred dollars. And as you go along, pay it off in its entirity each month to get a few FICO score points each time.

The credit saavy can get multiple credit cards (like 5 or 6) and carry very small balances on them, like only $25-50 on each one, and pay them all off diligently. (This is the tactic I used to build my credit, and I got into the mid 700s score by doing this).

The very very hard part is to absolutely resist the urge to spend. Our damn society is always trying to make you spend, and I hate to say it, this buy buy buy and credit mentality is a major part of the reason why we are here (and also why Paypal and fleabay are doing this). Paypal I know got me to get verified to remove the $100 block by sigining up for their CC, but I will show them that I am not a spender like the masses of America, I will spend only on what I deem is necessary or what is possible for me to buy entertainmentwise, which happens to be RCs.
And as I said earlier, I will not use this damn Paypal card, they really pushed me to get this card to remove the $100 block. They will not get a dime from me. This card is going to be cancelled without me ever using it at all.
They can push theyr buy buy buy and consume consume consume crap on me, but I am not falling for the $100 block guise.

Sorry for the rant I was on too, but I am sick of being spammed in real life (as well as slectronically) to constantly be buying, even buying beyond my means. We are bombarded everyday to buy, to get credit, etc, and PayPal pushing their CC as a means to remove the $100 block is one such spam.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:11 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

So many thing Pay Pal is so good. First I recommend you read the user agreement word for word! Then do a search on the net with all the negative sites about Pay Pal and read them. Do you know that Pay Pal can back charge your bank account and freeze the founds for up to 6 months and when they give you your money back you get no interest. This is just a small part of what you agree to when using Pay Pal. The problem is most do not care as it is just so easy to use pay pal until it happens to them.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:05 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

That is true; but I guess going with a prepaid CC and refilling it as you have money is a possible solution. Or so long as you are financially disciplined, using a check card. (Just remember, just like in a bounced check, a check card spend over the limit has fees to penalize you).
Since mods are too lazy to entirely fulfill their duties by editing, they just decided to delete my post. I'm assuming that was a response to my post. You can disregard your entire post except for "Or so long as you are financially disciplined..." because everything else goes right back to that statement.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:13 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

And that is what is terrible about our buy buy buy consumer society. A credit rating is paramount to buy a car or home. Terrible really.

If one must build credit and also fullfill the need of having a credit card, I say it is best to have a beginner credit card with a limit of only a few hundred dollars. And as you go along, pay it off in its entirity each month to get a few FICO score points each time.

The credit saavy can get multiple credit cards (like 5 or 6) and carry very small balances on them, like only $25-50 on each one, and pay them all off diligently. (This is the tactic I used to build my credit, and I got into the mid 700s score by doing this).

The very very hard part is to absolutely resist the urge to spend. Our damn society is always trying to make you spend, and I hate to say it, this buy buy buy and credit mentality is a major part of the reason why we are here (and also why Paypal and fleabay are doing this). Paypal I know got me to get verified to remove the $100 block by sigining up for their CC, but I will show them that I am not a spender like the masses of America, I will spend only on what I deem is necessary or what is possible for me to buy entertainmentwise, which happens to be RCs.
And as I said earlier, I will not use this damn Paypal card, they really pushed me to get this card to remove the $100 block. They will not get a dime from me. This card is going to be cancelled without me ever using it at all.
They can push theyr buy buy buy and consume consume consume crap on me, but I am not falling for the $100 block guise.

Sorry for the rant I was on too, but I am sick of being spammed in real life (as well as slectronically) to constantly be buying, even buying beyond my means. We are bombarded everyday to buy, to get credit, etc, and PayPal pushing their CC as a means to remove the $100 block is one such spam.
This is true. My parents helped me open my first bank account when I was 14 IIRC. It included checks and a debit card, which I barely ever used the checks and only used the debit card for sneaky online purchases that I didn't want my parents knowing about, i.e. airsoft guns . My first real credit card was a BP VISA that had great returns and a starting limit of $500. Today, this is still the card that I primarily use and have two others that I have, just to have. These three credit cards, and full payments each month, helped me get the close to 700 credit score at only 19 years of age.

Everything comes down to your original statement of "financially disciplined." MANY people that I know are baffled at how I have what I have, but they don't understand the fundamentals of financial intelligence, nor do they have any. One friend purchased loads of parts for his 1:1 scale car and put it all on credit cards that had about 25% interest rates...and he never paid them off in full, so he got ummmm *insert word that mods would delete."

Wait, this is an RC forum, not Economics 101
Old 03-29-2009, 12:31 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Well, I agree that this is an RC forum and not a home economics course. But RCs are an expensive hobby, and if you are not financially disciplined, you can literally spend yourself under the table. New RCs and hopups come out all the time, and the temptation to buy buy buy the newest and latest stuff is really strong.

In my personal point of view, I really consider RCs and spending discipline linked issues. One can spend himself into tens of thousands od USD in dept just by buying RCs and RC gear. And unfortunately, financial discipline is not a topic that is addressed anywhere in RCs. One must be smart enough to hold of on the latest gear and actually wait for the next or subsequent generation of improvement to get the best bang for the buck spent on RCs.

So, lets say a Savage XL 2.0 were to come out tomorrow, but you already have the original Savage XL. It would be better to not buy the XL 2.0, but instead upgrade your plain XL with the 2.0 parts as they become available. Now if a completely new generation of Savage came cout that revolutionizes Savages, say a Savage "Y," then would be a better time to buy that for the innovations that Y would have over X. The XL 2.0 would be best advertised to someone who does not yet have a Savage but wants one. Or lets say someone has like the very first Savage X F4.1 and wants the latest Savage. Again, the XL 2.0 would not be a bad upgrade. The thing is to use you head to either get the latest which is not that much more of an improvement now or save your money to buy the much better improved next generation.

Now, tying this all back to PayPal and them pushing their CC to remove the $100 block: This is the same tactic: They want you to upgrade your account membership, much in a similar manner of my example. EXCEPT PayPal is making the upgrade MANDATORY, and they really pushed me to get their CC to remove that block. They are doing this because the normal American consumer will use the card simply because it is there. I am an exception to this, as I have the financial self discipline not to use it, and since I see PayPal's ploy on counting on me to be like most other American consumer, I will defy them in cancelling this card!

Credit credit credit, spend spend spend, all this push to push is into cosumption by spamming to us everywhere we go (on the 'puter, TV ads, bill boards on the side of the roads, etc.) actually make me mad. And it is not just Fleabay & Paypal doing this, ALL financial institutions are doing the same. I am only focusing on PayPal because this thread is about PayPal and their $100 block (and their ploy of getting you to get a CC to remove it). But this by no means that other financial insitutions are doing the same thing or similar things to us everywhere else outside of RCs.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:32 PM
dgz69er

Hey man I feel your pain. I recently decided to get into onroad, so I sold my mugen mbx5t for 500 on ebay, and it took two weeks for me to get my money. You have a third option to getting your money through paypal. Upload your shipping info to them, and they will release the money 3 days after the confirmation number shows it was received. I still haven't received feedback from the item I sold and Its been over a month. I will not be using paypal again.