Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

How many gallons on your Savage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:05 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many gallons on your Savage?

This is for us guys who have either been with our Savages for many years, or run very frequently and burn a lot of gas. Of course someone can just lie and fudge numbers, but lets keep this informative and reasonable. These machines never cease to amaze me, think of the abuse they see for their size.

My Savage 25 was bought back in the summer of 2005. Since then its had 3 engines through it (S-25- 2.5 gallons, STS .30- 9.5 gallons, Picco .28- .5 gallon) and now has approximately 12.5 gallons on it... All of the drivetrain components minus the diffs (dogbones, cups, transmission) are original. I'm estimating its got over 1000 miles in it already.. So how long/how many gallons have you guys been beating on your Savages for?

Tom.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:26 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How many gallons on your Savage?

about a gallon in mine. Bought it used last year but I don't get it out anywhere near as much as I would like due to the craptastic weather on my days off.

Its on its 2nd engine I got it with a used (and trashed from being ran insanely lean) STS .30 DM in it. Replaced the engine immediately with a K4.6(meant to order a F4.6 was half asleep when I ordered it)
Broke the con-rods bearing in the 1st 12 tanks. I'm guessing it was due to the overly rich stock settings seeing I had issues getting it over 125F when it was 100F out. It would also hydro lock on me. Replaced the con-rod works fine.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sort have a similiar story as the OP....a Savage 25 bought in Dec 2005. Not sure, but about 5 gallons with the 25 engine (the engine has run another gallon or two since then as installed in my OFAN buggy), and now 6 gallons with the 30VG, so about 11 gallons total. Only running gear I had to replace were differential ring gears. Still using original drive cups (and they do show wear) and original dogbones. Not a lot of use overall, but enough to tell me the Savage is a good vehicle.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:21 AM
wolfie1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have had about 10-12 gallons through mine have had 3 k5.9 1 nosram rs30 and now an lrp 30, have replaced the diffs 3 times until i bought the bullitproof ones the 3 speed twice and a couple of broken a arms and countless glo plugs clutch bells and exhaust gaskets oh and an engine plate (i cracked the original) and thats about it, far less than some of my other models with less fuel through them and been driven like they are made of glass
Old 06-22-2010, 07:55 AM
MR4X4KING

I have about 17 gallons thru my stock savage 25 since 2005
this was my first 4wheel drive
i have broken 1 set of bulkheads and 2 bearing carriers
i allways use after run oil and this has never been over 275 degrees
this is a great truck
my collection has grown and grown since then and now i have over 50 cars and trucks
I must be insane or really addicted
i added a few pictures and i will try and post more
thanks
Old 06-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Got mine used about 6 months ago and run 1 gallon on the k4.6 it had in it.  Recently replaced it with an lrp .30 and ony have 7 or so tanks through it so far.  Havent broken or replaced anything on it yet that needed to be replaced....
Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 AM
xXxCellARatOr

I like this topic, thanks for asking.

I bought my Savage X 4.6 in 2006 right when it was released. Since then ive put 15+ gallons on it. Original F4.6 engine had 10gallons on it.
Used a different engine while rebuilding the F4.6 for about 2 gallons, and now ive put about 3 gallons on the rebuilt F4.6 (for a total of over 15 gallons).
It is still on original wheel bearings :|
Old 06-22-2010, 12:37 PM
rcnitrohead

Damn some of your trucks are pretty high mileage guys . Its just a testament as to how tough these things are... Since someone mentioned it, I only listed the drivetrain parts that are original- I've broken almost every part on this truck cept for the skidplates and bumper assemblies haha. I've been through about 4 diffs and 6 pinions, I have a set of bullet proof coming.. The truck was run over in Feb of 2006, about $120 of damage- and the rest of the carnage is from my bashing.. Most of the a-arms are original though, only snapped 2 uppers and 1 lower so far. My favorite truck to date!!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:25 PM
BudBud

I have too many Savages to tell you the truth and have run a lot of different engines in several trucks. I do not think I have any parts that I have not broken at least once....maybe the brake lever and the puck for the brake shoes. I know that in 2008 I burned around 30 gallons of fuel. I did not run nearly as much last year. My original Savage 21 went to a Picco 26, then an Axial 32, then a Picco 27 and a Picco 28. Then I converted it to XL width and finally to XL length. I am not sure I have any of the original truck left. I gave a lot of 21-25 and X parts away through these forums. Glen
Old 06-23-2010, 04:08 PM
brio

Well I purchased my first Savage around 2005. It was a 25 Lim. Ed. I ran about 4 gal in that motor, then replaced it with a K4.6, ran about 4 gal in that and about 2 more after rebuild. I sold that truck and got a Savage X SS 4.6, swapped that motor for an Axial .28, ran about 6-7 gal on that motor, then sold that truck, kept the motor. I then purchased a Savage XL with k5.9, ran about 1 gal, engine blew, back to HPI,(in the meantime I ran the Axial .28 about 1 gal) then after rebuild og k5.9, ran another 4 gal, engine blew, back to HPI again(ran Axial .28 after pinch of piston and sleeve 1 gal), rebuild again, new carb, ran another 3 gal in K5.9, blew again(those k5.9s are garbage!), back to HPI, sent new engine replacement...finally, sold it, picked up LRP .30 (WOW!) So far, I ran about 1 1/2 gal thru that. So my XL truck has about 10-11 gal on it. I probably replaced just about every part on that truck except upper arms, chassis plates, radio box. HPI Savage, X, XL are some tough trucks, cuz let me tell ya. I beat the crap outa each and everyone of them. 
Old 06-23-2010, 11:03 PM
rcnitrohead

