Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

SH .28 VS STS 28 VS Hobao Mach 28

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:33 PM
crowdie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SH .28 VS STS 28 VS Hobao Mach 28

I'm finally fed up with my 21 engine in my savage, and crave more power. My birthday is coming up, and I am leaning towards gettign an engine. I played with the idea of getting one off ebay used, but then I'm only picking up somebody else's problems. My price cap is probably around £100, the SH .28, STS 28 and Hobao Mach 28 fit into this price range, and are all bigger than the 21... but would they have a noticeable power increase? I love the Hobao mach 21... so that leans me to the 28, but in a post I've made before (search isn't working for me)and people have said its outdated. I'm not looking for an over powered engine, just one that wont crush the transmition on my original 21 but will give me wheelies and back flips (enough power to enjoy)Another option is the mach 427, but is this considerably better? I'm not even sure if I'm looking at the right price, but its at the top of my range and made by dynamite???

Any advice welcome, but budget can't stretch
Thanks

Edit:After watching videos of the STS 28, it looks like you get some serious bang for your buck, you get nice power, wheelies and backflips... everything a MT needs, but are there down sides? Ihope not because this is an affordable engine

Old 05-23-2009, 05:48 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: SH .28 VS STS 28 VS Hobao Mach 28

At the moment I think it's safe to say the Hobao Mach 28 has about the worst reputation of any 28 currently available.. I would take that one right off your list.

I personally have heard way too many horror stories about STS quality, so that I anyway, would not consider one.. Mega-powerhouses by all accounts, but hit and miss with the quality... If you're really experienced and can deal with rebuilding and re-sealing and all that kind of thing, then OK maybe go for it...

I run mostly Mach 427's - I have two active, one new one as a backup, and also run a Sportwerks 26(Mach twin..) - also have a new SWwith closed backplate waiting to go in my truggy.. I.e. I have five SH 26's.. - and the three with fuel through them all SHRED and have made me very happy... These are awesome engines (bashing or racing, buggy, truggy, or MT...)- dead easy to break in and tune, reliable, long lasting, good fuel consumption, nice good power.., etc.. PERFECT (non - XL) Savage engine - again, IMO... It's not a massive torque monster that will have you constantly flipping over.. But geared 16/47 you'll be quick to say the least, and be able to wheelie at will... ANDmake life easier on your drivetrain...

I also have an LRP 28, and totally dig it... An LRP Spec 3 is basically the Mach's big brother.. The same backplates work on them, etc.. The LRP just has more b.alls on the bottom end.. Sucks down a lot more fuel too...

The LRP and Mach are both SH engines.. So from your list I would take the SH 28(I assume you mean the 3-port, which I hear goes cheaply in England... The LRP Spec 3 is a 6-port I think.. The 3-port is also good I hear though...) I n general all the SH engines are decent...

Get an LRP Spec 3 or Nosram 28 if you can.. If not, Mach 427. If not that, SH 28 3-port....
Old 05-23-2009, 06:12 PM
BudBud

It does not happen very often, butI totally agree with Herr Savage on this one! Glen
Old 05-23-2009, 11:14 PM
sv250

Too lazy to do the conversion, but Hobby People has the XTM457 for $130 US. Thats the SH 6 port. I see the SH 3 ports on ebay all the time for $99 US or less. The LRP Spec3 is an 8 port. Well they list it as such. Transfer ports and such.

Anyway of the options you listed, I agree the SH is the best option. I had one for years till I just wore it out. Easy to tune and good power with reliability. STS engine are a crap shoot. People getting new ones with holes in the block, missing screws etc. Do the SH.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:30 AM
mogi

get the sh28, you can get the 6port(lrp spec 2) for £96 or the 8port(lrp spec 3) for about £105. i have the 6port in my losi raminator and it flies and is easy to tune/start. dont go anywhere near the hobao 28 they are junk imo. Hope this helps mate
Old 05-24-2009, 04:47 AM
crowdie

wow, thanks for the replies guys I'm really liking the sound of this SH 28. If I go 8 port it would be harder to tune right??? I would rather tune and leave for as long as possible if you get me, but i depends how much of a power increase there is between the 6 port and 8 port for only £10
What do you guys think of THIS?

Old 05-24-2009, 04:49 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The LRP Spec 3 is as easy to tune as it gets.  Definitely get it if you can (or any of the SH 8-ports - Nosram, etc...)
Old 05-24-2009, 04:58 AM
crowdie

ahh, I cant find an LRP spec 3 cheap enough, I'm not sure if that SH 28 I edited into my last post is 8 port? If it is then I think I'll be getting it well, I will probably get it even if it isn't.
Oh.... and what do you guys think of this? Its too good to be true? You think it would be badly made or something?

