Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

lrp 28 pull-start finally snapped

Old 07-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Doctp1885

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lrp 28 pull-start finally snapped

Well, I was gonna do a quick run today and I got everything primed and ready to go...One quick pull and SNAP! the string went right into the hole. I then went online to find a replacement and every where is out of stock. I even went to associated site and they are out.

Question: what is a good alternative to the lrp 28 pull-start? Everywhere expected in stock is late jul - early aug. Since I lost only a 1/2inch of string, I'm gonna attempt the impossible and try to put the string back on the handle and waiting several weeks for a pull-start is gonna be excrutiating since I run the Savage almost on a daily basis.

Thom
Old 07-13-2009, 11:19 PM
TAKZILLA

Default RE: lrp 28 pull-start finally snapped

Same here got home in time to burn a tank before dark,for a change.about half a tank ,nice cart wheel died before I got there,one pull on the PICCO,snap.I've been searching e-bay for just rope(I don't mind that part)every one has complete starters but do you think I can simply find some rope NOOO.I'd buy a whole spool if I could find some.
I have'nt found a complete pull start for the P-3 yet,going back to search!!!

Thom,if you only lost a 1/2" rewind it & burn nitro[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 07-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Parputt537

Best thing to do is rewind the pull start with mini blind string. I do this to all my pull starts and they usually last longer then the engine.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:04 AM
TAKZILLA

HEY that would be the right size [sm=idea.gif] now if I can find a mini blind to borrow from [sm=50_50.gif] THANX Doctp [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Savage_mt2_Attack

I advise you to NOT use mini blind cord... Been there done that, I probably rebuilt my axial pullstarter 10 times when using the stuff. It is strong at first, but as soon as it becomes soaked with oil and gunk, it's strength goes down the drain. Just retie the handle on the stock cord. Who cares if its an inch or two shorter.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:24 AM
TAKZILLA

thanx for the input,rewound the pull start on my SIRIO so many times ,not enough left to do it again.realy don't want to drop $45.00 on a starter for it.Doesn't any one just sell pull cord?By the foot maybe?
Old 07-14-2009, 02:37 AM
Parputt537

ORIGINAL: Savage_mt2_Attack

I advise you to NOT use mini blind cord... Been there done that, I probably rebuilt my axial pullstarter 10 times when using the stuff. It is strong at first, but as soon as it becomes soaked with oil and gunk, it's strength goes down the drain. Just retie the handle on the stock cord. Who cares if its an inch or two shorter.
Y'all much have really bad mini blinds up in Canada. I have been doing this for several years and have not had a single engine outlast the pullstart. I'm pretty sure the pullstart on my LRP .28 is at least two engines old.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Doctp1885

Yeah, I plain gave up on trying to wind the pullstart. been trying for 3 days and all I got out of it is cuts all over my finger. Will a thunder tiger pullstart be compatible? LRP28 pullstart is out of stock literally every where.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:01 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rewinding a pull start is really annoying, but not impossible by any means. Takzilla, I know for sure that Associated sells pull start cord by sections ( I have a spare roll) and there have to be other manufacturers out there with some extra cord.

Hmm, can't find the .21-.28 cord:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUP93&P=0

Found the one I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Associated-Repla...3286.m20.l1116

Maybe this would work... its much cheaper:

http://cgi.ebay.com/E-Flite-Nylon-St...3286.m20.l1116
Old 07-17-2009, 02:38 AM
TAKZILLA

rcnitrohead,thanx for the info.looks like the team associated for the big block may be the strongest,think i'll get that orderd. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Doctp,i'm not sure but since the LRP .28 is the same as the LOSI 454 or MACH 427,you should be able to use either the pull or pull spin start from one of those,they go pretty cheap on the E-bay,my last one was about $12.00

Sugafree would probly know for sure [sm=wink_smile.gif]
or
Herrsavage,some one that has a LRP will let you know for sure. (just an idea) [sm=idea.gif]