Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

drivetrain help

Old 05-02-2010, 08:24 PM
6topham9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drivetrain help

So i was driving my savage and the rear tires were dragging. the fronts were spinning like crazy to pull the car, but i put on brakes and the rears lock up..
where do I even start to investigate the problems??? what could it be?
thanks!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:17 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: drivetrain help

spin the spur by hand counter clockwise (same was as the engine) with the wheels off the ground it should be pretty easy and smooth to turn it, and go from there, try to isolate the binding or lack of drive from there by remboving the grub screws that drive the center drive cups

thel ug
Old 05-03-2010, 04:43 AM
wolfie1

sounds like either a grub screw has fallen out as rclugnut has said or the teeth are stripped on ur diff
Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to be. It was a blown out rear diff.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:51 AM
6topham9

wel after i took out the rear diff... i saw it was a set screw in between the center tranny and the brakes.. it had fallen out... havent run it yet, but we shall see,, what a freakin pain... 2 horus of work just to realize it was 1 stupid set screw.... I also noticed that sometimes it wont change in to 3rd gear.... apparently you can adjust that...i opened the isde but dont see the decribed adjustment.. please help some more!!
Old 05-03-2010, 12:08 PM
wolfie1

you get the adjuster by pulling the rubber tab off the side of the gearbox then rotate the spur gear till you see a notch on the gear then hold it and with the 2 right side wheels on the ground rotate 1 of the other wheels till the grub screw which is furthest in (the lower 1) lines up and turn in 1/8 turn counter clockwise at a time till you get it just right, mind and stop ur engine when ur doing this as not to cause damage
Old 05-03-2010, 01:24 PM
6topham9

thank yo very much!! I ws spinning and spinning and I thought the screw fell out... thank you for the tips!!! hopefully it works! I turned it out a little,, the screw felt like it was allll the way screwed in!! it was only getting to 3rd intermittantly..hopefully this does the trick
Old 05-03-2010, 03:42 PM
wolfie1

when you say intermittantly, was it when you were on a full tank you werent by any chance? if so you could be running just a little bit rich then when the fuel level drops it leans out enough to get max power
Old 05-03-2010, 05:17 PM
6topham9

didnt matter... it would just not change, you could tell it needed another gear.... it would just take long.. or not at all.

it was working 2 weeks ago, then a few things happened, and now it wasnt... i did adjust it a little early and will see how it goes
Old 05-04-2010, 01:44 AM
wolfie1

yea it prob just needed tweaking[8D]
Old 05-05-2010, 02:09 PM
6topham9

alrighty!!! its back!! shifting needs a little help still, but 4 wheel drive is back...I have to tune the rich/ lean on the high speed i think... possibly the low and idle speed too.... I wish there was an easy way to tell if its running rich or too lean
Old 05-06-2010, 02:39 AM
wolfie1

there is on full throttle acceleration you should always get smoke too much and ur too rich and worse none and ur too lean and risk engine damage, or you could invest in a temp gun but that has to be used with the smoke method
Old 05-06-2010, 08:34 AM
6topham9

it smokes, just seems to SCREAM!!! everyone talks about wheelies and this wont come close to it (which I dont mind). I believe the engine is the axial 32 spec 1 that the guy put in it and it has the hpi ribbed chrome pipe. Im picking up sway bars tomorrow to slow the roll over rate.
 The noise this thing makes is unreal, you cant even talk around it when its idling, let alone when it rippin around.. loud is good, but this is insane
Old 05-06-2010, 04:09 PM
wolfie1

if it wont wheelie possibily either you a little bit rich on the lsn or the pipe on it is just no good for the engine
Old 05-09-2010, 08:34 PM
6topham9

yea I think the pipe is a bit of an issue. Any recommendations? The one on it is the HPI ribbed one.. apparently its not that good ( i bought this thing used).