Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Best Tires To Bash

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 05:57 PM
smeyers2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Tires To Bash

Hi All !!!

I have a few Savages..

The one I use for high and long jumps has the Savage XL tires.... I picked those because of the high profile sidewall which I thought would give more cushioning for the landings. Bad for handling at high speeds, but good for landings from the heavens.

On the Flux, which is mainly used for high speed runs I have HPI Goliath's installed. I figured the low profile would give the truck more stability at high speeds. However not too much cushioning from high jumps.

Well, after today, I am second guessing myself. Here's why... While the XL's tires do seem to give a lot of cushioning, the truck seems to bounce alot upon landing. Sometimes, what seems a good landing ends up bad, as the truck bounces around and then goes out of control. Today I did some jumps with the Flux (Goliaths). The truck would land... one good hit, and that was it.. no uncontrolable bouncing around.

So if seems my thoughts about which tire may be best for landing big jumps seems shakey at best.

I would be interested with your thoughts !!!

Thanks.... Happy Easter, And Have A Nice Night ! Steve
Old 04-12-2009, 06:23 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Best Tires To Bash

What kind of oil/springs are you running in the XL? You may be running to thick of oil in it if it bounces excessively.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:06 PM
smeyers2

It's not an XL... It's the regular Savage 4.6 with the big ol XL tires on it. (Sorry for the confusion). I'm running 30 wt oil and the black springs.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:08 PM
ArancioC5

your shocks are more into play of landing then your tires, you cant compare 8 shocks to 2
Old 04-12-2009, 07:25 PM
smeyers2

ORIGINAL: ArancioC5

your shocks are more into play of landing then your tires, you cant compare 8 shocks to 2
Good Point... Just for kicks I'll put the Goliath's on the Nitro Savage and see what happens....
That way we will eliminate something from the equation.
Thanks for the info....
Old 04-12-2009, 07:54 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

Oh, well the XL wheels/tires are considerably bigger than the X4.6 wheels/tires, so with the X chassis braces, the XL wheels/tires are like big floats...don't know how else to describe it. The size of the wheels/tires makes the chassis unstable. Upgrade to XL length and it will definitely help out.

Also, try using some 20wt oil in the shocks. I use that in both my bashers and it works great in my X4.6 with orange/red springs.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:24 PM
smeyers2

OK, WOW... I did a post on what weight oil to run a few weeks/months ago... thought I had picked a good weight... some guys were running 40, 50 even 60... so I thought 30 was a safe bet. If it needs 20.. I'll change the fluid again !!!! I'll also put the stock tires back on it. As far as using the XL chassis.. I think I'll stick with the stock X chassis.

Thanks for your thoughts... Have A Nice Evening !

Steve
Old 04-12-2009, 08:53 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I think thicker shock oil would be best for hard landings.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:17 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

I think thicker shock oil would be best for hard landings.
How? Maybe I'm misunderstanding "thicker" by THICKER as in a lot thicker. I would prefer a little bounce in my landing so that everything has some play to it instead of landing "hard" per say.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:04 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I just think it sounds like the bounce is what is causing his problems. If it was stiffer, when it landed it would compress a little slower and instead of springing back up so fast and causing it to lose control, it would come up slower because of the thicker oil and not spring off the ground. Thats just my take on it.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:24 AM
thzero

The springs are the mechanism that absorbs impacts and returns the suspension to its original position. The shocks (this is a bad term and they really should be called dampers) control the rate in which the suspension moves and helps keep the spring from oscillating. Unfortunately we really can not adjust bump and rebound dampers separately; which are great for minor adjustments to corner in, mid-corner, and corner out to control the rate of the weight transfer.

As cummins driver said, thicker oil means the shock will not compress (or uncompress) as quickly. Too thick of oil and you'll end up with an overly damped supsension which seems to lead towards blowouts. Too thin of oil and you'll end up with excessive movement as the oil does not keep the spring from oscillating.

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

I just think it sounds like the bounce is what is causing his problems. If it was stiffer, when it landed it would compress a little slower and instead of springing back up so fast and causing it to lose control, it would come up slower because of the thicker oil and not spring off the ground. Thats just my take on it.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:24 AM
BudBud

They will not stand very thick oil, instead of compressing, the shock shafts bow, then they really drive funny. I do not know how many times I came home with one corner stuck high or low from a bent or pait of bent shafts. Even with the light weight factory oil, they are easy to bend. I want to try a set of Bog Bores or Flux shocks, one of these days....
Old 04-13-2009, 10:16 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

Cliffs- 20wt to 30wt is ideal with stock springs
Old 04-13-2009, 01:34 PM
smeyers2

Well... One Thing Is For Sure...

I have learned quite a lot here. I think the best thing to do is to change one thing at a time. That being the case, I will do the easiest first.... I'm going to put the stock Savage X tires back on. I'll report back as soon as I go out for a few jumps.

Thanks Again !!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:01 PM
smeyers2

Just got back from the park.. did some small 5 - 6 ft jumps (only had the skateboard ramps). It did land better. I won't know for sure til the weekend when I'll take the 1 hour drive to the racetrack where they have a big mound of dirt in the parking lot. That's where everyone does the 15 footers. That will be the final test. We shall see. Later!
Old 04-13-2009, 06:18 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you bleed the shocks right and don't overfill them, you can run 40wt silicone without a problem....I did with my old nitro Savage. They're a little stiff, but still doable if you need some serious dampening.[8D]
Old 04-13-2009, 09:12 PM
whipnet

I love bashing with my Goliaths. Never bounces.. Just a little heavy.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:14 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How tall are those Goliaths?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:50 PM
burnchassis3

I found it best for me to run 20 wt oil ,and have several sets (like 15) of springs.
With the springs alone,you can change your landing.
The shocks will go bad with to heavy of oil in them...leave the oil,and play with the springs.
CS
Old 04-14-2009, 07:46 PM
BadMammaJammas

I have been using the same tires on my savage for about 4 years now.. They are the stock savage tires and they have never given me any problems.. IMO I dont think tires will really do anything when it comes to bashing just my .2 cents