Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

I destroy my Savage, now what???

Old 08-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Rapidito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I destroy my Savage, now what???

Today I hit my Savage X very hard and I break many things. What replacement parts do you recomend for an upgrade? Here are some pics of my destruction

I know that the first thing that I need to replace is the driver , but for now do you recomend me to replace the TVP with the XL's?
What do you guys thing about this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-HPI-Savage-E...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 08-30-2009, 07:44 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: I destroy my Savage, now what???

Looks like to me your main problem is that you are using the aluminum arms. I know the look "bling" on there but there is no give in them. So when you landed wrong there was no area for it to flex except at the hinge pin. So I would go back to the stock arms first.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:51 PM
SLAYERDUDE

I'm not a fan of alum either.
If you don't have the stock arms and need to buy some I would just go with RPM.
http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...Parts.htm#arms
Old 08-30-2009, 08:10 PM
bigwaltc

^^^ +1 What they said [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 08-30-2009, 08:23 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

yeah i gotta say it looks like 90% of the cost could've been avoided with a little flex from the arms the stock ones are really flexy you can bend um by hand pretty easy and while its nice to get the shinyness of AL and the stiffness i must say i'd rater blow a $10 part then my tvps pin, pin braces, bulks and other things...

the lug
Old 08-30-2009, 08:34 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

Innovative-RC 7075-T6 hinge pin braces will keep your bulkhead together, though I would still recommend ditching the aluminum arms.

Innovative-RC TVPs are the strongest replacements you can buy.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:49 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Here's some beefy Ti pins.
http://www.lunsfordracing.com/mm5/me...gory_Code=HPIN

I noticed the link you gave was for really long TVP's, way longer than the XL.
If you are going to lengthen it might as well widen it too.
Here's a dicussion that has some info on that.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8931720/tm.htm

I might also be wary of that kit you posted, it does not come with a beefier engine plate, but comes with a skid plate.
Says "lifetime warranty" on bones but how long are they going to be around?
Just thought the link you posted might be questionable.
I myself would just go with some XL length tvp's and widen it.
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/100413/
Old 08-30-2009, 08:52 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

+1 on the RPM arms. They use superior nylon; they use high quality PolyCarbonate nylon and those will take so much more than the stock HPI plastic from Taiwan. Also, they are more robust than alum arms as well.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Freezetron

See kids, this is why you don't install Integy
Old 08-30-2009, 10:40 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

+1 on the RPM arms. They use superior nylon; they use high quality PolyCarbonate nylon and those will take so much more than the stock HPI plastic from Taiwan. Also, they are more robust than alum arms as well.
The original plastic from the Savage 21/25 was very similar to RPM's nylon, and darn near indestructible. However, I agree that the new X plastic is markedly inferior.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Rapidito

Thanks for your advised. For now I will go with the RPM purple control arms, the Innovative TVP looks great and very durable, but I think that I will go with the HPI XL conversion kit and save some money, but what about the front differential case?

Old 08-30-2009, 10:43 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i'd just get new plastic X style ones easest to get into and they'll be fine with out those arms...

the lug
Old 08-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Rapidito

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

i'd just get new plastic X style ones easest to get into and they'll be fine with out those arms...

the lug
does this differential for a X SS is the same as the X?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Savage-X-SS-Diff...d=p3286.c0.m14

I only need the case, but I only find the comple differential.

BTW, now that I want a XL TVP's what can I do to make it wider?
Old 08-31-2009, 12:08 AM
SLAYERDUDE

All savage diffs are the same sans/sin the old 25 I heard.
The one you list has the 4 gear so your good.
Like I said, read this thread.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8931720/tm.htm

HPI_Savage_RC Date 8/30/2009 10:40 PM
However, I agree that the new X plastic is markedly inferior.
My stock XL arms handled some insane abuse before I put an (1) RPM arm on the L/F lower after 6 gallons.
So I guess they still use some decent material.
It was cracked at the hinge pin for a gallon or so before it broke.
And I screwed it back together for another few runs.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:29 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: Rapidito
but what about the front differential case?
I would just get a replacement HPI diff case, and buy the 7075-T6 braces I linked to. The hinge pin braces must fail in order for the differential case to be torn apart, and the HPI units are not made from a very good aluminum alloy. The Innovative-RC braces would have likely prevented most of the damage cause by your crash.

