RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   fricken savage! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/1404973-fricken-savage.html)

creeping death 01-05-2004 07:56 PM

fricken savage!

I've had my savage .21 for over a year now, and it ran great for the first 9 months, then it started cutting out at full throttle, after it got to about half tank. so now I put the savage .25 rtr tank on it, with the pickup in the rear, no primer, new fuel line and it still does it...now when I trim back the throttle on my radio it doesn't cut out, but it don't have full power.so, why am I not getting enough fuel...can't be an air bubble issue, since the fuel system is new again. maybe clogged needle valve? HELP! thx :D PS. I've already tried resetting the needles.

Zeroc 01-05-2004 07:58 PM

RE: fricken savage!

Thats because savage sucks ass. Get a t-maxx:D

creeping death 01-05-2004 08:02 PM

I ain't rich enough to keep a t-maxx runnin!:D

rcmtdriver2000 01-05-2004 08:34 PM

If it's cutting out it sounds too lean. Maybe richen he high speed needle a little.Also bring up your idle a touch. Ask yourself,when was the last time I cleaned it? Did I get the needles to factory settings when I noticed a problem? Is the filter clogged?Is the ehaust clogged? If you can answer all these to yourself and are happy with them and still have problems then it's time to clean the outside of the engine and take the carb inlet off and and make sure it's cear. I'am not trying to sound like I'am making fun of you by the way I replied. These are the things I go through before I pull a motor because it's having probems. I hate pulling parts if i don't have to.
If you have ran it constantly 9 months and haven't cleaned it then I'd say it's time for a denatured alchahol bath and a Q-tip rubdown for the motor. Good luck!

G1GY 01-05-2004 10:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Zeroc

I'm glad all of us Canucks aren't this stupid!:D

ThermalRD 01-06-2004 03:22 PM

Loser! Get a life, get in the maxx forum. You must be envious if you need to come over here to the savage forum and make your stupid remarks.

ORIGINAL: Zeroc

creeping death 01-06-2004 07:26 PM

I've taken it all apart 3 times to clean everything, and I also have reset the needles to breakin and started all over. I've had another rc that had a gummed up needle valve and had to be poked out...I will look at that when I get time...thx for all ur help, and long live savage!

Unstable 01-06-2004 08:52 PM

first EVERYONE PLAY NICE.

ok.. now that that is out of the way.

are you getting smoke at full speed? you want a good amout of smoke comeing from the exhast without it spitting fuel.

how is it cutting out.

is is sputtering and running rough then dies? or is it sagging then cutting off.

if its sputtering you are too rich and are flooding out. if its sagging it lean.

also change out the glow plug. it might be on its way out.

check these things then let us know how its running.

creeping death 01-06-2004 10:22 PM

I got plenty of smoke...it just cuts out... the motor doesn't die, but it's like it is just run itself dry of fuel...I can gun it off the line it will cut out right away, or i pick up speed slowly and as soon as i squeeze the throttle all the way, it cuts out...like it is just starved for fuel at full rpm's...well, I'm stumped...I'm going to clean out the high speed needle to get any gummed up fuel out just in case and see what I find..maybe partial blockage and can't get enough fuel at full throttle?

Rex2342 01-07-2004 12:36 AM

Sounds like the half tank lean issue to me but if it ran fine for 9 months that wouldn't make any sense.Take a good look at the inside of the tank to see if any baffles broke off while you were bashing.My buddies Ofna buggy did something similar to what you've described and that was the culprit.

creeping death 01-07-2004 09:57 AM

well, like I said in my original post, I went to the .25 rtr tank( no primer, rear fuel pickup), and new fuel line, and yes it usually starts at around half a tank...hmmm. thought the new tank would cure this...I'm STUMPED![:@]

wakbrdr 01-07-2004 07:41 PM

does it do this if you start out at half a tank, maybe your overheating

Rex2342 01-08-2004 12:48 AM

It's gotta be the tank then.I've heard from the guys at Savage-Central that the new tank still has the leaning issue even with the rear pickup and no primer.Maybe try the header tank mod and see what happens if it still doesn't work your only out 8 bucks for the tank.

crzy-svg-usr 01-08-2004 06:45 AM

do the header tank mod

creeping death 01-08-2004 08:16 AM

where can I get details for the tank mod...I just want to fix this! [:@]

SJMILLER 01-08-2004 11:50 AM

I know I have seen this mod at Savage-Central.com, but you will have to search, sorry I don't have the link. FYI I have a new savage with the new tank and it also will lean out at half tank. I have'nt had any problems though. You may be trying to run yours leaner than me though. My is set so that when it first starts I have to make a couple of high speed passes before it warms up enough to switch intor high, but after that it will keep up fine with the other stock savages I am running against. So when the motor does start to lean a little it is still plenty rich. This is just my personal method, I am not racing for money or anything so I don't mind running the motor a little rich. Good luck, and please let us know how the header mod works out.
Thanks

Rex2342 01-08-2004 01:22 PM

Heres a link to the header tank mod and the Ofna tank mod http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic3265.html

creeping death 01-08-2004 02:45 PM

thx guys...yea, i just took it out and it runs just fine with a full tank, so i just need to figure out what to do...i think the tank mod is the way to go...prob is that header tank is out of stock right now...again thx! ;)

Rex2342 01-08-2004 03:26 PM

There is this one too and it doesn't need a tank guard to mount it. http://www.neweramodels.com/cgi-bin/...y&part_id=1704

creeping death 01-10-2004 07:32 PM

thx Rex...just ordered it...hope this works![sm=thumbup.gif]

badboy2 01-10-2004 11:48 PM

http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0RQA...54941986564112
heres my version of it which i took the idea from rexs forum

Rex2342 01-11-2004 12:30 AM

Thats a sweet header tank setup you got their only I see your using the Ofna tank also?The Ofna tank cures the leaning issue so all that header tank is doing for you is giving you added run times and you'll be able to run longer if your up side down.Thats the way the tank should look when mounted properly though!!GOOD JOB!!!!

badboy2 01-11-2004 03:05 AM

yeah thats why i added the header tank cuz i have the ofna tank

creeping death 01-11-2004 04:13 PM

any tips on mounting the ofna tank?...i have one on the way.

Rex2342 01-11-2004 04:29 PM

If it's the one from New Era it comes with a mounting plate so it should be pretty straight forward.I'm using one I got from my LHS and it didn't come with the mount so I had to wait for the tank guard to get here before I could mount it up.