RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   Building a Buggy Eating Savage (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/10634801-building-buggy-eating-savage.html)

Firestorm Maff 07-23-2011 05:55 AM

Building a Buggy Eating Savage

I decided to use a bunch of spare parts i already have to build a Savage.

My current 3 Savages are all modded for a specific purpose. A .21 for mud and wet weather (it swims), a .25 for jumping and an XL for high speed off road.
I raced the XL (with a slight carb leak which needs repair) against a Hyper 7 on grass round a crude circuit and obviously got whooped by it.
So i wondered if a savage could destroy buggies on grass tracks, and this is where the idea come from.

So the truck needs to be light and low down. I started with carbon fibre side plates (unfortunately not low centre gravity ones) and the Savage X 2sp gear box.
Im pretty settled on using the LRP Zr30 Spec2 engine.

Now i would like your advice on parts i should be considering to use on this project, keeping in mind that weight and traction are very important.

How would you personally build a Savage for use as a grass track racer?

I know most would just buy a buggy, but that is far less fun for me.

Philly_RC_Guy 07-23-2011 06:48 AM

RE: Building a Buggy Eating Savage

There's a guy on here named Savage Sam that could help you make a buggy eating Savage. Here's a video of his Savage[link]http://youtu.be/NdEtR9r3c2I[/link]. I'm sure he's not the only person that could help you but he's a good place to start.

jbooker82 07-23-2011 08:25 PM

HPI suspension conversion really helps with handling. Sway bar kit and flux big bores.

TheMachine 07-24-2011 02:28 AM

Not going to happen ! :)

Buggys rule offroad performance "."

sparky 25 07-24-2011 06:15 AM

Thats why i bought myself an ofna buggy this week,

my picco turbo, flm chassis savage is fun but a buggy will always be the more nimble out of the two,

MADDAWG1 07-24-2011 07:54 AM

Yeah i did the same Friday I bought a used Hyper 7 black

PrjctStrtFrce 07-24-2011 05:51 PM

I'm not the seller and do not know the seller, just thought you might want to take a look at this Savage for comparison. [link=http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tag/2463376110.html]Savage[/link]

Firestorm Maff 07-25-2011 03:43 AM

The race savage in the video is awesome!
I found his run through of the mods and found the people who make carbon fibre parts, so will be putting my order in.
I'm having second thoughts on the engine now. Would the Pico P3 be a better option for hitting top speed quicker?
I will widen the trucks stance with xl hub parts, sway bars are on order. Bp diffs will be essential.
Can anyone confirm big bores will be lighter than standard twin shocks?
Also advice needed on wheel selection, I'm assuming dish wheels after using them on the xl but need tyres perfect for grass, obviously taking tyre weight into consideration for fastest acceleration.
Also were savage x upper and lower arms lighter than .25/.21 types? I have only seen pictures but the x arms look slightly thinner in construction.
Thanks for all replys so far.

TheMachine 07-25-2011 07:41 AM

Buy a Flux :)...seriously, if power and speed is what you want !

But anyway, good luck, yes the picco is better...but if you really want an insane engine and have cash buy a novarossi !

4 big bores are lighter than 8 25/21 shocks.

XL adjustable arms i don`t think are lighter but they do allow vital handeling adjustment(camber)

My proline bowties on integy 23mm hex rims are a fair bit lighter than stock wheels...they also handle much much better being low profile, bowties or mulchers offer great grip on grass.

djyjrlz 07-26-2011 04:18 AM

if you buy some jammin crt shock towers and standoffs as well a shocks you can lower the whole truck by about 5cm. you have to cut and drill the towers to fit but when finished.... oh boy does the handling get better! as well as replacing the dogbones for jammin crt cvd joints and fitting truggy wheels. your truggy conversion should be complete. oh and you have to find a way to fit a body on there too. and remember cable ties are your friend.

RazurBlackz 07-26-2011 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Firestorm Maff

I decided to use a bunch of spare parts i already have to build a Savage.

My current 3 Savages are all modded for a specific purpose. A .21 for mud and wet weather (it swims), a .25 for jumping and an XL for high speed off road.
I raced the XL (with a slight carb leak which needs repair) against a Hyper 7 on grass round a crude circuit and obviously got whooped by it.
So i wondered if a savage could destroy buggies on grass tracks, and this is where the idea come from.