My stock XL arms handled some insane abuse before I put an (1) RPM arm on the L/F lower after 6 gallons.
So I guess they still use some decent material.
It was cracked at the hinge pin for a gallon or so before it broke.
And I screwed it back together for another few runs.
The material is still quality, but it is somewhat more brittle and prone to failure. The new HPI arms will take quite a bit of abuse, just not as much as the original ones. RPM didn't even make Savage arms when the original pre-X platform was out, because the stock arms were so strong. If you e-mailed RPM inquiring about Savage arms, they would tell you that they have no plans to manufacture them, as the stock arms don't break enough to warrant producing replacements. They only began selling them about 6 months after the X came out. I have never damaged an original arm to the point of being unusable, and I tend to break a lot more parts than most people.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:53 AM
RickyIS300

Where did you order those alloy parts? Look like GPM one. I've been running the new XL parts from Integy and they have been indestructible.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:46 AM
rcnitrohead

^ lmao.... you will be the only one on RCU to claim Integy makes indestructible parts. I must say however that their rear turnbuckle eliminators are holding up to my abuse, very surprised..
Old 09-05-2009, 12:55 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead
I must say however that their rear turnbuckle eliminators are holding up to my abuse, very surprised..
I couldn't say the same for mine.[X(]
Old 09-05-2009, 01:17 PM
HJJFFFAA

My Mini-T's Integy turnbuckles are mediocre.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:05 PM
SLAYERDUDE

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

^ lmao.... you will be the only one on RCU to claim Integy makes indestructible parts.
Or any other forum for that matter.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:51 PM
rcnitrohead

I'll admit, they've taken some pretty hard hits on the rear corners from some a bunch of 15' landings. Maybe its cause all the screws on them are locked down with threadlock and they are running new bearings with less than 2 gallons on them. I just dont like them cause they give a different camber setting on the "stock" setting, very annoying to watch your rear tires wear differently than the fronts, though it does provide some more stability since the tires are angled inward at the rear.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:58 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

My Integy carriers didn't completely fail, but I managed to tweak one of them enough to significantly change the rear toe angle on that side. The part geometry is good, but the materials suck. I'm currently running a custom setup which uses 6061-T6 aluminum braces to tie the knuckles and c-hubs together. So far no problems, and they've taken some very harsh landings, including a couple 20ft drops onto one wheel.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:04 PM
HerrSavage

Wow, those TVP's sure got bent up..
Old 09-05-2009, 05:31 PM
supertib

Now that the Savage is wrecked buy a better platform ..Savages are hugely problematic and will always be a headache no matter what you do to them.... they are a great beginner truck, but there are so many better more reliable more capable machines out there..... I know the Savage has a rep for being durable and many current Savage owners are scared that other RC's wont be as durable but honestly that couldn't be further from the truth.... Once you start playing with other platforms you will quickly realize how unreliable and problematic a Savage really is.... I know I am going to be labeled a bad guy for saying this, but honestly there are much better bashers out there then a Savage, many of the other RC's are more durable, more reliable and honestly much more capable....... I am not saying to drop the Savage, but rather then spend a fortune beefing the truck up take the money and buy a roller of a different platform and give it a whirl..... It wont take you long to realize what I am saying is the truth and very sound advice.....I wont run a Savage because of its lack of durability and reliability, i do have fun with them, but with my style of bashing they are constantly falling apart which takes all the fun out of for me......As I say I am not trying to tell you to drop the Savage, but rather to give a few other platforms a try, you will be amazed how tough, reliable and capable some of the other machines really are....
Old 09-05-2009, 06:04 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: supertib

Now that the Savage is wrecked buy a better platform ..Savages are hugely problematic and will always be a headache no matter what you do to them.... they are a great beginner truck, but there are so many better more reliable more capable machines out there..... I know the Savage has a rep for being durable and many current Savage owners are scared that other RC's wont be as durable but honestly that couldn't be further from the truth.... Once you start playing with other platforms you will quickly realize how unreliable and problematic a Savage really is.... I know I am going to be labeled a bad guy for saying this, but honestly there are much better bashers out there then a Savage, many of the other RC's are more durable, more reliable and honestly much more capable....... I am not saying to drop the Savage, but rather then spend a fortune beefing the truck up take the money and buy a roller of a different platform and give it a whirl..... It wont take you long to realize what I am saying is the truth and very sound advice.....I wont run a Savage because of its lack of durability and reliability, i do have fun with them, but with my style of bashing they are constantly falling apart which takes all the fun out of for me......As I say I am not trying to tell you to drop the Savage, but rather to give a few other platforms a try, you will be amazed how tough, reliable and capable some of the other machines really are....
Oh boy, here we go again.

Before you get started on truggies, know that I have seen guys try to bash them as hard as I bash my Savage, and they almost always fare much worse. The Savage is a great platform for bashing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.