Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Sparkyf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearings

I wanted to start a thread on bearing brands, and where you guys are ordering them. I'm only into this sport about 6 gallons now with my XL, but almost 99% of my differential problems and eaten pinions have been due to bearing failure. They were talking about it it the differential rebuild thread, but I didnt want to hijack it and turn it into a bearing thread. So lets hear it guys....what are the best brand of bearings, and where are you picking them up? Thanks, Mark
Old 07-30-2009, 12:38 AM
SLAYERDUDE

Default RE: Bearings

I just replaced my left rear diff brg yesterday with an HPI brg.
Also had one fall apart last gallon and take out a pinion gear.
My stockers on the XL lasted thru the winter - soaked with snow and salt from the road and 6 gallons of abuse.

A friend just had one go out and broke a pinion, he had less than two gallons on the truck...
Never saw water or salt.

I just picked up 6 Avid brgs and the dude at the DHS said they outlast any other by far.
Said he got like 6 more races (8 races) out of their clutch brgs VS. any other brg. (2 races)
Once I put them to the test I will report.
Might take a year or two but...

For a cheap set of brgs - http://kickassrc.com/index.php?main_...oducts_id=2318
Have not tried them yet but ***!
Old 07-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Parputt537

I get all my bearings from http://www.fullforcerc.com/products.htm He has kits which include an entire vehicle worth of bearings for packs of 10 of the most common bearings. I originally got the kit for my Savage X, but now just buy 10 packs of what I need. Great bearings for the price.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:44 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

Fullforce and Avid bearings are crap in terms of durability. I've tried all of the $1 bearings that claim to be as good as the ones that sell for much more, and none of them hold up in the axle application for more than a gallon or two. Violent cartwheels and harsh landings severely damage the poor quality steel, and the bearings become sloppy and rough quickly. I've never had this problem with HPI bearings. As much as the manufacturers will tell you otherwise, you get what you pay for, unless of course you find an eBay seller who is parting out a Savage kit and selling the bearings for cheap. I've found them for as low as $2/8 bearings, but that is rare.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:45 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

here's the thing with bearings, you need to pay attention to the ABEC number generally bearings are rated ABEC 1-5, where 1 is a low quality bearing and a 5 is the best... when replacing bearings I get ABEC 5s every time, if they are not available nothing less than an ABEC 3, and I do not mind paying the extra bit for a higher quality bearing cuz it will outlast the cheapos by leaps and bounds.... ABEC 5s are generally your swiss made, or ceramics, usually have thhe rubber seals, and are easy to pull apart and clean and re-lube. Lower ABECs are usually sealed and once they are trashed they are trashed.

all of that said, when it comes to the brand of bearings, each manufacturer usually produces more than one ABEC of bearing, so brand isn't as important as the rating per se... alot of bearing manufacturers that sell lower ABEC bearings won't give the ABEC number, but any descent brand of bearing usually has the ABEC number stamped on the side otr molded into the rubber seal...
Old 07-30-2009, 09:47 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

So Avid bearings=what rating?
Old 07-30-2009, 11:20 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

if you want the best i'd go boca or acer...
but your wallet will feel it especailly from acer

the lug
Old 07-31-2009, 09:15 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

Acer is the one that has the hotties in their advertisements, right?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:59 AM
thzero

Yeah...

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

Acer is the one that has the hotties in their advertisements, right?
Old 07-31-2009, 10:08 AM
jbooker82

I run Boca Green Seals. They are just a standard chrome steel races and chrome steel ball bearings. I would use ceramic bearings for the engine or clutch bell.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:39 AM
thzero

Where are you getting ABEC 5 bearings from? Most places selling RC bearings don't list their ABEC #, boca which is one of the few that does has mostly either ABEC #1 and some high end #7 bearings.

ORIGINAL: djzachtyler

here's the thing with bearings, you need to pay attention to the ABEC number generally bearings are rated ABEC 1-5, where 1 is a low quality bearing and a 5 is the best... when replacing bearings I get ABEC 5s every time, if they are not available nothing less than an ABEC 3, and I do not mind paying the extra bit for a higher quality bearing cuz it will outlast the cheapos by leaps and bounds.... ABEC 5s are generally your swiss made, or ceramics, usually have thhe rubber seals, and are easy to pull apart and clean and re-lube. Lower ABECs are usually sealed and once they are trashed they are trashed.

all of that said, when it comes to the brand of bearings, each manufacturer usually produces more than one ABEC of bearing, so brand isn't as important as the rating per se... alot of bearing manufacturers that sell lower ABEC bearings won't give the ABEC number, but any descent brand of bearing usually has the ABEC number stamped on the side otr molded into the rubber seal...
Old 07-31-2009, 02:58 PM
djzachtyler

ORIGINAL: thzero

Where are you getting ABEC 5 bearings from? Most places selling RC bearings don't list their ABEC #, boca which is one of the few that does has mostly either ABEC #1 and some high end #7 bearings.

ORIGINAL: djzachtyler

I usually find them locally, have several bearing shops in my area what with the hard drive manufacturers and all silicon valley has some advantages,only drawback is I have to have the bearing measurments and it can get time consuming... If I cannot find 5s locally I get mine from the ebay store "walawalastore" they sell good quality ABEC 3 bearings that have the rubber blue seals... and his prices are awesome... have had pretty good luck with those, and he ships fast as well...
Old 07-31-2009, 08:25 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

Link to his store? I can't seem to find it in the search on ebay.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:26 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Thanks for all the info guys.
I have a major brg supplier nearby and they can't even get most of my brg sizes. :S
Skateboard brg's always seem to have an abec# but not many RC brg's are abec rated....:S

Gonna check out walawala.
Thanks DJ......
Old 08-01-2009, 04:45 PM
djzachtyler

yo no problem, If anyone wants the link to that one place on fleabay, PM me, they won't let me post it on the forums, and I already was warned once about it, do not want to stir too much commotion...
Old 08-01-2009, 04:48 PM
spiftacu1ar

OH NICE!!! Someone else on this forum that live near me. I live in Palo Alto and work at Sunnyvale, maybe we should meet up some time. DO you know of any good bashing spots around here, i can't seem to find any
Old 08-01-2009, 04:55 PM
djzachtyler

ORIGINAL: spiftacu1ar

OH NICE!!! Someone else on this forum that live near me. I live in Palo Alto and work at Sunnyvale, maybe we should meet up some time. DO you know of any good bashing spots around here, i can't seem to find any
I'm down, I don't have a real car right now though, totaled it and my license is suspended... I'll PM you with my contact info...
Old 11-05-2009, 04:00 AM
rcguy82

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

So Avid bearings=what rating?
Both Boca.com and Avid.com = ABEC1.

Rc-Bearings.com = ABEC5, Minimum of ABEC3

Old 01-13-2010, 04:48 PM
rcguy82

I agree, I've been getting my bearings from Paul at Rc-Bearings.com.
Just call or email him the sizes or specs you need. If they don't have it he'll order it for you.