Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Damnit, the lipo battery industry needs better standards!

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Damnit, the lipo battery industry needs better standards!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 03:01 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Damnit, the lipo battery industry needs better standards!

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: black mamba
Buy some Zippys and find out for yourself. I have over 20 Zippy 3S packs and they will hang with packs that cost double, possibly triple what I have paid. That's no BS folks.
Such is the nature of the ''cheap'' construction thezero eluded to on the previous page. Zippy uses old and potentially damaged LiPo cells in the construction of their packs, but that doesn't mean they are all guaranteed to fail or underperform. It just means the chances are greater than you would expect with 'proper' battery manufacturers. 20 packs is not a decent sample size; there are many thousand Zippy packs in existence, and problems have been known to occur.

ORIGINAL: black mamba
Just because you run 6S doesn't mean automatic death for a Flux. There are goobers out there that yank the throttle back and just let the truck commit suicide. They're idiots. You have to pay attention to what you are doing, but for the most part, a little tuning with Castlelink will allow you to enjoy that 6S power with a bit more vehicle control and drivetrain reliability than an untuned ESC. The tuning you can do with a Flux is far greater and more precise than any tuning you can do to a nitro engine....and it's all done with the click of a mouse. lol
So in other words, driving around with extreme limitations on throttle use will help prevent drivetrain failure. Yeah, I think we all could have guessed that. Want to see what 6s with a significant amount of punch control programmed in will do when you drive like most Nitro guys do?

^Yes, those are CEN diffs...

These pictures are all from someone who I would consider much more experienced and knowledgeable than yourself. Simply put, 6s is too much for a Savage drivetrain.
Nice carnage pics. Looks like that "someone" needs to detune the ESC or learn how to let off the throttle a little earlier. Stupid driving = torn up truck....6S or not.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:22 PM
matthew__ruane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get why people rag on lipos for being so unsafe. I would personally prefer to be close to a lipo explosion instead of a Nimh explosion......A singed face or arm is much better than a Nimh cell embedded in your skull. [&:]
Old 11-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Freezetron

No explosion at all is even better. LiFe batteries safety pluses alone might be enough to push them to the industry standard in a few years
Old 11-25-2009, 06:53 PM
gman1

There is no way, that I personally would sacrifice performance over safety. I read that article in Xtreme R/C that a couple of the guy's were referring to and if I recall correctly, the price of going to the Life packs is that you get better safety and a few other miner perks, but the overall performance doesn't match that of the current lipo's. When it comes to R/C I'm all about balls to the walls performance, such as getting the most punch that my equipment will achieve and overall getting the most out of my packs. I feel like switching to the Life packs would be a step down in overall performance, which to me personally isn't worth the switch. Oh and one last perk that I can think of is the fact that the newer packs achieve more cycles throughout the packs life span. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Lipo's are only as dangerous as the person in charge of them. Maybe it's the charger that I use that makes me feel safer than some people out there. I own a Hyperion EOS 5i with a built in AC/DC power supply and I must say that the quality is top notch, and it has the 'smart charge' type feature on it, which keeps safe track of the energy being pumped into the pack, and the charge rate fluctuates (Goes Down ) as the pack reaches a certain point, which is typically about 10 minutes or so before the pack reaches maximum capacity. I'm very happy with it needless to say. Hell I'll even charge my packs right next to my head if I'm lying down or something. I wouldn't suggest this to just anybody, but each individual should know their comfort level and trust their gut in the long run as to what they think they should do in order to avoid 3rd degree burns. If, I'm not mistaken doesn't the pack itself give off warning signs at least a minute or so before it goes up in flames? Such as smoking, puffing, hissing, as well as the pack being very warm/hot? And just as one of the other fellas stated in this thread, I would personally choose the wrath of a quick Lipo flash/fire show, (I can't even consider a Lipo pack, as being an explosion when things go bad.) as opposed to the possibilities of catching some hot shrapnel to the dome (or whatever part of the body it may be.) from a Nimh or Nicd pack.