Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Out with Nirto In with Electric?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:49 PM
savycharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out with Nirto In with Electric?

Ok well i am thinking about selling my savage 4.6, and in place of that getting the flux. For all the flux guys out there is this worth it? I will be bashing it and how well can it get through grass? I know it get through it, but does it run the batteries dead quick? Because i will be ruuning it in the grass about 50% of the time. The other half i will be running on and off road.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 02:01 AM
savycharlie

Default RE: Out with Nirto In with Electric?

I also forgot to add if i run (2) 3s what should i get. I will get them from hobbycity but which do you prefer? I am kinda wanting to spend maybe $30 each? I know thats not a lot but could i get 2 decent one`s for that price? Also what is the first thing that you did to yours to be able to handle (2) 3s? i heard that people have had to upgrade their diffs? And also i have heard that the stock steering servo is junk. Is that true because aren`t the gears in it plastic? Sorry for all the questions but i just want to do this once and do it right!

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:12 AM
del1969

Keep the nitro, unless you have alot of money
I thought about doing the same thing, but I would miss the smell and sound.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:28 PM
savycharlie

Well i will be selling my nitro if i get the flux. Anymore input?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:32 PM
rotzilla

nobody likes a quitter charlie ....
Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 PM
savycharlie

Plus there are many reasons why i want to get an electric. First off all i have to do is charge the batteries and go play. With my x i have to charge the truck battery (thats because i haven`t ran it in a few weeks), then fuel it up. charge the glow igniter, and find my rotostart battery and charge that as well. As apposed to the flux i only have to charge my (2) 3s packs and im off. And most of the time my truck won`t start. That can either mean that it is out of tune, theres and air bubble in the line, or theres and air leak somehere ect. The point im trying to make is that i am tired of messing with nitro and also im tired of the mess it leaves for me after im done.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:43 PM
savycharlie

ORIGINAL: rotzilla

nobody likes a quitter charlie ....
Ya i know lol, i just don`t know . I am more of an electric guy myself. All my other trucks and cars i own are electric.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Druss

I've got a stock flux and will keep it that way until something actually breaks on it. From my way of thinking, and experience, I don't want to spend money based on someone elses experience because no two people drive their vehicles exactly the same. I may be a basher but I don't do 10' high jumps and other things I see on youtube.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:01 PM
savycharlie

If i end up getting one i will keep it stock as well. But i might put some shock covers on it, but thats it. I will not have the $$ after buying the batteries and the truck to upgrade. Even if i did, i wouldn`t. Are there any decent batteries on hobbycity that i can get for about $30 a piece? Thanks.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:20 PM
sharkattack99

well you might get some 2s there for that much but i don't think that you will get 3s's for that much but iv heard the zippys are pretty decent batteries for there price. don't forget the lipo charger as well.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:05 PM
SureToCrash

ORIGINAL: savycharlie

I also forgot to add if i run (2) 3s what should i get. I will get them from hobbycity but which do you prefer? I am kinda wanting to spend maybe $30 each? I know thats not a lot but could i get 2 decent one`s for that price? Also what is the first thing that you did to yours to be able to handle (2) 3s? i heard that people have had to upgrade their diffs? And also i have heard that the stock steering servo is junk. Is that true because aren`t the gears in it plastic? Sorry for all the questions but i just want to do this once and do it right!

Thanks in advance!
When it comes to batteries its really just going to be your preference or $ limitations. Cheap batteries can cause problems, but not always. I started running my flux on SMC 3s 3400 18c lipos and have not had a problem despite the "c" rating being 7c under the recomended 25c rating. I have had no problems for 8 or 9 runs with it. However a look at the forum threads will bring your attention to flux esc's starting on fire using MAXAMPS lipo's. So basically what im trying to say is the more $ spent the less likely a problem will happen, but many are using cheap china lipos and getting away with it so its up to you.

As for the flux diffs, there is no better diff that I am aware of. Infact I know many are upgrading their SavageX diffs to the flux diffs. The steering servo is crappy imo. Mine has been an issue since I opened the box and will be replaced soon. Just know that the flux is not a track racer, trying to turn a flux at high speeds is not advisable unless you like that kind of carnage.[sm=lol.gif]

Buy the castle link to program the esc if you plan to actually turn your flux. I can't comment on how 2s lipos perform but I know 3s is crazy at the stock esc settings. I mainly line my flux up straight infront of a large jump and let it fly. Some actual driving occurs now and then, getting lined up for another jump that is.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:44 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Here are a couple of videos of my Flux running on two 2s 5000mah lipos....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUEmGlXFfhM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRhgc5zjjBQ
Old 07-20-2009, 04:50 PM
SureToCrash

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Here are a couple of videos of my Flux running on two 2s 5000mah lipos....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUEmGlXFfhM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRhgc5zjjBQ
Nice vid, I dig the Baja body [sm=thumbup.gif]

I can tell its not a crazy as 3s or have you played with the castle link to make it a little more forgiving?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:56 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

It is just perfect on the 2s... If you go to the 3s lipos then you will end up breaking stuff.... So far on mine I have only broke a rear hub and that was only after numeous flips and cartwheels...
Old 07-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Druss

The flux on 2 3S lipos is crazy. I run it on 2S batteries most of the time as it's just not fun sometimes with 3S. I'm no Tim Taylor and while I like speed I'll confine my speed impulses to my on road touring cars.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:02 PM
SureToCrash

