RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   savage flux hp trans question HELP (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/10602338-savage-flux-hp-trans-question-help.html)

canas11267 07-01-2011 09:28 PM

savage flux hp trans question HELP

Ijust bought a savage flux hp.Today was the first day driving it and after about 10 minutes of driving The transmission smelled REALLYhot!Icould smell it when it passed me. Ipiced it up to see if it was the esc or motor but the smell was clearly from the trans. What is causing this?? Help plz

xerxes 07-01-2011 10:04 PM

RE: savage flux hp trans question HELP

nothn in da savage hps trans is adjustable? da only thing dat cood bind wood b pinion 2 spur mesh.

but if ur posetiv its on da trans, chek ur slipper clutch. it shood b crankd down as tight as u can get it. u basically need 2 lock da slippr clutch. in da savage hps case, it shoood nevr slip

Freezetron 07-01-2011 10:04 PM

I sense you forgot to crank down the slipper nut which resulted in the slipper pad rubbing like crazy and you basically toasted it. Take the top of the transmission out, take off the slipper and spur gear, scrape off whats left of the slipper pad, install a new one and crank the slipper locknut all the way down

http://www.offroad-cult.org/Tracktes...be_slipper.jpg

canas11267 07-01-2011 10:09 PM

I do not have another pad can i run it w/o it?? and just tighten the nut??

this is my first brushless!!OMG this thing is insane!! i got the 6s pacs!!

Freezetron 07-01-2011 10:10 PM

ORIGINAL: canas11267

I do not have another pad can i run it w/o it?? and just tighten the nut??

this is my first brushless!! OMG this thing is insane!! i got the 6s pacs!!

Uh no, not unless you wanna replace the whole transmission. And 6S is the reason why you toasted that slipper pad that fast, I did the same thing. Go to the LHS, get new pads and replace it or your gonna damage the truck even more. Take the slipper apart and find out whats left of the slipper pad which I doubt is much, you need to replace it

Let this be a cheap lesson in Flux ownership

xerxes 07-01-2011 10:14 PM

da savage hp cant safely handle 6s

Freezetron 07-01-2011 10:16 PM

And just ignore Xerx, he's just a bitter savage owner

xerxes 07-01-2011 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Freezetron

And just ignore Xerx, he's just a bitter savage owner
y wood he ignor me? i swoopd in & layd down da loose slipper clutch theory b4 u did[&:]

canas11267 07-01-2011 10:21 PM

Isaw somwhere on you are running 6s..I also read that a flux hp can handle 6s.. the 2350 could not handle 6s...i live in the middle of no where Idont thing I will be able to find a pad for the weekend!!!so if i cinch it down that will cure my problem?? Isaw somewhere that a guy added a diff nut or something so it would stay tight??? any ideas?

canas11267 07-01-2011 10:26 PM

Ialso bought the xl kit! Ilove it!! even with the extra length and width the hp is amazing!!!!!!!!!!

xerxes 07-01-2011 10:31 PM

if u stil hav remnants of a slippr pad, wich is dependant on how long u ran it, u cood jus tightn it as hard as u can. if it doesnt slip, ull b ok for a lttle while.
but if ur pad is nearly gone, xerxes woodnt recomend it.

& p.s. electrically, da savage hp can handl 6s. but mechanicaly, it cant.
if u start doin standin bakflips on asphalt on 6s, u WILL strip out ur wheels hexs.

da hpi savage hps claim 2 fame is also its biggst downfall.

lack of a centr diff

canas11267 07-01-2011 10:38 PM

Iam not into the standing bacflips although it happened with out me even trying!! I was going to buy the 2350 but decided to spend the extra money to get the one i wanted. Iam sure it will not take long to wear out a set of tires!!! i didnt drive it long as soon as i noticed it i shut it downit made me nervous! this is my first electric! but its a sick truck

xerxes 07-01-2011 10:45 PM

well u haf 2 lock ur slipper regardless. if u want 6s acceleration wit no backflips, u cant rely on ur slippr clutch.
insted, rely on ur escs punch control. use ur castle link 2 set it to 70%. den punch da throttle n see if its calm enuff. if no, go up 2 80%. wit a lot of punch control, i think youll b ok wit ur slipper pad. also, mor punch control means less stress on da whol truck.

