RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   savage x as destroying rear diffs (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/11603906-savage-x-destroying-rear-diffs.html)

loudpyps 09-10-2014 08:42 AM

savage x as destroying rear diffs

Hey guys new to the site I've got a savage x ss originally 4.6 but upgraded to 5.9, even before the upgrade I had issues witb rear diff so I upgraded to 4 bevel gear set and still blew it up, I havent pulled it apart yet to see if it was the spider gears or the ring and pinion yet but I was wondering if there's is a complete replacement unit or chromoly parts available? I've been searching for awhile outside of the forums and now im here searching for help

Helpful and informative posts are appreciated

SyCo_VeNoM 09-12-2014 02:47 PM

could get the BP diffs off a newer savage, but you have to replace both at once. They are sold on ebay pulled from as low as $30 a pop shipped. They come with the bulkhead, and shock towers usually and are out of brand new never ran vehicles.

Question are you jumping it?
Diffs mainly break if you land with your finger on the throttle.

loudpyps 09-12-2014 04:33 PM

I haven't "jumped" it, it does however catch some air due to the variations of the ground I'm running on. So yes there has been moments where it has had time to get some hard shocks sent through the drive train from wheel spin. Heck I haven't even kept it together long enough to get it tuned for the weather of the day

Here's some pics of the truck for the heck of it
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1...4269412419.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1...9483342176.jpg

loudpyps 09-12-2014 04:34 PM

I'm sure the oversized tires don't help

SyCo_VeNoM 09-14-2014 12:08 PM

I'm guessing its the slight air you are catching compounded with the tires.
Basically the more rotational mass the more stress on the diff when landing.

-SomeGuy- 09-17-2014 06:06 PM

I know those tires look big but they are surprisingly light. I like mine.

If you have 2 bevel gear diffs and by the look of that pipe you have a truck from 2005, allot has changed since then. A 5.9 in a truck that originally had a .21 or .25 engine wont hold up for long. That pipe is the worst ever, get anything else and it will be an improvement. That pipe is for low end power only, does not have anything for proper top end power.

So to sum it up; you have a truck with the drivetrain for a .21 engine with a 5.9, low end pipe and slightly heavier tires than stock, driving around on bumpy ground. No wonder you're having problems.

loudpyps 09-18-2014 03:53 AM

The only thing that hasn't been upgraded is the pipe and transmission, I've been waiting for a CEN 7.7 pipe to show up on eBay but haven't had any luck yet, and as previously posted I have upgraded to 4 bevel diff gears and Robinson racing metal spur gear. So thanks for you valuable input, considering I posted looking for upgrade parts that I haven't yet been able to find

-SomeGuy- 09-19-2014 07:52 PM

Hey man, I didn't mean to insult you, just clarify things. Sorry if I came across the wrong way.

Unfortunately since you're starting with an older truck and throwing in high torque engines, you'll need allot more than that. The next thing you'll probably encounter is snapped and twisted dogbones. If so you'll need the beefy dogbones, but for that you'll need to change the diffs, diff casings, ALL drive cups and i think there's a couple more things but I'm not sure since I've never done it.

Instead you could get a smaller engine that will be better than what you have. The best bang for the buck is the LRP .28. Easy to break in, easy to tune and under 200$. It'll have more top speed, be easier on the drivetrain and will still wheelie on demand. They also have a .30 and .32.

BTW is the cen pipe the way to go on the 5.9? Last I heard (quite a few years ago) cen pipes were not that great. Not sure it had been tried on the 5.9 though so that's why I ask.

loudpyps 09-20-2014 07:11 AM

There's a couple videos on youtube of 5.9 with CEN pipe, it seems to run a touch better than mine. Sorry for jumping to conclusions, I spend a lot of time on some pretty brutal forums so I tend to switch into defensive mode pretty quickly. I've been replacing parts as they break and like to try to find the best upgrade available when they let go.

The reason I ended up with the 5.9 was because a buddy bought it to replace his hard starting .21 (ended up being bad one-way bearing) and he crashed it into a tree at full tilt due to low battery juice in remote, bent his frame, got pissed and sold me the whole truck for 200 bucks with tons of spare parts and the motor was barely even broke in.

Sure i may be throwing money at this constantly but compared to my full size toys this thing is cheap and fun to tear apart and rebuild in a night, I'm sure eventually it will be pretty insane. Considering I'm not a "basher" it should hold together.....eventually lol