RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   Savage 25 break in question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/1525660-savage-25-break-question.html)

Digimortal 02-13-2004 07:30 PM

Savage 25 break in question

Well, I finally got to run my first tank of fuel through my 25 savage. I'm using traxxas 20%. We have numerous customers who come to the hobby shop here who say it works great so I just decided to go with that. I'll switch to something else like trinity(if I can find it) once I put my picco .26 in it. Anyway, I'm still breaking it in and read the directions and just ran it around in big circles only going half throttle. Man was this engine tight at first, it was rough trying to crank it up.lol What sucks is it starting pouring down rain as soon as I was finished with my first tank. So I can no longer finish breaking it in today. It sounded really rich but I'm thinking I should leave it this way until I've broken it in some more, then I'll lean it out if it needs it afterwards. It is also very slow but I guess that is to be expected since it's still new.Does it sound like I'm doing everything correctly? It sounds like it's really bogging down but I'm thinking that's because the engine is still real tight. I believe the directions say to only run 2 tanks of fuel through break in. I'm thinking at least 5. What do yall think?

Wizz Kid 02-13-2004 07:46 PM

RE: Savage 25 break in question

i ran 2.5- 3 tanks in my breakin, did u remember to let the engine sit at an idol for 1 tank?
the needles are supposed to be factory set but mine wasnt quite there so move the needles whatever works best

Digimortal 02-13-2004 07:53 PM

Yeah I let it idle for 1 tank. It's just the bogging down when I give it gas kind of threw me off. I'm used to the traxxas stuff but this is a completely different kind of engine so I guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow if it doesn't rain and run a few more tanks of fuek through it. I'm thinking it needs to be leaned out on the top end but I'll wait until it's fully broken in.

racer man05 02-13-2004 08:10 PM

id would say that most companys send out there rtr's and other engines factory set and very rich. so ya it is just rich. from what i have seen it tunes up nicely and runs great.

Digimortal 02-13-2004 08:44 PM

Luckily it only rained for about 3 minutes and it is not wet outside at all. I leaned the top end just a tad and man what a difference, of course I'm still leaving it rich for break in but before it would hardly move.I'm still only going half throttle but man all I have to do is just blip it and it's taking off. I can't wait until it's fully broken in. Tomorrow if it doesn't rain it's going to be all fun. I also noticed that when I pull off the air filter and open up the throttle all the way(not running of course) it does not open up all the way. I noticed that alot of rtr trucks are like this. I'm just going to leave it like that until I have it broken all the way. I'm loving it so far and I'm sorry about the tmaxx vs. savage thread.lol I really got flamed for that one but I definately made the right decision.

G1GY 02-14-2004 01:19 AM

If you where looking for a durable truck that doesn't empty your wallet right off the get go, you certainly made a great choice!

LSP972 02-14-2004 09:35 AM

Digimortal,

What happened on the Savage vs T-Maxx thread? Since we live near each other, and I too am deciding between the two trucks, I posted a rather lengthy reply to you the other day on that thread. Then, the thread disappeared. I inquired about it with Mark Vigod, and he said he knew nothing about any threads being closed, deleted, etc.

But I know damn well I didn't dream about typing that long reply. Do we have yet another case of selective censoring on RCU? I was amazed when an earlier thread by some kid with a hormone problem wasn't closed; RCAddict didn't even admonish the boy, if I recall correctly.

So, what was so heinous on that Savage vs. Maxx thread to get it wiped so quickly???. I made the post early in the morning, and it was, like, gone a few hours later.

Sounds like you are enjoying your Savage. Where did you get it from?

I'm still sitting on the fence...:eek: I had about decided on a T-Maxx, but heard something that sorta irritated me. Waiting now to get it verified or denied.

fastdeuce 02-14-2004 06:58 PM

Just bought a Savage 25 but did'nt idle one tank of fuel.... ran it around slowly.... Anyone think theres a problem?

DaSHiKi 02-14-2004 11:15 PM

you should start over and follow the directions or suffer the fate of a man with a bad engine. why didn't you follow th directions in the first place? a little time in the begining gives huge dividends in the end.

VonJava 02-15-2004 12:24 PM

heya daskiki, got your im the other day and went with the savage ss - now it's 20 degrees outside and i can't get the damn thing started - any tips for a noob?

Digimortal 02-15-2004 04:47 PM

Hey Steve, I got an email not too long after I posted that thread from [email protected] and here's what it said:
The message you posted in Monster Trucks (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tt.asp?forumid=160),

titled: " Tmaxx vs. Savage" has been deleted.
Reason:redundant post

Note: Please use the search functon - this topic has been discussed
thousands of times.

Anyway, I am loving my Savage so far. It's still not broken in all the way but it cranks right up and sounds great. I got it from The Airplane Factory located in Mandeville. I don't remember seeing your reply because I didn't get to read any of them.lol Anyway, you can't go wrong with the savage .25 It's seeming pretty easy to break in but it was a little too rich so I had to lean it out just a tiny little bit.

miserynitro 02-15-2004 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: VonJava

heya daskiki, got your im the other day and went with the savage ss - now it's 20 degrees outside and i can't get the damn thing started - any tips for a noob?

If it is that cold, take a hair dryer, and warm up your motor.... or a heat gun... heat it up to like 200 or as close as you can get, then try starting it.... it should start right up, but make sure you don't run too lean, due to the fact colder air is denser.....

VonJava 02-15-2004 08:03 PM

thanks misery - i actually started it inside than took it out - it ran ok - i think it'll need a fair amount of tuning once it's broken in. i'm glad i got the kit though - it's made me much more aware of what's going on mechanically.

miserynitro 02-15-2004 08:27 PM

True to that!!! For people just getting into RC, it is kind of good to get the kits, because they know how everything goes together, and if something isn't right.... they should know where to go to get to it..... as you get more experienced, you just usually know whats wrong, and what has to get done, and building the kits are just the icing on the cake :):) Nothing beats getting that nice box in the mail or from the store..... and putting it together!!