Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage xl too big for jumping?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 06:10 AM
///BasHardeR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage xl too big for jumping?

I want to buy a savage but i am debating on whether i should get an x 4.6 with a bunch of hop ups or the xl 5.9 i like to hit BIGjumps and im worried that the xl is too big to hit huge air.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:49 AM
aussiexl59

Default RE: savage xl too big for jumping?

if u want to hit big air then the xl is ur truck...
Old 05-10-2010, 01:50 PM
///BasHardeR

any hop ups i should get for it? Would i be able to jump as high as a revo and a savage x 4.6
Old 05-10-2010, 02:13 PM
FloridaSnookHunter

just upgrade as you go when you break something replace it with something stronger
Old 05-10-2010, 03:58 PM
GRADEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK4ZakKGmQI

that should answer your question quite clearly.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:33 PM
CX_ONE

I agree, The XL is one of the best trucks I have seen for jumping. It seems the longer wheelbase makes it more stable, just MO. And like the other guy said fix and replace as required.

I have also seen some crazy air with the flux as well.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:03 PM
///BasHardeR

what parts usually break the most though because i dont wanna go bashing and break something and have to stop to buy a new part, and that savage jump was sick!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:08 PM
IloveMYxt2

Nothing breaks, seriously. Get the XL for jumping. Its so much better than the X because of its longer and wider wheelbase. I bashed the living daylights out of my XL and nothings ever broke on it.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:39 PM
llkoolskillet

XL for sure my friend keeps cracking his gas tank on his X cause the shock tower is hitting it. With the XL you have lots of room for things to move around. With the Xl you can go WAY BIG and break nothing. The new XL comes with BP diffs and steel center gear and 2.4ghz reciever cant ask for much better out of the box.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:49 AM
///BasHardeR

What do you guys think of the dual engine kit from New Era??
Old 05-11-2010, 06:53 PM
BudBud

I bend a lot of shocks, you might pick up a spare set of stock ones. There are a lot of shock conversion kits out there for various shocks, but the Savage uses an unusually long and somewhat flexible shock. It seems converting them takes away some of their design. Do not buy any of the aluminum Savage shocks, they just bend in the shock arm or blow the caps off the tubes. If you hit a ruck tire, curb, tree, clothesline pole etc.... at high speed, you can bend a hinge pin and rip the A arm off of the pivot pin. Really heavy cartwheeling will break the turnbuckle mounts, letting the rear wheel flop. All cheap to fix and not really that common of a break. I would buy the XL so I did not have to fight the exhaust if nothing else. Glen
Old 05-11-2010, 09:01 PM
FloridaSnookHunter

ORIGINAL: ///BasHardeR

What do you guys think of the dual engine kit from New Era??
the dual engine setups are very cool but thenyou have twice as much engine parts to replace. if you want a powerful upgradeLRP.28, Picco .28,LRP 30, Axail.32 these mentioned engines are good reliable mills. and with the right pipe thesewill slap you in the face with power!

the STS .30 is a good motor cheap too but some of them leavethe factory with holes inthe block causewhenthey casted themdidnt fill out the mold completely. then when machined to spec sometimes you get holes. if you do getasts .30 take it completlyapart and look for defects. if any, send it back for refund. try to finda dealer in your country so you dont have to wait on overseas shipping. thats right they come strait from Hong Kong. I think there is a sts distributer in amarica