So the truck needs to be light and low down. I started with carbon fibre side plates (unfortunately not low centre gravity ones) and the Savage X 2sp gear box.
Im pretty settled on using the LRP Zr30 Spec2 engine.

Now i would like your advice on parts i should be considering to use on this project, keeping in mind that weight and traction are very important.

How would you personally build a Savage for use as a grass track racer?

I know most would just buy a buggy, but that is far less fun for me.
No disrepect...but.....why waste the time and MONEY......its kind of unrealistic.....duh. Savages are bashers......my 2 cents....lol

SyCo_VeNoM 07-26-2011 07:37 PM

ORIGINAL: RazurBlackz

No disrepect...but.....why waste the time and MONEY......its kind of unrealistic.....duh. Savages are bashers......my 2 cents....lol
well I'm guessing its like the one guy we had turn his into a truggy
Cause he can ;)

Some people like to go against the flow and push stuff way beyond its limits to make it do stuff it was never designed for just for fun :D

RazurBlackz 07-26-2011 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Cause he can ;)

Some people like to go against the flow and push stuff way beyond its limits to make it do stuff it was never designed for just for fun :D
Duh......OK.......lol...its like putting a V-8 in a Pinto...RETARDED!!!!

SLAYERDUDE 07-26-2011 08:48 PM

My 2 cents is get a D8T and give it to him...
Savage XL FTW for bashing but, D8T FTW racing.[:-]
Tried to race my XL, then I got the D8T, even with a crappy Axial .28 2S it's insane how I stuck in the top 10 (3 pit stops / VS 1 or 2) in a "big" race againgt medium named dudes.

RazurBlackz 07-26-2011 08:59 PM

X1000!!

supertib 07-26-2011 09:44 PM

well this is kinda what you would be going against

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH5anzb4BTU[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMaHAfrKP4c[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLHjqFVQlzA[/youtube]

steed2-inactive 07-27-2011 04:27 AM

Cause he can ;)

the mustang 2's in the 70's were basically the same as a pinto, and came with a v-8.......now whos retarded...lol. dont be hating on people cause your incapable of modding. modifications are the best part of this hobby.

Firestorm Maff 07-27-2011 03:19 PM

Cause he can ;)

Im 32. I have the money to throw at a nitro truck because its far cheaper than running a second 'weekend' car. Also i dont need a garage.
Why buy a truck when you can custom build one yourself?
I want something other people dont have, and a savage that can at least compete with a stock hyper7 is exactly that.
I only race with friends so dont need to be sensible with what to build.
Its called fun.

domizgood 07-28-2011 04:31 AM

Well said!!!
Only dead fish go with the flow!!

djyjrlz 07-28-2011 09:31 AM

I think the trick here will be to get it as light and low as possible. drop everything that is not needed. lots of carbon parts. possibly add a center diff. anti roll bars, big bore shocks. this will become a massive project if you want it competitive..... almost to the point where it is no longer a savage.

SyCo_VeNoM 07-28-2011 12:23 PM

well technically if your friends DNF you win so wait till a straight away and gun it right into em.
pretend your in one of those monster jam shows :D

steed2-inactive 07-28-2011 07:37 PM

well technically if your friends DNF you win so wait till a straight away and gun it right into em.
this made me laugh cause i can picture a big mean savage chasing a buggy down...crunch!

SyCo_VeNoM 07-28-2011 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: steed2

this made me laugh cause i can picture a big mean savage chasing a buggy down...crunch!
I've done it to my nephews stampede when he thought my nitro was slow cause he could get in front. I was still breaking in the engine(1/4th to 1/2 throttle) and gunned it when he cut me off for the giggles, and launched my savage off it like monster trucks do. He never cut me off again after that :D

Firestorm Maff 07-29-2011 01:39 AM

Some great advice here, thanks!
Things are not going quite to plan though. The supplier I found for carbon fibre parts is not returning emails.
So I will likely get the available parts to get the build moving and later upgrade when I can.
I found a Picco 28 P3 engine around $70 cheaper than list price!
Only difference is the heat sink is short but wide as it is used in a schumacher road car.
BP diffs are next to find and a suitable spur gear to suit the 17t VP-Pro clutch bell (best clutch bell I ever used!).

SyCo_VeNoM 07-29-2011 04:27 AM

you can get the BP diffs off ebay
PLCman seems to have the best deals on them think I got my set for like $80 shipped for the whole diff, bulk head, and shock tower where HPI wants like $35 a pop for the gears alone[:@]