ORIGINAL: brio

Well I purchased my first Savage around 2005. It was a 25 Lim. Ed. I ran about 4 gal in that motor, then replaced it with a K4.6, ran about 4 gal in that and about 2 more after rebuild. I sold that truck and got a Savage X SS 4.6, swapped that motor for an Axial .28, ran about 6-7 gal on that motor, then sold that truck, kept the motor. I then purchased a Savage XL with k5.9, ran about 1 gal, engine blew, back to HPI,(in the meantime I ran the Axial .28 about 1 gal) then after rebuild og k5.9, ran another 4 gal, engine blew, back to HPI again(ran Axial .28 after pinch of piston and sleeve 1 gal), rebuild again, new carb, ran another 3 gal in K5.9, blew again(those k5.9s are garbage!), back to HPI, sent new engine replacement...finally, sold it, picked up LRP .30 (WOW!) So far, I ran about 1 1/2 gal thru that. So my XL truck has about 10-11 gal on it. I probably replaced just about every part on that truck except upper arms, chassis plates, radio box. HPI Savage, X, XL are some tough trucks, cuz let me tell ya. I beat the crap outa each and everyone of them.
Hells yeah!!! But believe it or not, the pre-X trucks were tougher IMO... The arms are just amazing, I'll never install X or newer arms on my truck.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:39 PM
gonggongboy

I have had only two Savage's. My first was a Savage 25 ran 3/4 of a gallon then sold got into electric. After a while i bought and older Emaxx got bored of it fast ( to slow for me ). Then i traded it for another Savage 25 ran half a gallon. Thats when the Savage Flux came out, bought Flux TVPs, motor mount , transmission, basically everything to make it a Flux. Im having lots of fun with, but now i want to buy another Savage maybe an XL and keep it nitro. Who knows when that will be though, because now im saving up for a ATV and own 7 RC Cars and 3 RC boats and a plane. I have about 5 projects going on and not much money to spend since im only 15yrs old. Just got a job at a Vineyard/Winery though so now i can buy more RC's... YEESSSSSS
Old 06-25-2010, 08:55 AM
brio

Wow! you sure started young.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:46 AM
dealwithit
My Feedback: (55)

thats an impressive collection for being 15!
Old 06-25-2010, 04:10 PM
gonggongboy

The three boats are projects. Im building one and fixing the two. One will be 23cc and my Hydro nitro and my Catamaran Feigao 9XL. The plane was given to me.

My love for RC's is huge but i cant afford everything i want, so im stuck with tons of projects that may or may not happen. Its not easy being 15 and making money.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:49 AM
wolfie1

good for you gong gong boy! I have a few boats as well mine are all scale tho, i got a tug, cargo ship, yacht, patrol boat, battleship, a customs and excise boat, sewage carrying boat (its the exact same as 1 they use here in scotland) and i did have a fishing boat but i donated it to a local hospital and now its under a glass cover in there i think thats them all but cars really are my favourite, they are all nitros
Old 06-28-2010, 12:54 AM
SLAYERDUDE

Stock XL K5.9.
On gallon #9.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:08 AM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

original xss engine maybe 1

Axial .28 breakin + 2-5 tanks

Picco .28 i would say close to 2

Offtopic i don't think ive even ran a gallon threw my baja5bss

I have a old kyosho motor that i have put 15 gallons threw, and i know would still run if i replace the cooling head and get a new backplate...
Old 06-28-2010, 09:01 AM
brio

@wolfie1...when u say "Scale", u mean a real life size boat, not an RC, correct? If so, that's a lot of boats. Iguess you keep them all at docs? Guess you wouldnt be towing all those
Old 06-28-2010, 12:17 PM
rcnitrohead

ORIGINAL: brio

@ wolfie1...when u say ''Scale'', u mean a real life size boat, not an RC, correct? If so, that's a lot of boats. I guess you keep them all at docs? Guess you wouldnt be towing all those [img][/img]
No, scale- is a segment of R/C where you realistically try to reproduce 1:1 vehicles in a smaller form. Its more for realism and detail.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:10 PM
brio

Oh Isee. Thanks RCnitrohead, never knew that.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:12 PM
brio

I know this is off topic but rcnitrhead, where abouts in Brooklyn are you from? Ihave family there, been there many times. I used to live in LI, NY, just moved to FL in 2008.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:37 PM
rcnitrohead

Sure thing [8D]. I live in mill basin right now, south brooklyn not too far off from the rockaways. I go to school in LI, babylon/farmingdale.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:47 PM
wolfie1

you got it rc nitrohead, have actually won a lot of prizes at model boat regattas for my boats the yacht from the bottom of the keel to the top af the mast is the same height as me thats 5 foot 8 inch my cargo ship is 7 feet long they age all about this sort of size lol, but i havent had them out in years i dont have the vehicle to put them in, when my dad was alive he had a mpv that we used to get them down to the pond in, i have a modded sports coupe so there isint a hope in hell[&o]
Old 06-28-2010, 02:58 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

All I know is that I've spent over $1000 on fuel in the past 6 years. Most of that was from my early high school days when I used to average about a gallon per month during the school year, and a gallon per week during the summer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.