RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   Flux HP 2 or 3 speed transmission (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/11598321-flux-hp-2-3-speed-transmission.html)

cumminspower5.9 04-29-2014 05:57 AM

Flux HP 2 or 3 speed transmission

Is there any reason why a 2 or 3 speed transmission would not work in a Flux HP? I was pondering this last night, but couldn't quite grasp it.

sparky 25 04-29-2014 10:34 AM

It will work,

but you will have no reverse due to the one way bearing in the first speed gear,

and you will also have to run on mechanical brakes, this is also down to the one way bearing in the gearbox,

savage fluxes really don't need 2 or 3 speed transmissions, they are plenty fast on a one speed.

cumminspower5.9 04-29-2014 02:05 PM

Oh I know they are insanely fast as it is. But a modified flux with a 2 or 3 speed would flat out crazy.

Team GxG 06-03-2014 05:51 AM

The 2 and 3 speed transmissions are also designed to work specifically on the nitro models, which has both the motor clutch and the slipper clutch on the spur gear - a double layer of protection for the trans. A variable transmission would probably be fine for flat out speed runs and street driving but I would question its durability off road.

mellg 09-01-2014 11:20 PM

Do one think, just go to your nearest vehicle shopper or mechanics and ask him about your transmissions problems, hop they will resolve it, because they are aware about those type of issues.

Greywolf123 11-11-2014 10:34 AM

I did the electric conversion on my Savage 25 and did some mods to make my tranny a bullet proof 3 speed along with a few mods to the diffs to make them bullet proof also. I changed the rx to a 4 channel so I would have mechanical brakes and put in the reverse module. The reverse module is a VERY fragile thing and DID not last, so I have NO reverse, but I DO have 3 speeds and INSANE does not even come close to the speed this thing has now. As for durability, the only thing that has broken so far is the dog bones. They twisted in half. Replaced them with some a friend made out of some Titanium and the cups also.

Ttowntoolman 11-19-2014 10:44 AM

Sounds like an overcomplicated mess. When the transmission is in 3rd gear it is one to one with the driveline as if there was no transmission at all. By using the transmission, all you have is an under-drive condition until the thing is in 3rd gear. Plus all the added weight of the trans and the servo for the mechanical breaks makes it a heavy turd in theory...........I bet it sounds kind of cool going through the gears when you stand on it though.....

I converted mine to brushless Mamba monster 2200KV by removing the trans all together and putting a spool type drive in the center. No servo needed for the breaks and it has reverse. I actually used the bottom transmission shaft to make my spool so the parts were used out of the trans. The only change I would like to make on it is a center diff instead of the spool because I break dog bones way too much being fully coupled. It is way faster than it is capable of going and it will wheel stand at almost any speed.