doesnt sound lyk ur guna strip out ur wheels wif wut u wana do wit ur savage tho

Foxy 07-02-2011 02:05 AM

The esc and motor can handle 6S. The rest of the truck will take a terrible beating on 6S without major upgrades. It's that simple. That's why HPI says the 'sweet spot' is 4S. Castle say the same thing. You 'can' run 6S, but if you do, you will be repairing a lot more often. As others have said, replace slipper, crank nut down all the way, wait for the next part to fail (which will be the drivegear by the way, the one with two different cog sizes on one gear, in the center tranny, get an HD one when you get the slipper parts), then it'll be the wheel hexes, then it'll be twisting dogbones, etc etc. If you're going to run 6S, at least gear down to an 18t pinion.

Freezetron 07-02-2011 07:48 AM

Foxy means the main drive gear in the center tranny. Yes, replace it soon or it will leave a helluva mess inside the tranny as it gets stripped to peices as you drive wether 4s or 6s. Keeping the wheel locknuts cranked down will help prevent stripped hex nuts on wheels as as far as twisted dogbones, well, don't land with throttle on and you won't have that problem

steed2-inactive 07-02-2011 08:34 AM

the savage can run 6s happily. obviously more power results in more wear, its the nature of the beast, but if you know how to drive half bad 6s is the only way to go. xerxes logic is like saying the savage x cant handle a clocked picco. if your worried about the savage breaking xerxes then strap a mabuchi 540 tamiya motor in and run a ni-cd 7.2 volt pack and while your at it stop telling new comers the hp cant handle 6s....your confusing people. i have been running 6s for almost a year , but keep in mind i dont go out with the main intent being trying to destroy my truck. the only issue i am continuing to have is the right rear wheel nut coming loose. cheers-scott jamie you will really enjoty the performance and convenience this truck provides.

xerxes 07-02-2011 10:18 AM

ORIGINAL: steed2

the savage can run 6s happily. obviously more power results in more wear, its the nature of the beast, but if you know how to drive half bad 6s is the only way to go. xerxes logic is like saying the savage x cant handle a clocked picco. if your worried about the savage breaking xerxes then strap a mabuchi 540 tamiya motor in and run a ni-cd 7.2 volt pack and while your at it stop telling new comers the hp cant handle 6s....your confusing people. i have been running 6s for almost a year , but keep in mind i dont go out with the main intent being trying to destroy my truck. the only issue i am continuing to have is the right rear wheel nut coming loose. cheers-scott jamie you will really enjoty the performance and convenience this truck provides.
its alredy bin documentd, electricaly it can do 6s. not mechanically. dont mattr if sum kid ran 6s fer 2yrs, its all about da consensus. & da consensus is most hps will shred sumthn or anothr.

& if by " tryn 2 destroy my truk", u meen doin 6s standn bakflips on pavement, wich is endorsed by hpi, & evn demonstraded on ther website/ utube channl, den yes.
im tryin 2 destroy it.

da savage hps claim 2 fame is also its biggst down fall.

lack of a center diff

steed2-inactive 07-02-2011 01:55 PM

then maybe instead of telling people " the hp cant safely handle 6s" you should say something like " if your going to run 6s keep in mind, it is alot of power and may damage your truck/driveline, faster than running 4s" . the way you state it leads people to think the electronics cant handle it. .......or you could realize that many people run 6s happily with normal problems experienced with all rc's and maybe the common denomintor in you issues is your driving. Anybody with a little common sense can see when doing a backflip with their savage, that it is a wee rough on the truck, i do them everytime i run my truck, but maybe only 2 or 3 flips per outing. If you taking your truck, charging her up and just doing backflips the whole time , trying to break the truck so you can say hpi is wrong....so you feel satisfied that you can come on to websites and wine about hpi lying to you.......well my friend, all the power to you, your the one fronting the repair bill. oh and the flux can handle 6s, bottom line!

canas11267 07-03-2011 11:26 AM

Ibought the robinson racing slipper clutch setup with my e bay bucks! so it was only 8 dollars!!! If you havent ordered one Iwill let you know what Ithink

BKoz559 07-03-2011 01:16 PM

Let us know, please. Include a photo if you could.

