RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   Most bang for buck bashing hop-ups (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/1503333-most-bang-buck-bashing-hop-ups.html)

beeftip 02-06-2004 04:12 PM

Most bang for buck bashing hop-ups

I hope this will be a "fun" thread. I've got my Savage 25 RTR on order and as there's 3 feet of snow on the ground I'll be doing a lot of bench bashing until spring. So rather than save my money for the kids college education, I'd like to blow some on hop-ups to improve bashing performance and durability.

Here's my criteria:
1. The part must provide a significant improvement over stock. If it only costs me $5 to replace a stock part 3 times a year, I'd rather do that than spend $40 on a hop-up. And I don't give a sh*t about the "looks cool" factor.

2. The improvement to cost ratio must be huge. If I spend $40, I want to see at least a 400% return on improvement. Of course, that could be pretty subjective. So as an example let's say that the $40 part must let me have 4 times as many crappy landings as the stock part would before it broke.

3. I have absolutely no interest in racing. None. Zip. The upgrade must be for improving "bashability" only. So I guess I'm looking to improve durability first, jumping second and torque third.

4. Any upgrade that significantly diminishes the P.I.T.A. factor (Pain in the *****) of owning the truck will be considered a must. For example a failsafe. Or perhaps a factory technician to move into my house and provide 24/7 support. It'd be great if the tech did laundry and cleaning as well.

And no, I'm not a communist. I just think that as long as I try to stay within the bounds of the above criteria, I will be able to enjoy the truck for a long time without breaking the bank.

I appreciate any suggestions and thanks for your time.

ac112785 02-06-2004 04:23 PM

RE: Most bang for buck bashing hop-ups

the first thing you could do to help prevent damage to the underside is to buy an aluminum center skid plate
2. get a steel spur gear if you want your spur to last you forever
3. get a motor saver air filter for the savage engine or get a k&n air filter
4. get some proline mambo wheels and some proline 40 series tires. it offers more stability and better handling
there's other upgrades for it, but these will help a lot with "insurance" :)

caseyddr 02-06-2004 05:16 PM

ORIGINAL: ac112785

the first thing you could do to help prevent damage to the underside is to buy an aluminum center skid plate
2. get a steel spur gear if you want your spur to last you forever
3. get a motor saver air filter for the savage engine or get a k&n air filter
4. get some proline mambo wheels and some proline 40 series tires. it offers more stability and better handling
there's other upgrades for it, but these will help a lot with "insurance" :)

i agree with all BUT the tires.

YanBooth 02-06-2004 06:01 PM

Im planning on getting the EXACT same wheel/tire combo!
Yan

ac112785 02-06-2004 07:10 PM

whats wrong with the tires/wheels i mentioned. they're betten than stock and hotbodies

Savage_Dias 02-06-2004 07:15 PM

Concidering you've already mentioned the fail safe, it's a pretty safe bet. A Motor Saver air filter does WONDERS so definately go for that. A good pipe helps. Locking wheel hexes come in REAL handy for when rims start to strip. Trust me, you don't want to have to look for that pin that goes through the axle if it gets thrown. A skid plate would be nice but I see them as more for bling than anything else. I've never had a problem with my Savage taking damage because I don't have one. If the 25 doesn't come with heavy duty center dogbones you might want to look into that. The 4 gear diff mod is supposed to be a nice durability hop up. I like the idea of the metal spur gear but as long as your mesh stays right the plastic one lasts forever. If it's wrong, it won't last a tank. Locktite is a must investment unless you want to start buying screws by the bag. I'd also recommend a high torque servo. That's all that's coming to mind right now. Main things I would worry about would be the air filter & fail safe.

G1GY 02-06-2004 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: ac112785

Better than aluminum!

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1407924/mpage_1/key_armor%252Cplates/anchor/tm.htm#1407924]Take a look![/link]

beeftip 02-06-2004 07:46 PM

Excellent suggestions. Thanks to all for your replies.

DaSHiKi 02-06-2004 09:45 PM

don't buy a steel spur they are not worth the tranny you have to replace when the spur gear keeps trying to push the transmission you need to have a weak link in the system other wise bad things will happen the cost of a steel spur equals about 10 plastic ones here are the things I would do first:

1. Air Filter

2. aluminum body posts if you bash you need this otherwise you wont be running around with your body on for long trust me :)

3. Aluminum undercarriage ie skidplates

4. Fail safe

5. CVD's

HTH

G1GY 02-07-2004 02:17 AM

ORIGINAL: DaSHiKi

don't buy a steel spur they are not worth the tranny you have to replace when the spur gear keeps trying to push the transmission you need to have a weak link in the system other wise bad things will happen the cost of a steel spur equals about 10 plastic ones
I've seen you post this a few times and this info you are giving is somewhat bogus. The break point in the driveline is in fact the slipper clutch! If you have your slipper properly adjusted, there is "NO" danger to the tranny at all. I've replaced many stock spurs with steel ones and haven't sacrificed a tranny yet. IMO the only drawback of a steel spur is the cost. That's it!

gregmax 02-08-2004 07:11 AM

How about the GPM Titanium spur only $25 and much lighter than the steel spur and much stronger than the plastic spur.
The plastic spur will melt if the slipper slips too much. And yes the slipper is there to protect the tranny so having a steel or Titanium spur will not harm the tranny, just make sure the mesh is set correctly!!