Old 05-24-2009, 05:13 AM
mogi

rc direct in england crowdie, they are showing none in stock but they get them quick enough. They also stock all parts for the sh engine range. I am running the 6port pullstart in my heavy losi raminator and it goes really well.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:19 AM
crowdie

thanks Ive decided to either get the 6 port or 8 port, depends how much money I have at the time... The clutch is going to need upgrading on my savage to a 3 shoe... will the normal HPI one fit? Any other upgrades you guys think are necessary?Ive recently changed my wheels, so the hexes are ok.. but when they go I will be replacing with 17mm.
Ive recently upgrading it to X spec... Ihave X spec chassis plates, with an x spec front diff.... I am hoping to do the rear diff soon and upgrade steering servo... I should have a nice up to date savage with this new engine Might need to go the transmition too... but I don't see any point until it breaks on me.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:49 AM
crowdie

Hey guys, what gearing should I run with the SH 28 engine? I bought a hardened vented clutch bell which cost a lot and wondered if I could keep it and change the spur? I cant remember what bell it was, but it went with a 52 tooth spur on a 21 engine if any body could hazard a guess?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:09 AM
BudBud

I think 16/52 is all you can run without chassis modifications. It could be anything down to a 13, that will not take long to count. Probably the best thing to do is buy a plastic 47T spur gear and run it. That will tell you if you want more speed without much expense. An LRP 28 on a 16/47 gear should be brutal, unless you choke it with big tires or a bad pipe. If you have thehigh speed three speed, your truck will still rip on top end. With a two speed, you are probably going to want a bigger bell, say18/47. Glen
Old 05-28-2009, 06:33 AM
crowdie

Thanks, I think I have the 14 tooth clutch bell, I will double check today when I'm out bashing.
I'm running 2 speed with stock savage 21 wheels and tires... at the moment my pipe is that horrible non aluminum one (not sure of correct name - composite or something), I am doing my best to find a good aluminum one on eBay
You think 14/47 would be alright for running in? That way Ican see if I need to up the bell (which Iprobably will, but this is a big dent in my pocket so I like to spread it out Makes it seem like less )
Ohh... And can Iclarify.. this SH 28 pro is an LRP?
Thanks

Old 05-28-2009, 07:11 AM
s5bubz

get a schumacher x28 its a picco 28 with a different cooling head and u can get em for about £110-£120 where a picco p3 is about £160 trust me this engine is what u want
Old 05-28-2009, 07:41 AM
crowdie

thanks for input, Ive decided on the SH for reliability and tuning etc, with picco's you have to seal - I don't want to be faffing around I can get the SH pretty cheap too (£70) which leaves me room to buy an exhaust and gearing
Old 05-31-2009, 05:39 AM
crowdie

Just wondered... I recently bought optimix fuel, and it was said that it was packed with synthetic oil - would it be bad to run my SH in on this fuel? I dont plan on heat cycle... because I don't know anything about it and how to do it :P
Old 06-05-2009, 03:18 PM
crowdie

Do you guys think anything is wrong with this? Its pretty cheap... but I'm not too certain about the engine quality? Maybe its not the 8 port?? If anybody could give some advice that would be great
Old 06-05-2009, 03:26 PM
BudBud

That is their base three port engine, at 28,000 it is not a high rpm screamer, but I would imagine it will push a Savage around with some authority, until it just runs out of breath. Should be decenttorque and little rpm for a 28. I think you would be much happier with a Mach 427, Nosram 28, LRP 28, SportWerks 26 etc... Glen
Old 06-05-2009, 03:38 PM
crowdie

ORIGINAL: mogi

get the sh28, you can get the 6port(lrp spec 2) for £96 or the 8port(lrp spec 3) for about £105.
Would this be correct? (8 port being LRP) ?guess I wont get that one from hong kong then.... I might just get the LRPfor the extra money if I can find somehwere that sells it reasonably cheap.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:56 PM
crowdie

So - Ive taken all of your advice and have decided I am going to get an LRP spec 3
Losi parts house has the cheapest one.. but it says it is 6 port rather than 8... when I look at another on amain it says 8 port, but its more expensive... amain dosent advertise it as associated either.. is this port difference true or a mistake? Thanks #'[

Losipartshouse
Amain

Edit:
Rcplanet advertises it as 8 port under associated?

Old 06-06-2009, 02:20 PM
BudBud

They are all the same, just be sure to get the pull start version. Some people take the liberty of counting exhaust and relief ports, when all they should be countin are the intake or boost ports. Glen
Old 06-06-2009, 04:01 PM
crowdie

I emailed losi parts house and have just received a reply... They said it was a mistake on their part and they have corrected it. I will probably by the LRP from them then, delivery time will be longish because its from america... but its a lot cheaper than in britain Any thing I should know about this engine? I suppose I diddnt take into consideratino any effects it will have on my original 21 transmition, 14 mill wheel hubs and standard rear diff...
Old 06-06-2009, 04:17 PM
BudBud

If you have the stock wheels, you may round out the hexes with the added power, I had a lot of trouble with that and my Piccos. The 14mm X wheels are much stronger and will take the abuse, I personally like the early tires better though. The transmission will be fine, you may want to pick up a set of X differentials for the aluminum cup and four gear differential, I would just wait until the current ones broke before swapping though. I keep spares all the time. Glen