Back to the subject of the Flux HP transmission: I was driving my flux today when suddenly Iheard a NASTY gear ginding sound. I thought it was my spur/pinon but the mesh was still good. Iturned the wheels by hand and the diffs felt buttery smooth. So, Ithought it was the transmission. Iopened it up in the field and sure enough, the bottom and middle gears were ground up. Apparently they were mis-aligned and were riding on the edges of their teeth. I will obviously have to replace them and Isuppose install shims on the shafts to prevent this from happening again. Does someone manufacture wider gears like the ones on the top shaft? It seems the middle and lower gears are very narrow compared to the others.

Freezetron 07-03-2011 06:10 PM

Nope, I know of no other lower gears makers for the Flux other then HPI ones. Just gonna need to shim them to stay put

llkoolskillet 07-03-2011 06:21 PM

OK im not a Flux guy but a nitro guy. However maybe you can taake an idea off the mod i did and incorporate it in the flux tranny. read the link below it might give you an idea. remember the small things sometimes help.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10543396/tm.htm

I know that the flux comes with either a 2speed or single speed but maybe you can take the 2 speed idler gear or drive gear and make it work on the flux.

Im willing to bet if you take the plastic gear and upgrade to the titainum gear off ebay you could have a pretty badass flux tranny. Im still a little nervous to try it on my own 3speed but modded piccos cant brake this tranny mod:D

BKoz559 07-03-2011 09:01 PM

Ijust read your entire post and I give you 2 thumbs up! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gifhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

I'm trying to make sense of some of it because the Flux tranny opens up top and bottom rather than side to side. Regardless, I need to review it some more to see if I understand the setup correctly.

From what I gather is that the top gears remain the same as they are nice wide gears. The first idler gear that mates with the top gear is good but it's parner on teh same shaft is narrow, which is what stripped in my truck. That narrow idler needs to be swapped with the wider 2 speed idler but modified to fit. Finally a wide drive gear at the bottom needs to be installed to mate with the new modified idler gear. Is the wide drive gear from the 2 speed as well? It doesn't make sense to me that HPI would have used these narrow gears in the Flux since there's SOOO much room in the transmission case. It kind of makes sense in the 3 speed as they cram more gears in the same space.

So, I need an idler and a drive gear from the 2 speed transmission then modify them to fit and shim them properly, correct?

BKoz559 07-03-2011 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

I'm trying to make sense of some of it because the Flux tranny opens up top and bottom rather than side to side. Regardless, I need to review it some more to see if I understand the setup correctly.

Disregard this earlier remark as I realized that the lower half of the tranny does open up side to side.

Anyhow, here are some photos of the damage. Notice the fine layer of metallic dust on the inside of the transmission case. I'm looking in to the parts from the 2 speed and comparing the stock parts from the exploded diagram in the owner's manual. I need to get this thing back on the road because it's a waste of good RC sitting dead on the shelf!

llkoolskillet 07-04-2011 07:04 AM

What you need is the idler gear from the 2 speed and the 2 speed drive gear. The only modifing is done to the drive gear. The idler gear with shaft is taken right out of the 2 speed and flipped around, then put back in and shimmed. However on the flux you might not need to flip it around, you just have to play with it to see what fits. As for the drive gear you have to cut the collar off of it and gently polish the other side and it would mount like normal. The two gears at the top i would upgrade to the HD gears from HPI. Im pretty sure that after this mod you shouldnt have any issues with the tranny.... i hope!