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

It is just perfect on the 2s... If you go to the 3s lipos then you will end up breaking stuff.... So far on mine I have only broke a rear hub and that was only after numeous flips and cartwheels...
The only thing I have broken soo far using 3s is the pin in the rear diff. It took out the drive cup and the gear it sits in. Repair cost $40. I'm surprized really as I have had this thing cartwheeling and flipping all over the place. Plus as a new Savage owner I'm all giddy over being able to get the rear diff out and in in about 10 mins. Getting the rear diff out of my old revo is a real pain in the butt.[:@]
Old 07-20-2009, 05:05 PM
SureToCrash

ORIGINAL: Druss

The flux on 2 3S lipos is crazy. I run it on 2S batteries most of the time as it's just not fun sometimes with 3S. I'm no Tim Taylor and while I like speed I'll confine my speed impulses to my on road touring cars.
I talked to a HPI rep when I bought my flux and he told me straight out the flux is meant to go in a straight line. He said its not a racer or even a MT really, more of a concept type package. Power plain and simple and boy is it fun.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:11 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell the nitro and get the Flux. You will not regret it. You will think it's the best decision you ever made after 5 seconds behind the "wheel" of it. It's that good and puts a nitro Savage to shame in all areas of performance. If you are smart about what lipos you buy, you can have your Flux ready to roll for less than a grand.

My initial total:

Flux-$630 3S 5000mah Zippy lipos-2 x $62=$124 Hyperion 606i charger and Zippy balance tab- $150

Grand total- $904. No BS, that's real dollars and real performance no nitro Savage can match. You will want to add $20 to that total for the Castlelink USB adapter....it's a must if you want to easily tune your ESC.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:14 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: sharkattack99

well you might get some 2s there for that much but i don't think that you will get 3s's for that much but iv heard the zippys are pretty decent batteries for there price. don't forget the lipo charger as well.
The Zippys are excellent batteries. I only run them and have had 0 issues and I own 10 3S packs now so if anybody was going to see a problem with them, it'd be me. lol
Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: savycharlie

If i end up getting one i will keep it stock as well. But i might put some shock covers on it, but thats it. I will not have the $$ after buying the batteries and the truck to upgrade. Even if i did, i wouldn`t. Are there any decent batteries on hobbycity that i can get for about $30 a piece? Thanks.
I'd suggest the 3S 30c 5000mah packs for $62 each. They have been proven to work very well in the Savage Flux. They are very good, reliable packs that will give your truck more than enough juice to do whatever you want it to do. You will need to solder on Deans connectors as Zippy has stopped putting them on the packs. If you go with 2S packs, get at least 30C to give you some "cushion" per se. You will need a lipo specific charger. I splurged and got a Hyperion 606 and love it-simply plug the packs in, hit the start button and 45min later the pack is ready to go without fear of hurting the battery or burning down my house.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:22 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: SureToCrash

ORIGINAL: Druss

I talked to a HPI rep when I bought my flux and he told me straight out the flux is meant to go in a straight line. He said its not a racer or even a MT really, more of a concept type package. Power plain and simple and boy is it fun.
You can turn it into a racer by running 2S packs and tuning the ESC with Castlelink. Some race specific tires, silicone in the diffs and shock tuning is all it takes to turn the Flux into a capable racer. Of all the Savages, the Flux is the most race capable of them all. lol
Old 07-23-2009, 04:36 AM
hydroboy
My Feedback: (1)

I'll agree with you about the RX pack being a pain, mine won't hold a charge for more than 2 days after one tank. But the roto? Dump that POS I swapped th a pull and have never been happier.

I've got a couple of electrics and its just not the same, and lets face it those battery boxes hanging off the sides are butt *** ugly!!
Old 07-23-2009, 07:14 AM
BudBud

I am a nitro diehard, but when Losi brings out their new truggy in an electric kit, I may be a sucker for the plug and play game. I wold like to have one that I do not have to worry about my dog getting serious burns from chasing it. He used to get close and bark, now he wants to bite at it and try to pick it up. The Losi buggy is reprted to be running close to 55 mph, in a truggy package, that would be awesome!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:14 AM
thzero

Um, no. The Flux is no better or worse than any of the X series of trucks for racing. I think SavageSam has demonstrated that to the extreme with both his X and Flux version of his slammed racer.

BudBud I have a MMM in a RC8Te (I have an XXXT, so wanted to try different brand in my truggy... 'sides, I still think its a shame neither Losi is part of Losi anymore) and even with two 2s 4800MaH packs its a blast so I imagine an 8ight-T 2.0 would be just as wild. Probably more controllable without monkeying with ESC settings than the Flux due to the center diff. Although in grass, especially deeper grass, you gotta be careful of the engine temps. Nitro seems to have less of an issue with this.

ORIGINAL: black mamba
Of all the Savages, the Flux is the most race capable of them all. lol
Old 07-24-2009, 07:52 AM
spoonrc

I just changed to the electric side ( don't kill me!) I still have a picco savage though! Between the two and all my experience so far I would say electric. The ease of sliding in 2x 3s packs connecting them and you are good to go for a sweet 40 or so mins. No runnin, pipes,plugs, starters,hump packs, throttle linkage, clutches, shoes and fuel. It's much more expensive but damn worth it in the end especially if you live in a quiet neigbourhood. The flux is just the savage x but electric. You will hve a blast. Much more then you have ever had on your previous savage. Especially on 6s. Just a blast....

I say sell, save and get some zippy lipos (they are excellent) a decent charger/balancer and go for it. You will never look back. Unless you love that nitro burning greasyness! I still love my nitro though!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.