GPM Titanium spur available in 51T, 52T and 53T $25 from www.RCXshop.com (plust shipping of course!)

otterball21 02-08-2004 12:53 PM

bang for your buck and see improvement? I think the very first thing you want to do is

CLEAn UP the steering

It turns horrible. you want to do an Ofna Monster pirate servo Saver modification
It makes the turning radius Much better and the truck responds much better.
You can find this mod in alot of places. You want a high torque servo also when you do this. This would allow the truck to turn alot better.

Honestly, there isn't much that would increase in performance, unless you spend about 300 and buy a Sirio .27 engine for the truck

Otherwise, performance has reached pretty much to it's peak. You can change the gearing to get it to go faster to hit those jumps harder and fly up higher and do more reckless stuff.
The gearing is cheap and can be done easily.

As a savage owner, when I first bought the truck, honestly that's all what it needed. Everything else I am doing to is... is just... extra.... jimmies...on the icecream... sorta speak.

supernova803 02-08-2004 02:00 PM

If you're going to get a skidplate, I would want rear only because on my truck, the front skidplate is spotless while the back has quarter inch gashes in it.

scottm 02-08-2004 04:43 PM

A roll cage is a good investment for a serious basher. Here is a review of the RC solutions cage.

http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...articleid=1077

DaSHiKi 02-08-2004 04:57 PM

GIGY:

and what happens if the clutch is not adjusted properly? and yes you do need a weak link in your truck or you can ruin the whole thing in one shot. You can buy quite a few plastic spurs for the cost of a steel or titanium spur so that would not be a best bang for your buck arguement because there is no performance upgrade from plastic to steel and you can replace them in minutes. if you search under steel spurs you would see more than just myself has said this.

Roll cage would be a great investment if you have the cash the stock handle doesnt guard everything and they look cool too.

MrSavage 02-08-2004 06:00 PM

i'm with ya dashiki, DO NOT buy a steel spur...why would you even want one??? that is just dumb...you can get a regular plastic spur gear to last your whole engine life if the gear mesh is right (which is not hard to do). the spur gear is plastic for a reason...it gives so the more expensive stuff in the tranny doesn't break, steel spur gear is bad!

sdarviavgeer1521 02-08-2004 07:06 PM

exactly right fiv4fghtn. lol.

G1GY 02-09-2004 12:28 AM

I could care less if someone uses a steel or plastic spur, but saying using a steel spur is going to lead to problems is just stupid! Weather or not it's good value or good for performance is totaly a matter of opinion. Anyone who's saying that you will ruin your tranny by using a steel spur should be putting the paint on their lexan bodies rather than sniffing it.:)

DaSHiKi 02-09-2004 08:43 AM

ohhh ok well if you say it is must be the word of god because you know everything and everyone else is stupid.

Sandman2869 02-09-2004 09:02 AM

Fellas, calm down...It's all good :)
Some people might like the steel spur, others think it's a waste of time (I haven't made up my mind yet, so I am sticking with the original until it breaks, then I will have to make up my mind lol), but it's no reason for us to start yelling at each-other. =)

I love this forum, you guys have all been extremely helpful, let's keep that tradition going.

BTW: my recommendation would be to do the steering servo mod for better turning, a new pipe for increased power along with a motor saver air filter....
I did these upgrades and wow, what a difference in power and response time.....Oh yeah, I would also like to recommend the Hitech 645MG servo to replace your stock steering servo. Then you can replace the stock throttle/brake servo with the original steering servo and you will notice better braking as well :)

I hope this helps.

YanBooth 02-09-2004 09:07 AM

Excuse the stupid question, but is there one or two servo's for the throttle/brake? There was one on the T-Maxx, right?
Thanks!
Yan

matster 02-09-2004 10:58 AM

There is one servo for thr/br.

Centre skids - I like the look of the ally ones and they are great protection, but, MOSSDOG (available through this forum) makes a plastic skid which just clips in and is dirt cheap. It looks a bit wierd, I'll admit, but it works.:D

YES to the air filter (Motor Saver or HPI High Performance)
YES to the fail safe.
YES to the Steering servo upgrade (Hitec 645mg)
YES to the throttle/brake linkage mod.

Everything else can wait IMO.

PS. sorry to bring it up again, but, What is the point of a slipper clutch if it doesn't save the gearbox?????? Yep it's your weakpoint.

DaSHiKi 02-09-2004 11:28 AM

so then why are they plastic? and don't say cost because if it was that huge an advantage it would have become an industry standard by now G1GY you said you've seen me post it in other places yeah and you replied with the exact reason that i said they are needed slipper clutches can be adjusted wonrg or lock up on you THAT is why they are plastic.

G1GY 02-09-2004 10:48 PM

ohhh ok well if you say it is must be the word of god because you know everything and everyone else is stupid.
I'm glad you've finaly seen the light my son.

matster 02-10-2004 11:09 AM

so then why are they plastic? and don't say cost because if it was that huge an advantage it would have become an industry standard by now G1GY you said you've seen me post it in other places yeah and you replied with the exact reason that i said they are needed slipper clutches can be adjusted wonrg or lock up on you THAT is why they are plastic.
I asume you are talking about the spur gear??

Plastic IS cheap (like the rest of the stock parts) and it is light, it is also fairly strong. Manufacturers are not going to make things bullet proof out of the box, where's the aftermarket in that!!!!!

I'm not trying to start a war. I have a stock spur, a Delrin spur and a Ti spur. They all work great, metal will obviously last a bit longer than plastic. You need to make sure your slipper is adjusted properly, rather that than, replace the tranny any day;)

My point, ITS UP TO YOU!!!!!